Another Clash

Stubborn Hearts

 

Seohyun woke me up. So, the pest is really angry at me, huh? To hell with him! Like I care, duh! He doesn’t have the right to feel that way. It should be the other way around, right? But I don’t have the strength to bicker with him, so maybe this is better.
 
After another silent, cold breakfast, we started moving again. Weird, but I can feel that Seohyun was in a very bad mood while the pest was the total opposite. “Wipe that grin off your face, Jiyong or I’ll totally wipe your entire face off,” she snapped.
 
“What? Is it so wrong to grin now?” he chuckled. Okay, this is totally weird.
 
“It’s not wrong but because I know the reason behind it, it is WRONG.”
 
The pest burst out laughing.
 
“If you don’t want me to tell her the reason then stop acting all giddy!” Seohyun snapped again, making Jiyong burst out laughing again.
 
I tried to ask Seohyun what’s going on but she just mumbled darkly, though I caught the words “not enough sleep” in between her rambles. When I realized I can’t get a calm and coherent answer from her, I stayed silent, mostly just walking alongside her.
 
As much as I don’t want to remember, I can’t help but go back to the time where I almost got . I was close too losing everything. The danger I’m in finally sink deep into my mind, biting at the edges. I sighed. It’s really my fault. Everything. If they weren’t after me, all of these won’t happen. How can my life take a big turn like this? Before, I only fight for my position of being the Queenbee but now, I’m fighting for my life. No, that’s not right. The right phrase should be, I’m letting other people die and fight for my life and survival. I’m not even doing anything to stay alive except run. Ha! What a coward I am. Seohyun was right, I’m a weakling.
 
“Dara, where are you going?”
 
I jumped and stopped in my tracks. So, it’s Dara now, huh? Where did all of his nicknames go? Oh, of course, Seohyun is here, so he’s not calling me kitten. Huh! Like I care.
 
“Are you even listening?” he asked again.
 
I blinked. “Did you say something?” I asked back.
 
He looked at me through guarded eyes. “I said we’ll take a rest first.”
 
“Oh,” I muttered. “Okay.”
 
“I think she’s still in shock,” I heard Seohyun said.
 
“No, I’m not!” I heated up. I don’t want to appear too weak. “I’m just thinking. . . of a few things.”
 
“Ugh! I’m going to take a nap, Jiyong,” she said and looked meaningfully at the pest. I wonder what happened to them last night when I was asleep. But I decided not to ask. No, I’m too tired asking. I won’t get any answers anyway.
 
“You’re quiet,” he started a while later. Seohyun was already off to dreamland.
 
“I don’t want to talk you,” I hissed. I’m still hurt. Badly hurt with what he said yesterday. To think that he hasn’t asked for forgiveness yet.
 
I waited. I waited for him to insist talking but he didn’t. He remained silent. Tears threatened to fall again. I looked away, hiding my face as I fought my tears back. But I was unsuccessful. They fell uncontrollably down my cheeks. I bit my lower lip down, trying to stop making any sounds. But when I inhaled, it came raspy, jagged, broken.
 
“Are you crying?” he asked. I didn’t answer. He then went kneeling in front of me and looked at me closely. “Hey, what’s going on?”
 
“I hate you!” I cried. To my surprise, he chuckled. He sat beside me, gathered me in his arms and placed me across his lap. He hugged and my back.
 
I finally broke down. My mind gave in, so I started crying really hard. “I’m. . . s-so t-t-tired already!” I started, unable to control myself anymore. “I’m tired of always running, of hiding, of everything! I want this to end. I want to go back to how my life was b-before!”
 
He tucked my head under his chin and pulled me closer to his chest. “It’ll be over soon,” he whispered grimly. “You’ll be safe again.”
 
I let him comfort me. I let myself be comforted by him. I let him hold me close to him. Yes, I know I made a promise not to get close to him like this because I’m betraying Wooyoung oppa. But I’m just human, I’m not that strong. I can’t carry everything on my own. I also need someone to lean on. Surely, oppa won’t begrudge me of this?
 
And it’s no point how much I depend on the pest to survive this. I’ll just see to my promise once this is over, and if I make it out alive. So for now, I let myself cry, not minding how I’m drenching his front shirt with my tears. Then, I grabbed his sleeve and wipe my nose.
 
“Eww. That’s just so disgusting,” the pest said, imitating my voice. “Tsk, you’re such a crybaby.”
 
“No, I’m not!” I denied. He chuckled lightly and pressed his head closer to my head. I felt for the second time, a tingling warmth from a tiny point in my hair spreading down through my system. “Did you just kiss my hair?!”
 
“Don’t be too assuming,” he said. “Do you know how bad you smell right now?”
 
“Ya!” I burst out and pulled away, but not totally separating myself from him. When I looked up at his face, I saw that gleam of playfulness again.
 
How can he do that? I mean, after all this time, he acts like nothing’s wrong; that what, where and why we’re here in the middle of the wilderness was just a normal thing to him. And why am I feeling this way? I should be angry with all the things he said to me. But I don’t feel any negative thing towards him right now.
 
“Are you two done with your moment now? Can we start moving already? Jeez!” an impatient Seohyun said.
 
“You’re awake,” the pest noticed.
 
“Oh, so now you finally noticed. I’ve been awake for quite some time now,” she rolled her eyes. “So what? Are we going or not?”
 
I quickly removed myself from the pest and stood up. As they gathered our stuff, I was surprised when he suddenly scooped me up. “What are you doing?!” I asked.
 
“Carrying you,” he smirked. Gah! His mood swings are driving me crazy!
 
“But why are-”
 
“You’re too slow. We’ll make it faster if I carry you,” he cut me off.
 
I blushed. I don’t know why but I felt my cheeks heated. Dang it! Why does he have to be so. . .?
 
What? A side of my mind asked.
 
“Hey, don’t give other meaning to what I’m doing. I’m just doing my job,” he said. Oh, of course! What am I thinking? Huh! I didn’t really think he cares, right? HE’S JUST DOING HIS JOB. That’s all.
 
“I know,” I grumpily said.
 
After stopping twice along the way, we finally broke out of the forest. Me and the pest stayed at the edge of the forest and let Seohyun find us a place to stay.
 
When Seohyun came back, me and the pest wore big, dark glasses and thick hooded jackets. I was told to keep my head down and act as normally as I can. The room Seohyun got was at the third floor, so I tried to keep a low profile, keeping my head down at the same time, trying not to look too suspicious. We used the stairs to get to the third floor. When we reached it, I finally breathed a relief and removed the jacket, feeling sticky.
 
“I want to take a bath,” I said.
 
“Take the second room,” Seohyun said. I looked around. I saw two doors at my left, one small table that’s been pushed in a corner and the kitchen was at my right side. I went to the second door and pushed it open. There’s a single bed, a chair and a built-in cabinet inside. I went in and headed straight to the bathroom.
 
 
Later. . .
 
I’m grateful that finally, I’m eating a decent meal. But of course, I didn’t tell them that. I suddenly jumped and gave a squeal as I heard a ringing sound. Aigoo! I think I haven’t heard a phone ringing for so long that it made me jump. I looked at Seohyun as she took her phone out and answered the call.
 
I silently watched and listened. I grew anxious as I felt her whole body shaking with tension.
 
“What happened?” the pest asked as soon as the call ended.
 
“M-my m-mother w-was shot!” she choked.
 
I automatically froze. Please, not again.
 
“You should go,” the pest said.
 
“I c-can’t just leave you two!” she said, scandalized.
 
“Seohyun, this isn’t your assignment. You’re not obliged to stay with us.”
 
“It’s because of me again, isn’t it? They found out you’re with us and they went for your mother to ask your whereabouts but your mother knows nothing. . .” I concluded. There’s no other logical and sane reason behind it. It all comes down to me. Why can’t Dad just give what they want?
 
“It’s late,” the pest inserted. “You should go to sleep,” he told me.
 
I was about to protest but I changed my mind. “Okay,” I nodded and went to my room. I already know what to do.
 
I waited for a few minutes then leaned my ear against the door. I heard hushed, heated voices. It seemed to me that they’re arguing. I slowly opened the door and took a peek. True, they were arguing, they’re heads close to each other. I slowly walked out of my room, and ran to the door on my toes.
 
As I was out of the streets, I looked around. Where should I go? How am I going to surrender myself to those bad guys if I don’t know where they are? I sighed and started running, unsure of my destination. But maybe someone will spot me on the streets. I don’t want to cause any more deaths. I’m tired of it already.
 
I felt a hand on my arm. Of course it was him. Who else could cause this tingling sensation? “What the hell is your problem?!” he burst out as he turned me around.
 
“Let go of me!” I gritted. “I’m surrendering myself to them!”
 
“What?! Are you out of your mind?”
 
“No!”
 
“I’m dragging you back!”
 
“NO!” I screamed, pulling my arm back. “Go back and hide! I’m tired of running and hiding!”
 
“I already told you, I’m doing-”
 
“No, I’m tired of hearing lies and promises from you! This has to end before more innocent lives get messed up.”
 
“Stop testing my patience, Kitten!” he yelled.
 
“Then let me go!” I yelled too. He cursed then grabbed me, throwing me on his shoulder. But I fought him. I kicked, punched, and scratched every part of him I could reach. But he didn’t budge so I elbowed his head hard and squirmed my way out of his arms. He lost balance and I took advantage of it to get away from him.
 
“!” he cussed and chased me again. “Hell, Kitten! Are you suicidal?”
 
“I’m tired of you! I don’t feel safe with you! I was never safe with you! I want to go to Wooyoung oppa! He can protect me better than you do!”
 
His jaw clenched, eyes narrowed. I waited with bated breath. Oh yes, he’s going to explode any minute now. “FINE!” he stormed. “Go ahead! Go and give yourself to them! Go and run to Wooyoung if that’s what makes you happy! I don’t care anymore! I’m sick and tired of you already, too! Go!” he finished, pushing me so hard that I fell to the ground. “Thanks so much for telling me this. It’s a relief not having you around!”
 
I started crying as I watched his back disappeared into the darkness. When I can’t see him anymore, I stood up and started walking again. I really don’t know where to go, but I kept on walking. After a few minutes, I saw a bus stop. I went to it and stood there for a while, thinking where I should go next when a cloth covered my nose and mouth and I felt a hand restraining my arms. I struggled, but then, I started getting dizzy, sleepy. Not long after that, my consciousness started slipping away.