Chapter Twenty Three

In too deep

Heechul and Hae were seated on Hyuk's expensive couch at his work. The office was huge yet barely decorated. It wasn't the lack of coziness of the room that made Hae shiver, it was the judging look his husband was giving him. He quickly looked at the grey carpet.

'Well?' Hyuk snarled at them.

Heechul sat laid back, his legs crossed and one arm on top of the couch. 'Yes?' He was clearly amused.

'What do you have to say for yourself?' Hyuk barked.

'My job is to protect Hae, he never was in any danger, I don't see a problem here, my lord.' Heechul said.

Hae stiffened at the honorific. He knew he had to defuse the situation before Heechul got angry. 'Hyuk.' He said softly. The cold and piercing gaze was immediately directed to him, he shrank a little. 'I-it's my fault, I asked him to help me.'

'To do what exactly? Did your tiny little brain think about the consequences? What if anyone saw you there? What would they think of you? Of me? Huh?'

'That he was having a good time?' Heechul said calmly.

Hae stretched out his hand and covered one of Heechul's. 'He's right, hyung.'

'He's a jack , young master.' Heechul hissed.

'Show respect!' Hae raised his voice. 'You've gone too far this time, hyung! I'm suspending you for a week!'

Heechul stared at Hae, then a gentle smile appeared on his face. 'You shouldn't be afraid of him like this, Hae Hae.' He said softly.

'Hyung, please.'

'Don't worry, I'll obey and I understand.' Heechul said, kissed Hae's forehead and stood up. 'Hae, could you leave us for just a sec, I need to speak to your husband in private.'

Hae hesitated, he looked at Hyuk and then nodded before he left the room.

'What is it?' Hyuk said coldly.

'Don't let him pay for my boldness.' Heechul said.

They locked eyes. Hyuk was the first to look away. 'I'll see. Anything else?'

'Nice necklace you gave him there although I have no idea why he thinks I gave it to him.' Heechul smirked. 'I played along for fun.'

Hyuk looked down for a second and then back at the bodyguard. 'I'll let him reduce your suspension to three days. I feel better if I know he's fully protected.'

'Oh please, you know I won't leave his side for even an hour. I'll just make sure he doesn't notice me.' Heechul smirked. 'Can you miss Cho for three days here?'

'Why?'

'I want to put him near Hae, since I will have to work from a distance.'

Hyuk thought about it.

'I'll instruct him.' Heechul pushed further. 'And don't worry, that best friend of yours is too loyal to you to take advantage of the situation.'

'How do you...' Hyuk stopped himself.

'How do I know? I know a lot, my dear Hyukjae, more than you think.' Heechul laughed at Hyuk's shocked face. 'Can I go now?'

'Next time you feel adventurous, please enlighten me first.' Hyuk said stifly, trying to get back some control over the conversation..

'Where is the fun in that?' Heechul bowed mockingly and left the room.

 

Hae was in the passenger's seat, making himself as small as possible. Everytime Hyuk stretched his hand out to shift gears, Hae retreated even more.

'Can you stop that? I'm not going to hurt you.' Hyuk blew up.

'Sorry.' Hae said in a tiny voice.

'And stop apologising!' Hyuk yelled.

'S-s.....okay.'

Hyuk breathed in slowly, trying to calm himself down.

Hae tried to relax. He unclenched his fists, dropping the bag in his hand. He quickly picked it back up.

'What's in the bag?' He changed the topic.

'Heechul bought this for me.'

Hyuk frowned. 'What is it?'

'I'm not sure, he told me to ask you.' Hae said softly.

Hyuk threw a suspicious look at the bag. 'Alright, you can show me when we get home.'

'I'm not so sure that is a good idea.' Hae answered.

'Why not?'

'We got it at the shop.' Hae whispered.

The car diverted to the left rather abruptly. Hae's eyes widened in shock, his mouth opened in a silent scream. 

Hyuk quickly got them back on his side of the road, he slowed down and parked the car. He cussed thoroughly. 'I swear Donghae, one day you will effectively kill me!' He panted. When he didn't get any response, he looked to his side.

Hae was very pale and remained motionless.

'Hae, are you okay?' Hyuk asked worriedly. 'Hae? What's wrong? Did you get hurt?' He quickly turned the younger's head his way to check for any bruising or cuts. The pure horror in his husband's eyes terrified him. 'Hae, baby, what's wrong, I don't see any harm. Please say something.'

'Hyung...' Hae whispered. All turned black as he fell unconscious.