A Gift From Grandma

Stubborn Hearts

 

I started to get used to the kind of life in this farm as the days went on. But I must say, there were a lot of times that I whined and complained of going out. And I mean, really go out. I’ve been living in this farm for too long. I’m afraid that it’s starting to grow on me.
 
To my surprise, I find the helpers quite honest, frank. They’d tell you if they don’t like you or what you’re doing or anything like that. But they’re also genuinely sincere with praises and concerns. It felt refreshing to be surrounded with this type of people, actually. That’s when I realized that I’ve been mingling with people totally opposite to the helpers.
 
Kevin, on the other hand, amuses me. He kind of reminds me of those fanboys before. I find him cute and sweet, yes. But, I don’t know.
 
Grandpa was a different story. I adore him. He’s just so sweet and funny and gentle and caring. It’s a bonus that he kept on defending me from his wife. He’d also always ask how my day was or bring me cookies and tea. It’s hard to not to adore him.
 
The old woman, well, she remained very strict and stern. She always snaps at me everytime I make mistakes. But she would just stare at me when I make something right, which kind of annoys me, actually. I mean, I’m expecting to at least hear praise from her. I learned that she don’t really praise someone unless she thinks the person deserves it. And I just learned that one of the rarest persons she praised was the pest. Knowing that made me only want to be praised by her, too. I mean, Jiyong is just a pest while I’m a princess. People should praise me, not the other way around.
 
As for the pest, pfft. Never mind him. He’s just a pest anyways. A pest who’d act kind then turned to that stupid prankster the next. I just hate him. I just. . .
 
I stopped as I found myself staring at him AGAIN. There’s something in the curve of his brows, bridge of his nose, the shape of his thin lips and his black hair that I can’t stop looking at. Then, there’s his lone earring, the light arm muscles, tattoos and his sleeveless tee getup that I find really y. Lastly, his eyes- there’s something mysterious in it, like his eyes are conveying a coded message that I can’t decipher. I scowled. “Why are you always wearing sleeveless shirt? Can’t you wear something more decent?”
 
He looked sideways with raised brows. His face lighted up with amusement. We were currently in the dirty kitchen. He was doing the cooking while I’m ORDERED to help him by the old woman. I really don’t know if you call watching him do his thing helpful but I was ORDERED, so I have no choice. “First, you picked up on my hair color. And now, my choice of clothing annoys, you?”
 
I pouted. “It’s because you’re so easy to hate. Everything about you is annoying.”
 
“And you said wearing sleeveless shirts indecent? Huh! Yeah, right. And what do you call those people at the pool party back then?” he snorted.
 
“They’re not like you!” I burst out of nowhere. The moment I did, the amusement in his face was gone as it was replaced by a dark, grim expression.
 
“Of course. They’re rich and they belong to your KIND. Unlike me, who’s just a mere servant, right?”
 
I was about to say something but his eyes stopped me. Those eyes, what are they trying to say?
 
“Just as I thought,” he snorted when I didn’t answer.
 
The silence that followed made me uneasy. It held on to the atmosphere like a poison, threatening to destroy me any moment. Then, I started feeling that wall again. I can’t remember when I noticed it but there were times that he just pulls back, like he prefers to be left alone, like he doesn’t want anyone to come close to him.
 
I quickly shook my head. Gah! What the hell? Why am I wasting time for this pest? Grrr!
 
“What’s with all the preparations, anyways?” I asked.
 
He was silent for a long moment; I thought he wasn’t planning to answer me. So I was a bit surprised when he did. “It’s Grandpa’s birthday.”
 
“WHAT?!?” I burst out. I started pulling his hair and shaking his head. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”
 
“Stop!” he complained. “You didn’t ask, so why would I tell you?”
 
“AISH! You’re really a pest, do you know that?”
 
“It’s nonsense talking to you.”
 
“YA!”
 
“Will you stop shouting?”
 
“AISH!” I gritted. “If I’ve known earlier, I could have at least got him a gift or something.”
 
“You’re not allowed to go out,” he said
 
“I know that! You don’t have to remind me. And I didn’t say that I’d go buy myself. I could have asked Kevin to buy for me!”
 
“Why are you so snappy?” he asked.
 
“I’m not snappy,” I corrected him.
 
“Look, if you want to do something for Grandpa, fine. You don’t have to act so childish and like a spoiled brat,”
 
“I’m not childish! And I’m definitely not a spoiled brat!”
 
“Spare me all the rants, will you? Come here and stew the soup.”
 
“I don’t know how to-”
 
“I’ll teach you. Knowing your cooking skills, you might cause an epidemic disease.”
 
“Ya! Don’t talk to me like that! I wasn’t taught how to cook, how would-?”
 
“And you weren’t really interested to learn.”
 
“I. . .I was busy,” I blurted out. “And why would I want to learn if there’s a cook already? And besides-”
 
“You really don’t know how to stop talking, do you?”
 
“Why you insolent-!”
 
“Just come here,” he cut me off and pulled my arm.
 
He proceeded in guiding me to finish the dish. As much as I don’t want to ignore it, I can’t help but noticed the slight brushes of his fingers on my hand. “Ouch!” I exclaimed as I accidentally touched the hot portion of the pot.
 
“Tsk, pay attention to what you’re doing,” he said as he looked at my finger.
 
“How can I pay attention when you’re-?” I stopped.
 
“I’m what?” he asked.
 
“Nothing!” I snapped.
 
He chuckled. I felt him leaned his hands on the counter, on either side of me, making me a prisoner in between his arms. I froze as his arms brushed against mine. I think I just forgot how to breathe! Gah! I can feel the heat coming from him behind me. The hairs in my nape tingled as I felt his breath blew my way. Oh God, please don’t do this to me! Aigoo. I can feel it; I can feel I’m going to faint any moment now.
 
My head started spinning as my body started swaying. I knew I’m going to faint because this is exactly what I felt when I saw him when he came back.
 
“How’s everything going on here?” a voice appeared. I straightened up, feeling the faintness fading away.
 
“Everything’s fine, Grandma,” I heard the pest say as he pulled his hands off the counter. I turned around to face the old woman, too. “Dara’s doing a great job,” he added. I saw the old woman’s face changed, like she’s on the verge of tears.
 
Then, she turned her gaze on me. “You, follow me,” she said.
 
“Grandma-” the pest started but got cut off by the old woman’s glare.
 
She turned around and started to leave. I looked at the pest first before following. Aigoo! What have I done wrong this time? Aish! I tried recounting the events today and I can’t remember doing anything wrong. I was in this thought when I entered a room.
 
“Sit,” the old woman said. I saw a chair at the left side. I went to it and took a seat. I silently watched her opened a drawer, took something from it then, looked at my direction. She heaved a big sigh before walking towards my direction. She pulled another chair and took a seat.
 
She took my right hand, palm up. She put her hand on top of it. I felt something cold dropped to my palm, making me frown. When she removed her hand, I looked down and saw a ring. With just one look, I knew the ring was cheap. But I didn’t say anything. I want to know what’s going on here.
 
“This was the first gift I received from my husband. He made it himself actually, despite the fact that he can afford to buy one. He’s a fool.” I gave her a questioning look. The old woman gave me a long look before continuing. “I consider this ring as the most important thing in my life, next to my family.”
 
I just looked at her. I still can’t understand what’s going on here.
 
“I’m giving it to you now. I hope you treasure it as much as I did.”
 
“B-but why?”
 
She sighed again, and then forced a smile. “You don’t know how it feels to see my grandson act more like a human. Before, the others used to call him “robot boy” because he wasn’t capable of showing any emotions. He didn’t know how to laugh, how to smile, how to cry, how to get angry, to be annoyed, nothing. So, I’m actually a bit thankful that you can at least make him laugh with your stupidity and annoy the hell out of him.”
 
I grimaced. “Well, he annoys the hell out of me, too! And he’s more stupid than I am!” I quickly defended myself, making her laugh. I looked at her in wonder. I’ve never heard her laugh before. Actually, I thought she wasn’t capable of it.
 
“You can go help Jiyong now,” she said. “And oh, you can call me Grandma from now on.”