Autumn

Monochrome

He always love sunset espicially in the autumn season, even though some people said that someone who watch sunset a lot is someone who’s sad. Maybe he was indeed sad, but now he loves sunset for another reason. Because sunset gives him hope. Promise. That even though sun completely disappears behind then sky, it will be back again tomorrow. It will keep coming everyday.  No matter how dark world will be, tomorrow it will be bright again. Because sun never lies. Just like now he watches the sunset with a calm but eerie feeling as he walks through the grass field. He lets the blinding orange light shines on the surface of his skin, at the same time that light making the suits that he wears glowing.

 

A middle aged woman smiles at him as he approaching a cherry blossom tree that blooming so beautifully. The pale pink petals that fall to the green grass catch his attention. Funny, how sometimes we just realize that something is beautiful as it disappears. He smiles back as he arrived in front of that woman.

“Thanks for coming.” She said, still with her gentle smiles. He realizes that even though she’s no longer young, but she has beautiful eyes and smile.

“It’s no problem.”

That woman still smiling as he places himself standing beside her. But a while later, she sighs as she looks at the red sky above. He can see that a slight sadness still left on the corner of her eyes. Even though it seems like she tries hard to hide it.

“He used to love sunset very much.” That woman said with wondering eyes.

“Why?”

“Because it’s pretty, he said. But one day he said that he loves sunrise more.”

“Why he changed?” He scoffed.

“Because someone changed him.” She smiles, making her eyes turns into crescent shape. “That someone said that even though sunset is pretty, it’s fading away. Every pretty thing will disappears somehow. On the opposite, sunrise is the fulfilled promise. It said that sun never lies. It gives hope. Just like everything’s back to the start. And every pain of yesterday is forgotten. ”

He chuckles listen to that. Realizing ‘that someone’ saying something that actually right, while she just keep smiling. A petal of cherry blossom fall on her shoulder. He watches her skinny hand takes that petals and keeps it on her palm.

“That someone is your mom.” She said as she lets the petal on her hand falls to the ground. He startled a little, can’t help but lost words. So he just keeps silent as he watches the sky that gets redder.

“I never meet her, but I bet she’s a very adorable person just like you, right? Not just beautiful, she’s also smart and loving person. That’s why he fell for her.”

“But he chose you over her. He loves you more.” He points out the fact. She chuckles.

“Did he?” She asked. A question that she shouldn’t ask, because she should know the answer. A rhetoric question that somehow understandable. Because both of them just not sure if the answer is right or wrong, or just vague.

“He loves you too you know. He might not be able to say or show it. And he clearly aware that you’re a grown up, that it’s too late for him to act as he supposed. But he regrets it. Very much. He said to me that it was the biggest mistake he ever done in life. Not looking for you. Hurting you.” She said, he just gives a soft smirks, somehow he knows that, he believes that…but he can’t lie that it was indeed hurts.

“I know, he must been feel bad too.”

“Yeah, especially he feels bad when you’re hurt the last time you met him. When you left him while crying, he also cried for hours. He feels so useless…for opening your wounds, for not be able to catch you and console you.”

“But I’m fine at the end…he knows that, right? I’m may look delicate, but I’m stronger than that.”

“Yeah, he knows that, Myungsoo-ah…That’s why he’s so proud of you. Even though he might not have right for that, but he just feels so lucky to be able to see you one last time.” She said. Her skinny hand makes its way to Myungsoo’s hand and holds it gently. A sincere smile appears on that young man’s face as he holds that hand back.

“I’m sorry; I’m not there when he leaves.” He said carefully.

“It’s okay. He just hopes that you’ll forgive him. And maybe…just maybe…you’ll see him once in a while.” She smiles again, so is Myungsoo. As the cherry blossom petals keep falling around them, those two people let something big in their heart just go. Burden, pain, hatred, betrayal and maybe…lost longing love. Myungsoo blinks a few times as he looks above watching the red sky turns darker.

 

I forgive you…just be safe in there. Farewell.

 

They walk together side by side through the grass field as the sun almost disappears. Myungsoo was about to bow at her and say farewell when suddenly her driver helps her takes something from her car. A quite big box that seems not really heavy, once he looks on it, Myungsoo already knows what’s in there.

“He really wants to give it to you…on your birthday, which is…4 month from now. But he knows that he won’t be able too. So…will you receive it earlier?” She asked. Myungsoo thinks a little before finally nodded and take that box.

“He knows that you play guitar. Even though he can’t see it directly. But he hopes that you’ll like it.”

“I like it.” He said.

They say goodbye to each other, before she gets in her car and drives away, leaving Myungsoo alone in that field with that guitar box. He sighed a little, before closes his eyes and smiling at the fading sun.

 

He walks out, leaving that grass field towards the front gate. Outside that gate there’s a small park, also with cherry blossom tree that blooming beautifully. A young girl sitting alone in the bench right under the tree. She seems bored after waiting for long enough time. Her hands playing with the empty coffee paper cup. A few petals of cherry blossom fall on her dress, but it seems like she doesn’t care. Myungsoo smiles as he approaching her.

“You wait for too long, right?” He asked.

“Quite long.” She said coldly, while shaking her empty coffee cup. He chuckles.

“Come on…let’s go. I’ll gate you another Espresso.” She smiles hearing that. As she stands up his hands hold hers tightly, making her realizes an eerie feeling.

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

He smiles at her, showing the twinkling sparkle on the corner of his eyes. She just stares; somehow he hates how transparent he is in front of her. He can feels she squeeze his hand tighter.

“Hey, it’s autumn now?” She suddenly said as they walk side by side.

“Yeah…”

“Do you know what they said about autumn?”

“It’s melancholic, somehow sad and…”

“It’s pretty.” She cut his words...for countless time. He just scoffed.

“Right…”

“Like orange, gold, amber and smell of fire in a black and white painting. It’s filled with smells of nostalgia. It’s like paradox. Warm and cold. Monochrome and colorful. Sad and lovely. Just like life. Everything’s comes in pair.” She said.

“And what are you trying to say?” He chuckles.

“I’m saying that…we should enjoy it while it still here…and we should let it go when it has to.” She smiles, the sweetest thing he saw for the whole day. A smile that force him to smile back. Not just because her words is right, it also gives him an easy feeling on his chest.

“Yeah…I know that, kid…Geez, Soyou-ah… just stop saying wise thing. I told you, right?” He playfully poted.

“Well, I can’t fix that. I was born this way.”

She laughs, still holding his hand. He laughs too before continue to walk leaving the cemetery. Leaving the calm and nostalgic feeling that left in there. Just two shadows that slowly fading away along with the sunshine.