Back To Being A Brat

Stubborn Hearts

 

Tears started to well up but I fought them hard. She already called me a weakling and I don’t think I’d like to hear it again. “How dare you!” I hissed. “You don’t even know me!”
 
“Oh, I know you. I’ve HEARD EVERYTHING I need to know about you.”
 
“Seohyun, I said that’s enough,” the pest said with so much authority in his voce that the girl fell silent at one.
 
“Of course,” I smirked. “I should have seen it at once. You’re so obviously jealous of me. I wonder why?”
 
I was satisfied as I saw how she turned red. Ha! Did she think I’m that easy? Who does she think she is? Did she think that just because the pest is her bestfriend she’d win? Haha! Now freaking way! She should think twice on crossing me!
 
“If that’s what you think,” she shrugged a while alter. “At least I know the truth.”
 
Okay, that was below the belt. And I thought the fight was on my side. My fists balled. No, I should not let her get into me. I won’t give her that satisfaction. But I can’t help but feel betrayed and left out. I glanced at the pest accusingly. The car suddenly pulled to a stop. I was suddenly on alert, anxious. What’s happening now? I looked around but I didn’t see any threat or danger.
 
“Why did we stop?” Seohyun asked.
 
“Wild cat’s hungry,” he answered.
 
“Ya! I didn’t say anything like that.”
 
“I know. But I also know that you are.”
 
I looked at him, dumbfounded. How the hell did he know? Before I can even ask him, he already stepped off the car. But he told Seohyun to stay put first before walking off. “Huh!” the girl snorted. “You don’t really know how to show gratitude, do you?”
 
“What are you talking about?” I snapped.
 
“The way you treat my bestfriend is so ungrateful and it only shows how rotten your attitude is,” she said.
 
“Before you accuse me of NOT treating YOUR BESTFRIEND properly, maybe you should ask him to treat me nicely, too.”
 
“Oh, so you’re saying that risking his life for you is not a nice treatment? Wow! You really are something, huh?” she sarcastically said. “To think that you don’t deserve to be protected by Jiyong because all these years, you never treated him decently.”
 
“He started it!” I gritted.
 
“Do you expect me to believe you?”
 
I wasn’t able to fire back because the pest came in. We then silently ate our meals. I was taking my time in eating, just like how high-society girls should act. I just realized that I’ve been acting with accord to the pest’s book. It’s about time I go back to my old ways.
 
“Aren’t you done yet?” the pest asked.
 
“Obviously,” I answered.
 
“Oh well. Maybe I’ll just eat this ice cream I bought for you. It’ll just melt if you’re taking so long in eating-”
 
“I’m done!” I announced and grinned as I showed him my empty container of food. I quickly grabbed the ice cream from him. My eyes widened a t once. “Ooooh, perfect. Strawberry!” I trilled. I quickly dig in. I closed my eyes and savored my moment. There’s just something in the way the ice cream melts inside my mouth that’s so satisfying.
 
I was quiet for the rest of the journey, since I’m so busy eating ice cream. I would hear the pest chuckle every now and then. At first, I would look at him, wondering why he’s chuckling. But everytime I do, I would always see him looking at me through the mirror. He’s obviously making fun of me. So, after a while, I ignored him and just concentrated on MY ICE CREAM.
 
The car finally stopped. I looked outside and noticed for the first time that trees were everywhere. The pest and Seohyun stepped off the car. I did the same. As I stepped out, I was momentarily distracted when I saw that we were in the middle of a forest. Obviously, we’re in a province, somewhere out of this world. Jeez. I looked around and saw a house in front, made out of wood. I wrinkled my nose. Gah! The farm was something but this is totally out of the world! I looked down and saw soil. My nose wrinkled again. But of course, what can I expect from a forest, eh? “Ghad! What the heck is this place? The wilderness?!” I said out loud.
 
“You fit so much in here, don’t you think?” the pest said.
 
“What does that mean?”
 
“Well, since you’re a jungle cat, I don’t think you’ll find it hard to blend in,” he shrugged.
 
“Ya! Are you telling me that I have jungle manners?”
 
“Obviously,” the girl sneered.
 
I fumed. They’re obviously teaming up against me. Two against one! It’s so unfair! But I won’t let them beat me. “Okay then, if that’s what you two think,” I nonchalantly said and went back to eating ice cream. I marched off inside, leaving them behind. I know they’re both shocked. Ha! I bet they didn’t expect that from me. But of course, that doesn’t mean they’ve won already. “Where’s my room?” I asked the moment I heard them entered after gathering all the stuff from the car.
 
“The second door in the landing,” the pest said.
 
“Okay. Just bring my stuff in,” I said then dropped the ice cream container on the floor.
 
“What the F?!?” the girl angrily burst.
 
I looked at her with innocent eyes. “Oh, does my JUNGLE MANNERS annoy you? Sorry, can’t help it.”
 
I turned my back on them and headed towards the second door in the landing. Honestly, I don’t really want to leave the container on the floor. But it’s all I could think of fighting back. It seemed unfair that they’re teaming up against me. I should do what I can, right? I grew up quite alone. And it bugs me to see THEM teaming up. It makes me feel more alone.
 
I can’t really remember everything about my childhood years. But before I met the Kwons and Wooyoung oppa, I was usually left in the big house alone, except for the maids and caregivers. Huh! Some caregivers who don’t even give a damn about me. They usually lounge in the living room, watching television, or in the kitchen gossiping or on the phone talking to their boyfriends, ignoring me. They only remember me when it’s time to eat or for sleep. Yeah, I have the best caregivers in the world.
 
Dad wasn’t always at home, always working. When he’s at home, he usually stays in his home office. I was hungry for attention, really. I never told anyone about this because I don’t want them to pity me. That’s why I always do things so I can get Dad’s attention. But when Wooyoung oppa and Uncle came to visit me, I got excited. Then, their visits became frequent. I was really happy because I finally found a friend.
 
We became instant playmates. And I grew selfish. And then, HE came. I was pretty surprised when he shook his head when I asked him if he wants to play. I became uneasy as I was aware that he was watching me closely. I know I crave for attention, but I didn’t expect too much attention from a stranger. And then, he laughed at me and called me fat. That pissed me off. I know he’s just telling the truth but it pissed the hell out of me.
 
“Kitten.”
 
I blinked and looked up. “What are you doing here?” I snapped.
 
“Brought your stuff up,” he said, frowning. “Were you just about to cry?”
 
“Huh! Me? Of course not! Why would I cry? You’re ridiculous!”
 
He sighed. “Sorry about Seohyun. She’s just like that when she’s upset. She can’t accept the death of my grandparents.”
 
I froze. He’s obviously blaming me, too. I angrily faced him. “I know it was my fault! You don’t have to shove it in my face! I’m not that cruel and heartless to forget!”
 
“I’m not blaming you,” he said, sounding surprised.
 
“Yeah, right! I know you do so stop lying!”
 
“I’m telling the-”
 
“Leave me alone!” I cut him off. “I want to be alone!”
 
“I will give you time to be with yourself but you have to understand that I’m not bla-”
 
I started singing at the top of my lungs and covered my ears. I felt that he was trying to take my hands off my ears. As he successfully did, I stepped on his foot hard and ran for the bathroom. I opened the shower and let it washed away everything I feel, still with my clothes on.
 
Funny, I never thought this house got a shower. I thought everything was made of wood. I scooted down the floor, under the spray of water, still singing tunelessly. Then, my voice started to drift away.
 
It was my fault! those words kept on repeating in my head. Eventhough my eyes were open, flashes of dead bodies from my dream kept on showing. It was then that all the weight came to me: the weight of other people’s death because of me; the weight of being in danger; the weight of being away from Dad, Wooyoung oppa and my so-called friends; the weight of being unable to do what I want, to buy what I want; the weight of not knowing the truth; the weight of putting the pest and the girl’s life in danger; the weight of being alone.
 
I don’t know if I can carry them all.