A Different Ending

Stubborn Hearts

 

“No,” I denied. “That’s not true. That’s impossible. He wouldn’t do that.”
 
I won’t believe it. That is so not true. He wouldn’t do that. There’s no way he’d do that to me. No. Oppa just made a mistake.
 
“I. . .” I gasped, “. . . can’t breathe.”
 
Wooyoung oppa already pressed the buzzer to call the nurse in. My vision was clouded but I can hear commotions around me though I can’t understand everything. I tried gasping for air but it seemed like my airway was blocked. Then, it finally loosened.
 
 
Later. . .
 
“This is my entire fault,” opa said for the nth time. “I shouldn’t have said anything while you’re still. . .”
 
“Oppa, stop blaming yourself. I was just. . . taken by surprise.”
 
“Still my fault,” he said.
 
“No, it’s not.”
 
He gave me a forced smile. “Thanks.”
 
“Why, though?” I asked.
 
“Why what?” he asked back.
 
“Why did you say that? What make you assume that way?”
 
There was a look of hesitation in him again. “It. . . wasn’t an assumption,” he said. “But I’m not telling you anything anymore.”
 
“But-” I protested.
 
“I’ll tell you when you’re fully recovered and when you’re mentally ready.”
 
I tried protesting again but what he said next shut me up.
 
“I just got you back. If you’ll have another attack like that, I won’t forgive myself. I don’t want to lose you again.”
 
I decided to let it go for the time being. I’m still worried about the pest, of course. But I can’t just go on running if they got the pest all wronged. And for some weird reasons, I know he’s still alive. Like what Seohyun said, he’s not that easy to kill. I’ll hold onto that.
 
~o~
 
Eventually, I was discharged. Of course, I went with oppa to their house. If what Sang Won told me about them stripping our house was true, then it’s not safe to go there. Oppa showed me to the room I’ll be occupying. It was a fancy room, with all the luxuries I used to love. I felt arms wrapped around my waist from behind me. A kiss at the side of my neck sent a shiver down my spine.
 
“Welcome home,” oppa whispered against my skin. He turned me around and went for my lips. The moment our lips made contact, I felt something I never felt before. With that, I pushed him gently away. “Sorry,” he quickly said. “I should have known better than to do that. I just. . . missed you so much.”
 
I tried to smile. “No worries,” I assured him. “I just want to have a. . . talk first.”
 
He sighed. The gesture made him looked so tired. I suddenly felt guilty again.
 
“But if you want to take a rest first, that’s fine with me,” I said.
 
“Let’s sit,” he said and pulled me to the couch at the side of the room. As we settled ourselves, he looked at me for a long moment before taking a deep breath.
 
“Some time ago, you’re father and some of his friends funded some sort of. . .” sighs, “. . . a project. It was your mother’s brainchild.”
 
“My m-mother’s?”
 
“Yes,” oppa answered, wearing a tired smile. “I heard she’s quite a genius.”
 
“Really? Wow. That’s. . . nice to hear,” I said. I don’t really know anything that much about Mom. Dad never talked about her.
 
“It is,” he agreed.
 
“What happened then?”
 
“Someone got impressed with it, a government official. It was then called New Generation Microchip or shortly known as NGM. Your mother was pretty proud with it. But then, she found out that the official was planning to use it to activate a. . .” he paused and looked at me carefully, eyes squinting, “. . .a nuclear weapon, just in case the country will need it. When she found out about it, she secretly exchanged the defect NGM with the effective one. The official doesn’t know about it, of course. But a secret organization found out about it later and they’re planning to get it. Imagined if it falls to the wrong hands? All of us will be puppets.”
 
“But why didn’t they destroy it?” I asked.
 
“Dad told me your Mom wanted to but your Dad said he’ll take care of everything. The others all thought it was destroyed but it turned out it wasn’t. Remember Mr. Shim and Mr. Nah?”
 
“Yes,” I answered.
 
“They knew and I heard one of them slipped. They also found out who wanted to get the microchip so badly that’s why they were killed.”
 
“Oh, God!” I gasped. “But why did Dad didn’t destroy it?”
 
“I don’t know,” he shrugged.
 
“But what does it have to do with Jiyong?” I asked,
 
“He. . . he planned everything. In hope to own the NGM.”
 
“That’s not true.”
 
“I hoped for that, too. But it’s true.”
 
“But who would want their grandparents dead? Who would want to be chased? Surely, Jiyong. . .” my voice trailed as I saw him shook his head.
 
“I can’t explain everything to you, Dara. I’m not HIM. I don’t know how a criminal’s mind work.”
 
“But. . . but that’s just impossible. And how did you. . .?”
 
“I hired some people to do some background check on him. According to the report I received, the Kwons have been playing to gain yours and Uncle’s trust. But eventhough they did gain both of your trusts, Uncle still didn’t tell them where the NGM was. I believe you didn’t tell Jiyong where it is either, right?”
 
“No,” I answered. “I don’t know where it is in the first place.”
 
“Good. At least they don’t know where it is yet.”
 
“Do you know where it is?”
 
“No,” he said. “But I’d rather not know.”
 
“If what you’re saying is true, then Dad is. . .?” I gasped.
 
“Being held hostage? Yes, Dad actually received a call some time before. The call was made by Jiyong’s father. He asked for the NGM in exchange of your father. But Dad doesn’t know where it is either. That’s why he’s pretty busy lately. He’s been looking for it and your father.”
 
“Oh, God! I can’t believe this!”
 
“It’s a lot to take in just one sitting.”
 
“But I can’t understand. They could have just threatened Dad to hurt me. I’m pretty sure he’ll give in.”
 
“I can’t understand, either.”
 
I was silent for a while. Something’s not right here. “I heard. . . I heard the police where looking for him?”
 
“Oh, that. That would be me,” he said. “I went on TV to ask for help to find you and him.”
 
I turned silent again. Everything was a lie? It’s just so hard to believe. I mean, why would Jiyong plan to kill his own grandparents? Why would he let himself suffer?
 
He’s a robot boy, remember? a side of my mind said.
 
But why did he let me escape?
 
“But why did he let me go?” a voiced out loud.
 
Oppa was still for a moment. “He let you go?” he asked in disbelief. “You didn’t escape by yourself?”
 
“No. He let me go,” I said. “Maybe. . . . maybe he thought I’ll drown or. . .”
 
“Or maybe, he found the microchip! Oh no, this is not good. Wait here.”
 
In just a blink, he was gone.
 
Now I understand the importance of the microchip. It meant power. But I can’t understand why Dad didn’t destroy it. Then, there’s Jiyong. Why go into all those trouble and pretense? It’s so not him. I sighed. But, I don’t really know who he is. Sure, he shared some parts of him but are those true? I also know that at that time, he was holding back something from me. Is it this then? Is this the one he’s holding back from me?
 
I can’t believe he lied to me.
 
But did he really lie?
 
Oppa came back later that evening. We were having dinner when the commotion started. The butler went up to him and whispered something in his ear. I looked at him and he was staring back at me. He stood up and I did the same. “Is there something wrong?”
 
“Stay here,” he ordered.
 
“But I want to-” I started but he was already running out of the dining area. I followed silently. So, yeah, I am stubborn. I don’t listen to anyone. While I was running to the gate, it then occurred to me that there were five or six men in black suits following oppa. I frowned at this. What’s with the crowd? And who were they? Oh! Maybe they’re his bodyguards.
 
The thoughts vanished from my head when I saw HIM outside the gate, still looking so beaten. He was wearing the same torn jeans but he got a different shirt but it still looked soiled up, dirty. It was safe to conclude that he went straight here. But why would he do that?
 
“Capture him!” I heard oppa ordered the men. As three men surged forward to open the gate and capture Jiyong, he didn’t fight. He didn’t even protest, actually, it looked like he willingly let the three men get him. “I admire your bravery,” oppa said, sounding surprised as the pest was presented in front of him. “I’m glad you finally decided to surrender.”
 
The pest snorted, slightly swaying in his place. I noticed that his face was a mixture of dirt and dried blood. Then, he looked at me. One of his eyes was drooping while the other was almost normal except for the cut under it. I stepped forward beside oppa.
 
“Dara, I told you to stay inside,” oppa said. I didn’t answer I didn’t even look at him.
 
“What are you doing?” I asked Jiyong. I know I should be shouting at him, I should be angry at him for lying to me. Instead, I only felt a surge of longing.
 
Jiyong’s lips then shaped into that trademark devil smile of his. “I’m your bodyguard, remember? I ought to be where you are.”
 
My heart suddenly swelled, it felt like my chest was going to burst open. Before I even knew it, I threw myself to him, my arms went around his neck and I kissed him. “Oh God, Jiyong!” I breathed in between the kiss. I pulled back and started showering his face with tiny kisses. I kissed him in the lips again. He’s alive! HE’S ALIVE!
 
“Dara!” a voice in shock and pain said. I froze and broke the kiss. I totally forgot everything and everyone. This is how I am with this stupid pest named Kwon Jiyong. I tend to forget about my surroundings. I turned around slowly to face oppa, wearing a guilty look. Yes, I felt guilty instead of being ashamed.
 
“Oppa,” I softly said. “I’m sorry.”
 
I saw the look of shock, disbelief, pain and something else flashed his eyes in one go. Wooyoung oppa hung up his head, pinched the bridge of his nose then sighed. “It’s not supposed to end this way, Dara,” he said and waved his hand. I heard two clicks followed by a stinging pain at the side of my neck. I squeezed the pest’s hand before my vision darkened.