A Walk In The Garden

Stubborn Hearts

 

I realized that getting Woo oppa as a tutor was not really a good idea. Not that he’s a bad tutor, really, but it’s just that I pay more attention staring at him than what he’s teaching.
 
I waited anxiously as he checked my papers. He also gives me exercises, you see. “I failed again, didn’t I?”
 
He sighed. “I’m afraid you did.”
 
“Mianhe,” I mumbled and bowed my head down. This is really embarrassing. I suddenly felt his fingers caught my chin and tilted my head up.
 
“Hey, don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. I’m just a bad tutor-”
 
“Oh, no you’re not!” I heated up. “It’s not really your fault if I can’t understand all these theories and equations and-”
 
“Hey, hey. Let’s just stop blaming ourselves, shall we? I guess the theorist and all those philosophers are at fault.”
 
And so, we started blaming and insulting those who are at fault.
 
“You know what, let’s just have a break,” he said.
 
“You want to go out?” I asked.
 
“Hmm. How about a walk in the garden?”
 
“Sounds nice,” I agreed.
 
We walked around the garden in circles, reminiscing our childhood memories. I laughed and smiled at the right places. But the truth is, I wanted to jump and squeal from delight. I was all giddy inside but I tried to compose myself and act with poise.
 
“I remember you always cry everytime you lose the ball game,” he chuckled.
 
“Oh, yeah. I was pretty competitive before. Haha!”
 
The sprinklers suddenly , splashing water over us.
 
“Oh!” I heard Wooyoung oppa exclaimed. My mood was suddenly ruined as my temper started to take over.
 
“That pest! I’m gonna get him for this!” I hissed then turned to oppa. “I’m sorry about this. I promise I’ll make that pest pay for-”
 
“Hey, don’t bother,” he chuckled; amusement was evident on his face. He took my hand and smiled. “Just like the old times,” he said.
 
As we started running around the garden with still the sprinklers on, it felt like those days back when we were so young, just playing around, just the two of us. Who would have thought that the pest’s pranks would turn to my advantage and would turn romantic? As a consolation, I’ll let this one pass. A while later, the sprinklers died.
 
Oppa looked at me then grinned. “Race you to the pool!” he said.
 
So, we ended up in the pool. We were having so much fun, or should I say, I was having the time of my life when the pest interrupted. “Sorry to cut your fun off, but the pool’s scheduled for cleaning today,” he said.
 
I glared at him. “Today? But pool cleaning isn’t done on weekends.”
 
“Change of schedule,” he answered nonchalantly.
 
“Could it wait later? Can’t you see I have a guest?” I asked acidly.
 
“Dara, it’s okay,” Wooyoung oppa said. “I don’t want you to catch cold anyways.”
 
I led oppa to one of the guestrooms so he could take a shower. I offered him clothes but he said he’ll just call someone from his place to bring him clothes.
 
I went to my room and took a shower myself, too. I wanted to take a quick shower so I could be with oppa again but I ended up taking a long shower. The need to appear fresh to him appealed more to me. After being satisfied, I carefully picked a simple Sunday dress and started spraying some perfume on. I face the mirror and started applying light make up. I just let my hair down, just felt like doing it.
 
I twirled over and over in front of the mirror. Ah, how wonderful. The sight of my beautiful face astounds me sometimes. I sometimes wonder how someone can be as perfect as me. After a dozen twirls and gushing over how pretty I am, I went to the guestroom where Woo oppa is. I knocked. “Oppa, are you done?” I asked through the door.
 
The door opened and I was greeted by Jang Wooyoung in a bathrobe. He smiled. “My clothes are not yet here.”
 
“Oh. Are you sure you don’t want to borrow?”
 
“Oh, no. Please don’t bother. Want to come in?”
 
My smile grew wider as I felt myself blush. Aigoo! “Okay,” I answered shyly.
 
He opened the door wider for me, I stepped in. The moment I was inside, oppa closed the door. My heart started beating wildly against my chest.
 
O-MAH-GHAD! Is this it? Is this the moment I've been waiting for? Oh, please let it be!
 
“Hmm. Smells amazing,” he chuckled low. I whirled around so fast that it made me dizzy, momentarily losing my balance. I felt his hands on either side of my arms, steadying me. Then, I gasped as I was face to face with his slightly bare chest, the bathrobe giving me a glimpse to it.
 
I swallowed hard before looking up. “W-what did you say?” I stammered.
 
He chuckled again. “I said your hair smells amazing.”
 
Omona!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I wanna die right now! On second thought, no, I want to stay alive forever. Waah! I just want to applaud myself for letting my hair down. I knew it! I knew it! “Oh,” I mumbled shyly, chuckling a little. Of course, I should not show that I'm so into him though I think he already knows. I discreetly with my eyes. “Thanks,” I added, not breaking eye contact. Eye contact is very important people, bear that in mind.
 
I knew the tantalizing eyes were taking effect when I felt him squeeze both my arms lightly. I started closing the distance between our faces.
 
“Ya, Woo, someone brought this here. He also said your father's looking for you.”
 
I stopped as I felt my heart fell to the floor. I looked at the MOST ANNOYING PEST that ever lived and will ever live on earth. He was looking so smug, leaning on the doorframe. Why is it that he always ruins my moment with oppa? Ugh! The nerve! Oppa let me go and turned towards the door.
 
“Don't you know how to knock?” I snapped.
 
“Sorry,” he smirked. Ugh! He is so getting on my nerves already! I was so close in having my moment with oppa. So close to be exact!
 
“Thanks for bringing it up,” I heard oppa said as he went to get his clothes.
 
“My pleasure,” he answered, smirking at me. “Err, what should I tell him?” the pest asked.
 
Wooyoung oppa looked at me, as if asking me what he should answer. “Tell him to wait,” I said. The pest raised his brows so high that it almost disappeared in his stupid-looking blond hair.
 
Then, he shrugged “If you say so.”
 
Not long after oppa finished putting his clothes on in the bathroom, the pest appeared again. “The driver said it's really urgent for you to go talk to your Dad.”
 
Oppa turned to me. “I'm afraid I have to go,” he said.
 
“Yeah, I guess so.”
 
He smiled then leaned down, planting a soft kiss on my forehead. I felt myself turned scarlet red. “Bye,” he said.
 
“Bye,” I said in a trance-like voice as I watched him go.
 
I was still staring through the door when the pest brought me back to earth harshly. “You look stupid,” he said in disgust.
 
I snapped and threw him a deadly glare. “YA!” I burst out. “WHY DID YOU BARGE IN JUST LIKE THAT WITHOUT KNOCKING? HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW CLOSE I AM TO GETTING MY FIRST KISS?!? Ugh!”
 
He snorted. “How would I know what was about to happen? If I would have- wait a minute!” he exclaimed. “Ohohohoho! You haven't been kissed before? Omo! This is going to be big news! Imagine, the most popular and sought after girl in school haven't been kissed yet? What happened to your flings? Oh, maybe they saw you for who you really are, a jungle cat. Or maybe, you're not really that popular and sought after. Come to think of it, you never had a boyfriend! Ahahahahahaha!”
 
I fumed. “That's not what I meant! What I meant was my first kiss with Wooyoung oppa!” I burst out angrily. I hate it when I'm being laughed at.
 
“Oh, I see. But you DID get your first kiss from him already. Have you forgotten?”
 
“What are you-?”
 
“He kissed you in the forehead just right now, right? But, I hate to be the one to break this to you. The kiss on the forehead is totally not so romantic. People usually do that with their grandparents or when someone is sick. So, what do you think Wooyoung was thinking when he kissed you in the forehead?” he ranted
 
I can feel the volcano inside me is about to erupt.
 
“I know. Maybe he thinks you're sick, you know, out of your wits. Or, maybe you remind him of his grandmother?”
 
I took the vase that was within my reach and threw it at him. But he quickly closed the door. When the vase hit the closed door, the broken pieces fell to the floor loudly. Then, the door opened a little, with his head peering through it. He stuck his tongue out at me. “Aww, too bad. You missed your target. I guess that's your karma for ruining my book,” he mocked then closed the door again. Even so, I can still hear his loud laughter echoing outside.
 
“KWON JIYONG!!!”