His Thoughts

Stubborn Hearts

 

JIYONG's POV
 
The cracking flames, chirping of the insects, soft whisper of the wind, silent sounds of the other inhabitants of the forest and the sound of three people breathing consumed me. The night has advanced and grew deeper, the darkness emerged- it was getting late.
 
“You were pretty harsh on her,” Seohyun broke the seemingly never-ending silence between us. I was leaning against a tree, a bit farther from the tent while she was leaning on her own tree across from me, nearer to the tent.
 
I didn't find it in me to defend myself. What's there to defend when I'm shamelessly and shamefully guilty at the same time? “And I can see you're friends with her already when just this morning, you were throwing a lot of curses to the wind because of her.”
 
She chuckled “Being evasive, are you?”
 
I just shrugged.
 
“She was just worried about you,” she said. “I'm sure you heard that. I heard her screaming your name; I heard the hysteria in it. That changed a few things about how I feel for her.”
 
“She should not worry about anything or anyone aside from herself,” I pointed out.
 
“You can't dictate someone on what and how he or she should feel.”
 
That was a good reason, but it's still pointless. I can take care of myself and I don't really care if I die. Half of my life, or maybe more than half, was all about protecting her. If something happens to her, it's like my life has been taken away from me, too. And I'm not going to let her stubbornness do that.
 
“Maybe we should teach her how to use a gun or defend herself. In that way, what happened a while ago won't happen again,” she suggested.
 
“No.”
 
“But why?” she asked.
 
“Do you really think she can point a gun and pull the trigger even if that someone is the devil himself?” I questioned.
 
“Well. . . maybe if-”
 
“I don't want her hands to get tainted with blood,” I said, “She's too pure for that. And I prefer that she remains that way.”
 
“Okay. I give up,” she said in a defeated voice. “I can't understand what's so special about her. It's taken that she's pretty, rich and stupidly funny and hilarious but I don't see anything special in that.”
 
I know she's been dying to ask me that for years, only, she didn't have enough courage to do so. She may be my closest friend and I may be telling her stuff, but that doesn't mean I tell her everything. “She's not my type,” I said instead.
 
“I know,” she answered impatiently. “But that didn't stop you from falling for her.”
 
I stretched my legs and stared at the dancing flames again. I know she's starting to get impatient. I don't really have to tell her but, she's been with me for years already, and she helped me through a lot. “Remember when we were kids?” I started. “Remember how I never play?”
 
“Yes,” she said.
 
“It's because no one really asked me to. I can sense that the other kids didn't want me to play with them.”
 
“Who would be? Everyone's scared of you,” she snorted. “I was scared of you myself.”
 
“When we went to the Parks' residence, I was told to observe the girl playing in the garden. I was brought to the garden and I silently observed her when she approached me and asked me if I want to play.”
 
I fell silent for a moment. “She was the first person who asked me to play. And she was also the first person who shouted at me like that. When I'm with her, I can be the person that I can't be with my family. It may seem shallow to some, even to you. But sometimes, the small things leave the biggest marks.”
 
“I guess I should admire her for her bravery for asking you and shouting at you,” she chuckled.
 
“Yes. She can be stupidly brave at some events,” I agreed.
 
“You know how she feels for you, don't you?” she asked, eyes narrowing.
 
I hesitated for a moment, but then, chose to answer. “Yes.”
 
“Let me take a guess. She doesn't know how she feels for you yet, does she?”
 
“No,” I said.
 
“You're not err, going to take advantage of that knowledge, are you?”
 
“No. I want her to realize it herself.”
 
“You're as stubborn as her,” she said matter-of-factly. “And I bet you're not going to tell her about how you feel unless she realizes it, too.”
 
I didn't answer and looked at the tent. No, I won't tell her. I want to take that shield her mind created for her because of her mother's death. I know she secretly blames herself. I know she thinks her father blames her, too. And I also know that she's not aware that she's blaming herself. Complicated as it sounds, but it's true.
 
“No. . .! Don’t touch me!” she cried from the tent.
 
“Ugh! She's dreaming again!” Seohyun groaned. “Don't wake her up,” she said as she saw me stood up.
 
“Why not? She's having a nightmare!”
 
“She needs sleep. Just go sleep with her, she'll be- ya! Don't look at me like that! I meant literally, not figuratively.”
 
I just stared at her blankly.
 
“Just lie down with her for a minute or two. She'll calm down, trust me.”
 
I remained standing in my spot. She scowled and stood up. She went to me, grabbed my arm and dragged me to the tent. She opened it and pushed me inside. “Hug her or put her head in your arm,” she commanded then walked away.
 
“No! Please don't! Stop!” Dara screamed. With a shrug, I did what Seohyun told me as the kitten tossed around, screaming and crying. After a while, her screams turned to whimper; her cries turned to sobs. I gathered her closer to my body, and then, she totally went silent. Her hand was on my chest. I wonder if she can feel my heart beating fast.
 
I stared at her face, at her lips. My thumb traced its shape and smiled, remembering how it felt- aish! I shouldn't be thinking of stuff like this especially I'm THIS near to her.
 
With a groan. I stood up and left the tent. Being close to her with some not-so-appropriate thoughts in my mind is dangerous.
 
“I told you so,” I heard Seohyun snort as I went back to my tree.
 
“Jiyong!” the Kitten cried again. I quickly jumped to my feet and went to the tent, zipping it open. Seohyun went to my side to see what's going on. I stared blankly at the wild cat and found out that she's still fast asleep. “Jiyong,” she sobbed again. “I'm so sorry.”
 
I felt a warm invisible hand touched my heart as I watched her in her sleep. She's dreaming of me. I can't quite describe the feeling it brought me. I smiled a little and zipped the tent close again.
 
“You owe her an apology,” Seohyun said.
 
I didn't answer and went back to my post. Yes, I do owe her an apology but I'm not going to do that. “Why don't you just go to sleep?” I suggested to Seohyun.
 
“Yeah, I'm kinda sleepy,” she yawned.
 
“Jiyong, don't go!” the wild cat called out again.
 
“Jeez, that's just so embarrassing,” Seohyun rolled her eyes. “I'm glad I don't talk in my sleep.”
 
Seohyun shifted to the side and closed her eyes. When the usual sounds of the night filled me again, my mind started working. By tomorrow afternoon, we'll be out of the forest. It'll be hard to find a place to stay now that I'm being hunted by the cops and not say, Dara's being chased. I'm grateful to Kevin for informing Seohyun about the fact that I'm on the wanted list now.
 
I shook my head. I remembered how I got so pissed off when Seohyun walked in on me and the kitten while we were, err, doing our thing. But when she told me about me being accused as a kidnapper, my irritation somehow lessened.
 
I leaned my head against the tree and looked upwards. I need more evidences. My evidences were just enough FOR ME to know the people behind this but they're not enough to get them arrested. Once I had enough evidences, the Kitten won't be in danger anymore. A giggle from the tent broke my reverie. “Jiyong, that tickles!”
 
I stared at the tent, amused. Looks like me and the wild cat are in the same train of thoughts. After the seemingly non-stop giggles, she started, uhm, making sounds that sounded more like moans.
 
“Gah!” Seohyun burst out, looking very flustered and annoyed, her hair in complete disarray as she stood and walked faraway from the tent.
 
“You're still awake. I thought you were already sleeping,” I said.
 
“How can I sleep when your girl's having wet dreams about you? And she seemed proud of it to say it out loud!” she snapped, brows totally meshed together and eyes spitting fire.
 
“At least she's not having nightmares,” I said.
 
Her head whipped at me dangerously. “I can tell you're rather enjoying yourself with what you're hearing! I can't believe this!” she exclaimed. “Well, go ahead and amuse yourself because she won't be like that anymore tomorrow”.
 
“I'm just saying that-”
 
“No, don't explain and defend yourself,” she snapped.
 
“Okay, if that's what you want,” I answered.
 
END OF JIYONG's POV