A New Identity

Don't Forget About Me

"She's pretty. But I didn't know that you now have a for younger girls." The man who took Aeri chuckled as he talked to Dr. Shin.

"It's not what you think, Dongsuk." Dr. Shin said as he quickly packs his things.

Dongsuk sat on a couch and crossed his legs. "Then what is it?"

"Didn't you remember someone when you saw her face?"

"Hmm..." Dongsuk glanced at Aeri who is still laying unconscious in the couch next to him. "She looks like... Damn it, Sukjin! You got a Soyeon here! Your taste in girls is still the same."

"It's not that." Dr. Shin locked his bags placing them near the door and took out a cheque from his suitcase. "She is Soyeon's daughter. Chunsoo and Soyeon's daughter."

"W-What?! How did you know? How were you able to locate her?"

"Long story, short. It's fate." Dr. Shin signed the cheque. "How much do you want?"

The guy smirked. "Thirty million won is enough for me."

Dr. Shin rolled his eyes. "Forty million, and the proceeds of this house, to keep your mouth shut." He handed him the cheque and took his bags. "Please carry her to my car."

Dongsuk put the check inside his coat and took Aeri outside. After he put her in Dr. Shin's car, he asked. "What are you going to do with the girl?"

"We might go abroad. I want Chunsoo to feel how hard it is to lose someone he loves. Just like how he took Soyeon away from me."

"But you told me that she is Soyeon's daughter. She will also suffer, Sukjin-ah." Dongsuk patted his back.

Sukjin ignored him and went inside his car. He started the engine before turning to Dongsuk. "You need to go as well, my friend. The policemen will be here any time. Please see me tomorrow at three in the afternoon at the Incheon airport with fake identity documents, including a passport, for a girl named Shin Ara, 21 years old, and his father Shin Jiyong." He told him and drove off.

 

"You need to wake up in two hours." Dr. Shin said as he injected something on Aeri. "Please, cooperate." Then, he looked out from the window of his car checking if there are people near them. He sighed in content when he didn't see anyone around. Then, he checked his watch. It's already twelve noon.

Two and a half hours had passed but Aeri is still unconscious. Dr. Shin was about to prepare another injection when he noticed that Aeri stirred. He touched her forehead and she slowly opened her eyes. Dr. Shin smiled at her but she just srunched up her eyebrows.

"W-Who are you?"

"Can you remember anything?" Dr. Shin asked.

Aeri blinked and thought for a while but she could not process anything. Her mind feels blank so she shook her head.

Good. I'm right. She lost all her memories. Dr. Shin smiled. "It's okay, Ara. Everything will be all right. Just trust your appa, okay? Trust me."

"Ara?" Aeri blinked.

"Yes, you're Shin Ara. And I am you appa, Shin Jiyong. You slipped and fell down the stairs and hit your head. You might be having an amnesia right now." Dr. Shin faked a sad face and hugged her. "But it's okay, Ara. Appa is here so don't worry."

Aeri hugged him back and nodded, completely believing what Dr. Shin told her.

"We will be migrating to New York. We lived there for some time and it might bring back your memories." He broke the hug and fixed Aeri's seatbelt before starting the engine and drving to the aiport.

"We will be meeting your Uncle Dongsuk at the airport because he has your passport. Then, we'll take the flight to New York at 3:30."

Aeri just nodded and smiled at Dr. Shin.

 

Arriving at the airport, Dr. Shin looked around to check if Dongsuk is already there. Someone patted his shoulder making him turn around.

"Jiyong."

He saw Dongsuk smirking at him.

"Jiyong, here's what you need." He handed him two envelopes and smiled at Aeri. "Hi, Ara!"

Aeri just stared at him.

"Ara, he's your Uncle Dongsuk." Dr. Shin told her and then turned to Dongsuk. "She has forgotten her memories, Dongsuk. I'm really sorry if she can't rermember you."

Aeri bowed down. "I'm sorry, Uncle Dongsuk. But I will try to remember all my memories! I promise!" She smiled brightly at him.

Dongsuk chuckled and whispered to Dr. Shin. "She's really like Soyeon."

"I know." Dr. Shin whispered back. "You're really good in doing dirty stuff, Dongsuk-ah. But please keep your mouth shut."

They waved goodbye to each other and Dr. Shin and Aeri boarded the plane as soon as their flight was called. Aeri felt like she didn't want to go and something was pulling her back, but she just shrugged it off. I'm with appa. I don't need to worry.

"Appa..." She called Dr. Shin as soon as they settled down in the plane.

"Why?" He smiled hearing her call him 'appa'.

"Where is my umma?"

"Do you really want to know, Ara?"

Aeri nodded her head.

"She...Uhm...Giving birth to you was not that easy that she needed to sacrifice her life for you." Dr. Shin touched her cheeks with his thumbs.

Aeri gasped and covered with her hands. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay, Ara." Dr. Shin gave her a reassuring smile. "I still have you, my precious daughter."

Aeri smiled and held onto Dr. Shin's arm. "Thank you, appa. Thank you for being here with me."

When the plane took off, Aeri had another question for him again. "Are we going back to Korea when my memories come back again?"

Dr. Shin thought for a while. "Maybe..." When your real father already suffered enough.