An Unexpected Place To Hide

Stubborn Hearts

 

I blinked my drowsiness away. I quickly straightened up and found myself back in the room I’m occupying. Seohyun was sitting at the edge of my bed. “What happened? I thought. . . .”
 
“Sorry I have to do that to you. I just thought it’d be easier to bring you back here unconscious. I don’t really want to cause a scene. So. . .” she shrugged.
 
“Where is he?” I slowly asked, feeling a sudden stab of headache.
 
“He’s not back yet.”
 
“WHAAT?!?” I burst out, nervously straightening up.
 
“Jeez,” she rolled her eyes, snorting. “Are you worried about Jiyong?”
 
“I. . . of course not! But I’m just . . .” I trailed.
 
“You really don’t have to worry about him. He’s not that easy to kill,” she said. My eyes grew wide. “Calm down, will you?”
 
“But- but what if he was seen and he got caught and. . .”
 
“You have to learn to trust him. But if he really got caught, well, you must admit, it’s really your fault this time.”
 
I bowed, ashamed. “I know. Everything’s my fault,” I mumbled. “It will always be my fault. But aren’t you a bit worried for him?”
 
She shrugged. “I told you, he’s not that easy to kill, least get caught.”
 
There was a sudden commotion from outside the room, a banging and some grunt. We both froze. Seohyun stood up, pulled her gun from behind her. She slowly crept to the door and listened closely. Then, she opened the door and pointed her gun out. “Jiyong!” she breathed. “What the hell?!”
 
“Let me through,” a husky voice said. Seohyun went out and closed the door behind her. I went to the door and leaned an ear against the door.
 
“I brought her back. She’s- you’re drunk!” she said in an accusing tone. “You know you have low tolerance with alcohol! What the hell were you thinking?!”
 
“Oh, she’s back?”
 
“Yes, she’s in the room.”
 
“Let me talk to her,” he said, voice trembling.
 
“Jiyong,” she pleaded.
 
“WHAT?!?” he burst out. “Why are you stopping me?! I want to talk some sense into that stupid, brainless kitten! Maybe she’ll realize the importance of her life!”
 
“Jiyong, you’re drunk and you’ll just say stupid things and hurt her again.”
 
“SO WHAT? She doesn’t mind about my feelings, too, does she? She doesn’t mind hurting other people! Why?!?! Why can’t she see that I’m doing all that I can to protect her? Why can’t she see that, huh?! Why can’t she appreciate that? She’s throwing my efforts away, giving up just like that!”
 
“Jiyong, calm down!” Seohyun raised her voice, too.
 
“How can I calm down when I want to shake the hell out of her?!? Tell me, what else does she want me to do?”
 
“Jiyong, you have to calm down.”
 
“You shouldn’t have brought her back. You should have let her go to her precious boyfriend, to Wooyoung. She feels much safer there! Oh, of course she-”
 
“Jiyong, enough!”
 
“What? So, you’re protecting her now, huh? Stop protecting her because she DOESN’T WANT to be PROTECTED by people like us! She doesn’t appreciate that some people are so willing to risk their lives to keep her alive!”
 
I heard a thud. I quickly opened the door and saw the pest lying on the floor, groaning. “What did you do?” I gasped.
 
“Punched him,” she breathed, massaging her knuckles. “I hope he doesn’t remember this tomorrow.”
 
“But why did you-”
 
“I got scared, okay? I never heard him talk this much before. And I’ve never seen him this angry.”
 
We were silent for a while.
 
“Can you help me bring him to the other room?”
 
“Of course,” I nodded. I helped her drag him to the other room and lay him down on the bed. She took his shoes off while I just watched her silently.
 
“Can you get a basin of water and a towel?” she asked. I nodded silently again and went to fetch what she needs. I silently gave them to her but she just raised her brows at me. “Do you really want ME to do it?” she asked, making me blush.
 
“I don’t really . . .” I trailed.
 
“Fine,” she said and grabbed the items out of my hands. She then set to work. I blushed a little as she started stripping him down to his boxer shorts.
 
“Can I ask you something about. . . about him?” I hesitated. She looked up and shrugged. “I’m just confused, curious actually. Grandma told me about him being called a robot boy or something like that. Is he really like that before?”
 
She sighed. “You’re pretty lucky that Grandma gave you that ring, you know,” she nodded to my finger. I blushed again and waited for her answer. “Yes,” she simply said.
 
“Why? I mean, why was he like that?”
 
“He still is,” she said. “When you’re not around, that is. He usually remains quiet all the time. He doesn’t talk, doesn’t smile, and doesn’t laugh, na-da. I guess he became like that because of how he was raised. The elders of the Kwons are quite. . . strict and not to say pretty scary.”
 
“That’s very hard to believe,” I voiced out, unable to stop myself. It’s just impossible. “He always makes fun of me.”
 
She snorted. “You should have seen him during our training camp. Even the higher ranks were scared of him.”
 
I frowned. “I’m curious about your job, you’re not actually related to the police, or the CIA or the FBI and stuff but-”
 
“Sorry, can’t help you with that. You have to ask Jiyong. It’s quite complicated for me to explain the mechanics of it.”
 
I didn’t press her any further.
 
“I’m glad you’re not angry at me anymore,” I started but when she snorted, I took a step back. “Err, are you?”
 
“I’m not angry at you. I was jealous and pissed,” she said.
 
“J-jealous?”
 
“Yes. But hey, don’t give me that look. What me and Jiyong have is purely platonic.”
 
“But you’re jealous.”
 
“Yes I am. I’m jealous of how you can make him act like a human.”
 
I pouted, remembering Grandma’s words. I really don’t think I should be praised with how I can annoy the pest and make him like a raging volcano everytime.
 
“You should go to sleep. It’s late already.” she said.
 
“You should, too.”
 
 
The following morning. . .
 
A heavy gaze woke me up. I saw him leaning against the closed door. A sudden urge to throw myself in his arms came to me. But before I put it into action, my mind scolded me, asking me why would I do that?
 
Get a grip on yourself, Dara! I mentally told myself. Seeing him looking so fresh and cute and y and argh! No! I just didn’t thought of those words! No, I should not! I should remember all the hurtful things he said. That’s right. He’s verbally abusing me. I can’t let that pass by that easily.
 
“Hmph!” I snobbishly said, crossing my arms on my chest.
 
“Good morning,” he said. I ignored him and went back to bed, closing my eyes again. I heard a sighed, followed by footsteps. I felt the other side of the bed moved but I firmly closed my eyes. “I prepared breakfast for you,” he said.
 
I didn’t answer.
 
“Dara, stop being childish,” he said.
 
Okay, that did it for me. I opened my eyes and pushed myself in a sitting position. I angrily faced him. “Oh, so now you’re calling me Dara, huh?”
 
“I thought you don’t want me to call you any nicknames?” he asked, the corners of his lips slightly lifting.
 
I was taken aback. “Of course not! I’m just. . . I was just wondering. I. . “ I stuttered. I looked at his face and I can see a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Dang it! I fell into his trap! Grr! But I can still retreat and save my face. I turned away from him and lied down again. “I hate you. And I don’t want to talk to you. And I don’t want to see your face again! Or hear your voice again! And don’t you dare touch me with your filthy hands!”
 
“I’m afraid you don’t really have a choice there,” he said.
 
I clamped my mouth shut. I’m not supposed to talk to him but my curiosity won the best out of me. “What does that mean?!” I snapped.
 
“Seohyun’s not with us anymore. I asked her to leave.”
 
My eyes grew wide. “She left?”
 
“Yes.”
 
My eyes grew wider. Does that mean, it’s just the two of us?!?
 
SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!!?!?
 
“I suggest you eat your breakfast already because we’re leaving, too.”
 
I jerked up. “Where are we going?”
 
“We can’t stay here anymore. I think I caused a scene last night. Seohyun already found us a place. She gave the key to me a while ago.”
 
It didn’t escape my notice how he didn’t answer my question. But I’ll find out where we’re going later, so I didn’t press him any longer. And also, Seohyun’s departure is kind of fishy to me. “Where’s the food?” I asked.
 
“Outside,” he answered.
 
“I’m going to eat it but that doesn’t mean I’m talking to you again,” I informed him. “I meant, we’re not okay yet.”
 
“We’re never okay,” he grinned.
 
Dang it! I forgot how he can be so overly annoying and irritating! Argh! Maybe it’s because he’s not been this annoying these past weeks or should I say months? I lost count of time already. But it’s true, though. He’s been so serious and mature after the burial.
 
After eating breakfast and taking a shower, we set to leave again. Both of us wore dark glasses and hooded jackets again. We took a taxi to go to our next destination. Approximately forty five minutes, we arrived at the place.
 
My jaw LITERALLY dropped when I saw the big MOTEL sign right before my eyes. “YOU’VE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME!” I shrieked.
 
“What?” he asked, sounding amused.
 
“Oh, do you think this is funny?!” I hysterically burst out, twirling to face him. “A MOTEL?!? You can’t possibly think of staying here, right?!”
 
“What’s so wrong with staying in a motel?” he asked.
 
“Ugh! Exactly! A MOTEL!! This place is a MOTEL, for Pete’s sake! You are so not going to see me get inside in any of those rooms!”
 
“I think Seohyun chose a perfect place. This will be the last place they expect to find us, knowing your . . . choices,” he said, grinning. Dang it! He’s totally enjoying this! I looked at him suspiciously. “Hey, don’t look at me like that,” he chuckled. “I’m not going to do anything to you. FYI, you’re not my type.”
 
“Well, you’re not my type either!”
 
“Then what’s with all the fuss? It’s not like we’re going to do something. Duh?” he exaggeratedly said, rolling his eyes. He grabbed the bags and stalked off, laughing. I stared at him blankly as he went across the street.
 
I can’t go in a MOTEL especially with him, with just the two of us! Ghad! What the hell was Seohyun thinking?