Chapter Thirty Six

In too deep

Hyuk had put Donghae back in the bed to the adjacent room and dragged himself downstairs to the kitchen.

'What do you want for breakfast, my lord?' Subin asked.

'Could you return to calling me Hyuk, Subin? I've missed it. I'll eat the usual.'

She gave him a warm smile and nodded.

Hyuk rubbed his eyes, trying to fight off sleep.

'That bad?' Heechul came further into the kitchen and seated himself accross from Hyuk. A couple of seconds later Kyu entered as well.

'It's a saturday, what are you doing here?' Hyuk growled.

'Heechul told me about the fight. Spill it.'

'Don't feel like it.' Hyuk said curtly and started to eat.

Heechul and Kyu shared a worried look but decided to let it go. Hae walked in, greeted them and Subin. He completely ignored Hyuk.

'What do you want for breakfast?' Subin asked.

'Nothing, thank you, I'm not hungry.'

'Please eat.' Hyuk said softly.

Hae ignored him. 'Heechul, can we go out today?'

Heechul nodded. Hae hugged him and quickly went upstairs to prepare.

'Please, watch over him.' Hyuk said as he stared at his plate.

'What did you do?' Heechul inquired, trying to control his impatience and worry.

Hyuk looked up at them and they were shocked to see unshed tears.

'Hyuk?' Kyu whispered.

'I'm sorry, Kyu.'

'Why?'

'I should have told you as well.'

The other two gave him some time to collect himself.

'My father killed Donghwa.' Hyuk dropped on them.

Heechul paled while Kyu frowned.

'When I was little, we were very poor. I envied my friends so much. I kept begging my parents to find better jobs. I guess it made my father lose it and accept an offer to murder the two Lee children.'

Hae was about to call for Heechul when he heard Hyuk speak, he stayed outside the kitchen and listened in.

'I-I didn't know. One day, the police stormed in and took him to jail. My mother went nuts. I-I found out she had an affair with a rich man. She would kiss me with those lying and cheating lips.' Hyuk shivered. 'I went to visit my father to ask him what had happened. He came clean. He told me everything except for who ordered him to kill them. He begged for my forgiveness. I was 16 and petrified. I couldn't forgive him for such a horrible deed so I told him he had no son and walked away.' Tears started to escape from Hyuk's eyes. 'He kept screaming at me he did it all for me, so I could lead a good life with the money he had received. The next day my father committed suicide.'

'Oh Hyuk, why didn't you tell me?' Kyu grabbed his friend's hand.

'Continue.' Heechul said, sensing there was more.

'I couldn't get it out of my head and when I turned 18 and started Lee International, I used my resources to find Hae and his parents. I needed to see what my greediness had caused so I went to the aquarium, knowing his school would be there. He was eleven at the time and such a well raised kid. I just looked at him from a distance. Hae kept staring at all the tanks filled with those colourful fishies. He was giggling. Then a kid shoved him to the ground and made him cry. I can't tell you how that made me feel but from that day on, I decided to protect him.'

'B-but you let me do all this research on Lee Corp and the family.' Kyu said astonished.

'Only Kangin knew.' Hyuk said. 'I didn't want y-you to...' his voice broke.

'You thought I'd dump you?' Kyu was shocked.

Hyuk just nodded and looked away.

'You do realise you didn't kill Donghwa, right?' Heechul suddenly said.

Hyuk's face showed conflicting emotions. 'I shouldn't have asked for more money. It's because of...' He couldn't finish.

'And Hae is mad cause you didn't tell him.' Kyu said, wanting to know more of the current situation.

'H-He feels betrayed and used.' Hyuk started sobbing now.

Hae started crying and quickly ran back upstairs before he was found out.

'It all makes sense now.' Heechul said.

'Hmmm?' Kyu looked up at the older.

'Some things didn't add up. I saw you that day at the aquarium. But I thought that was a coincidence until I saw the necklace you gave Hae. Cause how could you know he loves fish? He knows now, right? That he was a target as well?'

'I don't know, he couldn't listen to me yesterday, he was too much in shock.'

'Well he slept with the son of his brother's murderer. He must be confused.' Heechul said.

'You slept together?' Kyu's jaw dropped and eyes bulged out. 'Oh God, Hyuk.'

'I tried!' Hyuk yelled. 'I really tried not to get close to him but it's impossible. I c-can't resist him!'

'It's odd he stayed here though.' Heechul said.

'He thinks I'll ruin Lee Corp if he leaves me.'

'Oh just ing great, Lee Hyukjae!' Heechul burst out.

'He came to that conclusion, I never threatened with that since before the wedding!' Hyuk defended himself.

'Just let him go.' Kyu suggested.

Heechul had to hold Hyuk back as the man was suddenly enraged by the idea.

'Never! I have to protect him. We still don't know who wanted to harm the Lee family so badly, they might try again!' Hyuk shouted.

'But the one harming him now, is you.' Heechul said calmly.

'I-I'll keep my distance.' Hyuk was sick of this conversation and got up.

'Like you did by sleeping with those girls and acting all cold with Hae?'

Hyuk looked up at Heechul and Kyu. 'Please.'

They immediately shut up as they saw the vulnerable look in Hyuk's eyes.

'One more question.' Heechul said.

Hyuk just stared at him with empty eyes.

'When did you fall for him?'

Hyuk's smile was bitter. 'Kangin brought me reports of him, I've always cared but love? I guess when he walked into my office and asked me to think about the employees.' Hyuk's smile fell. 'Yeah, it really started then.'