The Pest's Weird Grandparents

Stubborn Hearts

My tears were rolling down my cheeks. The pest left a few minutes already. I was left alone, feeling cold in this dark farm. I wish Dad was here. He would ever let this happen to me. Or better yet, Wooyoung oppa.

If the girls were here, they’d surely laugh at me. I sighed as I felt something squeezed my heart. I kind of miss them, actually. Hyuna and her stories about boys, Jihyun with her sarcastic remarks and Taeyeon’s obsession with diamonds. I can’t help but remember what the pest told me before. Truth be told, I was hurt when he said that I only got my so-called friends because of what I have. Because as much as I don’t want to admit it, he was right.

I quickly wiped my tears away as I heard footsteps. I saw the pest with a lot of things in his arms. He was also carrying an emergency light. I saw him put down the things he’s carrying on the ground, not too far from me. I frowned as I watched him do whatever he’s doing. But then, a while later, I realized that he was building a tent. After the tent was put up, he put the light inside then faced me. He slowly walked towards me and scooped m up without any warning, making me squeal from surprise. He walked back to the tent and put me down.

“How’s your foot?” he gently asked as he took my sprained foot and started running his fingers on it. “See where your stubbornness led you?”

“I’m not stubborn”

He sighed and threw something to my face.

“YA!” I snapped and removed the material out of my face. As I did, I saw the pest lying on his back already. I looked at what he threw at me and realized it was a jacket. I sniffed it and smiled as I smelled his familiar scent on it. I put the jacket on and started kicking the pest.

“What do you think are you doing? You can’t sleep here with me!”

“I don’t have plans of sleeping here. I’m just testing if it’s comfortable. And besides, I won’t give you the privilege to lie down beside me” he winked and quickly ran out before I strangle the life out of him. Gah! The nerve of that pest!

The following morning. . .

I felt something poking my side. I groaned in protest. But then, it was persistent. I opened my eyes and saw the pest’s grandmother hovering over me.

“Get up, pretty face” he said and gave me one last poke with her walking stick. I jerked up and went out of the tent. I saw the helpers gathered around us, with the pest, Kevin and an old man with them.

“Oh, so this is our beautiful guest? Hi dear” the old man greeted. “I’m sorry if I wasn’t present yesterday. My old body is failing me now” he said, smiling.

I just looked at him.

“Oh, I’m Jiyong’s grandfather, just call me Grandpa, okay?” he chuckled. I think I like him more than the pest’s grandmother and the pest himself.

“Enough of that” the old woman cut off. “Who among you put this tent up?”

“I did” the pest’s voice emerged.

“You?” the old woman gasped.

“Ah, that’s my boy. Always the gentleman” the old man chuckled.

“You disobeyed me, Jiyong” the old woman said.

“Oh, really? You did that Jiyong? The old man said again. “Good job” he added, patting Jiyong’s back.

“This is not time for jokes, Mr. Kwon”

“Ah, my dear wife. You’re such a party pooper”

My eyes widen. Is this Grandpa for real? I just didn’t hear him say the words “party pooper”! no freaking way!

“Jiyong, you won’t get a meal for the whole day, too”

“You’re so mean. Jiyong was just trying to help the girl” the old man said. “Sorry about my wife, Sandara. She’s just jealous of your beauty. Though I already told her she’s the most beautiful in my eyes and-”

“Enough, old Kwon. Get inside now” the old woman ordered.

“Are they really like that?” I asked the pest as soon as the two oldies went inside.

“Most of the times” he said, shaking his head.

“I wonder what type of relationship my grandparents had? I never really met them. They’re already gone even before I was born” I quietly said.

He was quiet for a while, too. Then, he cleared his throat.

“Follow me. You still have to fill your five baskets” he said.

“I think I prefer your grandfather than you” I mumbled darkly, which earned a round of laughter from him.

He then proceeded to teaching me on how to pick up the oranges.

“Since you’re too short and too small to reach them, you can use a ladder for-”

“I’m not small and I’m not short. I’m one of those petite beauties” I proudly said.

“If you say so” he shrugged. “Sounds the same to me”

“I hate it when you do that” I pouted.

“You have everything I do” he reminded me.

“It’s because you’re so easy to hate”

“But I’m easier to love” he said, chuckling. My head whipped to him as my jaw dropped.

“YUCK! That line is like overkill! Yuck, yuck! You are so disgusting! Eww!” I exclaimed, wrinkling my nose.

“Yeah, right”

“Are you trying to get a move on me?” I asked.

“In your dreams, kitten. I already told you, you’re not my type” he said.

“And you’re not my type either” I said.

“That’s what you think” he winked.

“Yuck!” I burst out again and smacked his head. He just laughed in response.

“Just go fill your baskets”

Later. . .

So, I’m tired already, but I only filled half of my first basket. Grr. I noticed that the helpers are in a good mood today. They were laughing, singing and chatting while doing their jobs. How can they do that? But, I was also silently laughing at their jokes though I didn’t join their conversation. I mean, why should I? I’m Sandara Park, I shouldn’t be mingling with these type of people in the first place.

Then, an idea came up to me. I wonder if they know a little dark secret of the pest. Hmm.

I slowly climbed down the ladder and wear an innocent look and went to the nearest helper.

“Hi” I greeted.

“Hey” he greeted back.

“So, how long have you been working here?”

“Since the first owners” he answered.

I found out that the first owner of this farm was quite corrupt and mean and unfair. Due to the former owner’s extravagant lifestyle: spending money here and there, the farm got bankrupt. That’s when it was sold to the new owner, which I assume was my father. After that, I started asking about the pest. To my dismay, all they said was praises. Pfft. Since I was disappointed, I just went back to what I was doing. I was fuming, of course. How can someone be so clean like him? Am I the only one who can see that he’s not that perfect as EVERYBODY seemed to think? I scowled. How can he be so kind to other people but be so mean to me? Aish! He always picks up a fight with me, annoy me, pester me, scold me, lecture me, shout at me, plays pranks at me, among other things.

Who does he think he is?

I rumbled as I can’t reach the fruit. But I was stubbornly proud. What I want, I should get so I insisted on reaching out for it when the ladder suddenly swayed. I closed my eyes as I was expecting to hit the ground any moment. Instead, I felt strong arms under me. I opened my eyes and saw the pest gazing at me with a very stern look. I know that kind of look. Any moment now, he’s going to scold me, mock me and say how stupid I am blah blah blah.

“What the hell’s gotten into your mind?” he started as he put me down. See? I knew it.

“What did I do wrong now?” I asked back.

He growled. “You’re really hopeless. I’m trying my best to protect you from those guys but can you at least try to be more careful? It would be an insult to me if you get harmed because of your clumsiness and stupidity”

“YA!” I burst out. “I’m not clumsy and I’m definitely not stupid! How dare you speak to me like that? And in the first place, I didn’t ask you to protect me from those guys chasing after me and I don’t even know why. And you’re talking like you can really protect me when you’re just a driver in- wait a minute!” I stopped as my eyes went wide. “Who are you?”

He snorted. “You’re really out of your mind. You’ve known me for years and you still don’t know my name?”

“I’m not asking about your name!” I snapped. “Oh! I know! You’re like a superhero with super powers and-”

The pest laughed. “You’re unbelievable” he said. “Superheroes and superpowers don’t exist in real life”

“Then who are you, Kwon Jiyong? You’re not just a simple driver, are you?”

His laughter faded as his face went blank.

“You have to move the ladder if you can’t reach the fruit” he said instead.