Shoo The Pest Away

Stubborn Hearts

 

“If you don’t make that pest go away, I’ll go on hungry strike! Or better yet, you’ll never see me again!”
 
I stormed out of the room, banging the door closed. I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before. I’ve always wanted to get rid of that pest. Ugh! If I only thought of this before, then I won’t be a laughingstock in school; I’d still be the reigning queen of the campus. I smiled contently as I went to bed. For sure, I won’t be seeing the pest tomorrow anymore! Ah, goodbye pest, hello perfect life!
 
 
The next morning. . .
 
I woke up earlier than I used to. I’m in a good mood today. Haha! I went to wash my face and brush my teeth. I was humming as I went outside. I went to the pest’s room and opened it without knocking. Good thing it wasn’t locked, though. I grinned widely when I didn’t find him. Could it be? Haha. I quickly went to Dad’s room but he wasn’t there, too. Maybe he’s in his home office. So, I immediately went there. I was about to open the door when I heard voices inside.
 
“Jiyong, I can’t let you do that,” I heard Dad said.
 
“I already made my decision, Sir,” the pest answered. So, the pest is still here? Ugh!
 
“Jiyong, if I have to beg you, I will. I can’t give you permission to go.”
 
“I already gave you my reasons, Sir.”
 
What’s going on here? Why would Dad beg the pest not to go?
 
“But Jiyong, the others are still searching for it! I’m afraid some of them already know it’s in my possession.”
 
“Sir, my father would never-“
 
“I don’t have any doubts with your father’s abilities, Jiyong. You know what I’m worried about.”
 
SILENCE.
 
“Sir, if what I told you before proved to be true, then there’s no need to worry,” sighs “I’m really sorry. No offense, Sir, but I already made my decision.”
 
“Very well,” Dad quietly said. “If that’s your decision, then I’ll respect it.”
 
“Thank you, Sir.”
 
I started hearing footsteps getting near to the door. I quickly ran away. That was the weirdest talk I’ve ever heard but right now, I don’t really care about what they’re talking about. Only one thing’s in my mind and that’s the FACT that the pest is going to leave. I don’t even have to go on hungry strike! Haha! Yes! This is the biggest victory I could ever have. This calls for a celebration! I should call my friends. On second thought, I’ll just go surprise them and tell them the good news. I quickly went for a shower and dressed up.
 
I was grinning widely while I was making my way down the stairs. I saw the pest in the garden. “Goodbye, pest!” I shouted then laughed. “I’m so happy I won’t be seeing you anymore soon!”
 
I called on for the driver and stepped into the car. “The Usual,” I said. The car started moving. I glanced outside. I can’t wait to tell them the good news. I wonder how they’ll react uh, for sure, they’d be so amazed with me.
 
“Could you make it faster?” I scowled. I was getting impatient already.
 
“Yes, Miss.”
 
After more than thirty minutes, I finally arrived at The Usual hang out place. I stepped out after telling the driver to wait. I went in and smiled automatically as I saw the girls in our usual spot. Taeyeon saw me and she told the others. I waved at them enthusiastically and went to them. “Hey, girls! Gosh, I’ve got good news today,” I said as I dropped myself beside Hyuna.
 
“Really?” Jihyun asked, raising her brows.
 
“Yep!” I chuckled. “You see, I finally shooed the pest away.”
 
“So, have you girls think-oh”
 
I looked up and saw Jessica. I stood up defiantly, frowning. “What are you doing here?” I asked. The girl snorted in response.
 
“Jess, sorry about this. We’ll settle this,” Hyuna said. I looked at her, feeling betrayed.
 
“What’s the meaning of this?” I asked her but she just gave Jessica an apologetic smile as she stood up and pulled me to a corner.
 
“Gosh, Dara! Are you really that slow? You almost blew our cover!” she said, rolling her eyes.
 
“What are you talking about? And why are you hanging out with that girl? I thought all of you were busy or something that’s why not one of you contacted-“
 
“Gosh, Dara! Spare me the rants, will you? We’re doing you a favor here!”
 
“What favor are you talking about? If this is-“
 
“Can’t you see? We’re trying to SPY on her, befriend her. Who knows, we might discover a dirt in her.”
 
I became silent for a moment. “Oh,” I mumbled, and then chuckled. “I almost believed what the pest told me.”
 
“What did he say?” she asked sharply.
 
“Well, he kind of said you guys abandoned me already and that you were seen hanging out with Jessica, that kind of stuff. Hey, are you alright? You look pale.”
 
“Oh, I’m alright. Really? He said that? Don’t believe him. That’s weird, though. We hang out with Jess in her house and some clubs; I wonder how he saw us?”
 
I clicked my tongue. “The pest is obviously making up stories. Surely, he doesn’t know where that girl’s place is, and he can’t possibly get access to high-end clubs.”
 
“Yeah, you’re right. Oh, here’s a thing. Let’s pretend we’re not friends anymore.”
 
“But why?” I asked.
 
“So Jess won’t be suspicious. In that way, she’ll trust us. Ugh, that girl totally envies you!”
 
“I knew it!” I smirked. “She’s insecure.”
 
“Totally. So, are we on?”
 
“Neh,” I answered.
 
“Good, now go,” she said. “I’ll just keep you updated.”
 
So, I ended up shopping. Aish! I should ring the driver and asked him to carry these shopping bags for me. I took my phone out and started scrolling over the names when I bumped into someone. “Stupid!” I blurted out as the shopping bags dropped on the floor. “Aren’t you looking-”
 
“Mianhe.”
 
I stopped as my eyes widen in surprise. “Wooyoung oppa!”
 
He smiled crookedly. Aigoo! I think I just went to heaven.
 
“Need some hand?” he asked.
 
“Well, I-” I stammered as I watched him pick up the shopping bags. “What are you doing here?”
 
He shrugged before answering. “I had a strong feeling I’ll be seeing someone special here today.”
 
“Oh,” I mumbled, blushing, assuming it’s me. “So, err, have you seen her already?” I asked, just to be safe.
 
“I just bumped into her,” he answered, making me blush even deeper.
 
Gaah! I am so spazzing right now! Is he seeing me in a different light? Aigoo! But then, I suddenly remembered Jessica. “So, how are you and Jessica?” I asked.
 
“Who?” he asked, looking totally confused.
 
“Jessica,” I said again, feeling a bit satisfied with his reaction.
 
“We’re good,” he answered carelessly.
 
“You two, ugh, dating?” I asked. Ugh! I feel so stupid for asking. This is so embarrassing. I think I’m going too obvious here. Oppa looked at me, smiling.
 
“Why’d you ask?”
 
“Just curious,” I shrugged.
 
He snorted. “No, we’re not dating. She’s just a friend.”
 
I smiled at that. I can see it! I can definitely see the light! Kyaa! Just like what everyone knows, What Dara wants, Dara gets.
 
“So, you have any more shops to go?” he broke into my thoughts.
 
“Uhm, well yes but you don’t have to-“
 
“No worries. I’m all for it. I haven’t seen you a while, so I might as well make up for it,” he said as he started walking. What did that mean? Is he hinting something? Gosh! I don’t think I can take all this giddiness anymore!
 
“That reminds me, how come you don’t drop by the house anymore?”
 
He frowned. “Well, I did drop by twice but Jiyong said you don’t want to talk to anyone, so. . . didn’t he tell you that?”
 
I mentally slapped my head. Yes, I did say that. Aish! But I was referring to all of the servants. That pest! Grr. “Oh, sorry about that,” I mumbled.
 
“Tough times?” he asked.
 
“I guess you could say that.”
 
“Hey, cheer up!” he said, lifting my chin up. I instantly felt my cheeks got all warmed up.
 
After stopping a few shops, Woo oppa asked me if I’d like to take a snack. I smiled sheepishly at him and nodded. He led me to a cakeshop. Aigoo! This is so against the girls’ ultimate law of no-carbs, no-fats diet. Err, ice cream is an exception of course. But, nevertheless, since he brought me here, I might as well enjoy the moment.
 
When our orders were served, Woo oppa suddenly became very still, a frown creasing his forehead. “Is there something wrong?” I asked.
 
“I think. . . I think I saw Kwon Jiyong,” he said absentmindedly.
 
“The pest?”
 
“I think it was him,” he said.
 
I chuckled. “That guy doesn’t really go out since he’s preoccupied with his duties in our house. Maybe you just mistook another person as him. He looks so ordinary that he resembles a lot of people.”
 
He didn’t answer as he was still wearing that frown in his face. But then, he shrugged and looked back at me, smiling. “Are you two still fighting?” he asked, making my lips twitched in annoyance. Ugh! That pest! Even if he’s not here, he’s still ruining my moment with oppa! Grr! “You don’t really like him do you?” he continued when I didn’t answer.
 
“Definitely not,” I answered.
 
“Why? I mean, he seemed nice and respectful.”
 
“You don’t know him!” I scowled. “What he shows in school is just a mask. He’s a real devil inside!”
 
“Really?” he asked.
 
“Oh yes!” I nodded.
 
“He makes me curious, though.”
 
I frowned. “Why?”
 
“His father’s always with Uncle, right?” he asked instead.
 
“Neh. Mr. Kwon is like Dad’s all-around personal assistant,” I answered.
 
“Is he with him 24/7?” he continued.
 
“Well, no. of course, Mr. Kwon has to sleep in one of the servant’s quarter with his wife while the others stay in the other one.”
 
“Hmm. I’m not aware that you have two separate servant’s quarter,” he said.
 
“It’s just behind the kitchen. And you don’t wanna go there,” I said, rolling my eyes.
 
“Well, that’s why I’m curious with Jiyong. I mean, you said so yourself, his father is an all around PA of your father and yet he doesn’t sleep anywhere near Uncle. I’m just wondering why Jiyong had his own room, not to say his room’s beside yours.”
 
I frowned. He’s right. How come I never paid attention to it before? Why is the pest receiving special treatment?