[S2] Chapter 2

Ever So Enchanting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER 2:  A Thousand and One

 

 

"Well, this was a fantastic reunion don't you think? Your worries can be thrown away now since everyone knows about Kris."

Gui bent down and kisses her son's forehead. Throughout the car ride back home, she had been nervous about breaking the news to her family. But now that her family members warmed up to the fact that Kris is her son, she was now at ease now. Her father didn’t throw a temper tantrum like she had imagined him too; instead, he was one of the happiest men in the room to see Kris walk through the doors. The two didn’t take long to be friends with each other, Kris wasn’t shy and his father was extremely welcoming due to the fact that he became a grandfather. Kris is now the angel in everyone’s eyes, the roles have switched and Danson wasn’t too happy with it. Seeing how Kris is happily running around the room with that cheerful attitude of his, all their family members kept pestering Danson to get married and have a child. ‘I’m in no rush’ he says. Seeing how lightly Danson kept brushing it off, Gui smiles happily at his confidence to prolong his relationship status. Everyone has their own path, at their own pace―Danson is just writing his own life, his way.

"I'm glad they accepted him, I didn’t think my dad will be so happy about it. Considering how long I kept this away from him….."

“You and Kris must’ve hit a soft spot somewhere in his heart.”

“Nah, I think it’s my mom who prepped him for the news then it was Kris who smashed his anger away! Have you seen the way those two have been hanging around each other? Kris is the angel in the family.”

“Still, half of your worries are gone now.” Xiao Gui reached out to hold her hands. "I'll always be by your side so don't be afraid to reach out to me."

"Always? If you keep saying things like that, then it’ll come true."

"I’m letting you know." Catching her curiosity, he got up and smiles at her. "And one last thing, I happened to hear it while they were playing earlier. This little guy asked Danson if he was his dad. It was kinda funny seeing Danson explain what Uncle means since he couldn’t use small words to tell him."

“Did Danson tell Kris about Aaron??”

Xiao Gui squeezed her shoulder reassuringly and shook his head. “No, I’m sure he didn’t.” He answered her question briefly as he left her room shortly.

She sat on the bed in silence, recollecting all her thoughts before taking a deep breath, she reached into her purse to take out something that meant more than her exclusive jewellery collection. Gui took out the beautiful velvet pouch and emptied the contents inside. In the centre of her palm is the one treasure she couldn’t break away from― the earring Aaron proposed her with is laying on her palm. There were times where she wonders where the other half disappeared to but she had to stop herself from wondering that question. Sometimes it was too much… sometimes, the past is better left aside. She held up the earring into the light and she could feel her tears aching to spill. So she curls her hands together with the earring inside and kisses the back of her palm. "Why can't I forget you?"

She put the case on the counter and slips into the bed with her son. It didn’t take much to peel herself away from the earring, she figured that with time, the pain will lessen. Maybe, if she keeps telling herself to move on, she’ll eventually be able to.

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

Four days gone by…

 

 

 

“I like you Mr. Ya―I mean….”

“Aaron…I like you…”

 

Puff sighs as he stares at her reflection dreamingly. Tonight was one of those nights the wealthy love to host and everyone who is anyone was going to be present for the party. She was wearing this beautiful red dress that hugged her body perfectly. The only thing she got done was the leg slip, she wanted her legs to breathe so she got a dress that suits her wonderfully. The missing piece to tie everything together is her kissable lips. So she dug into her makeup pouch and chose a lipstick that plays out her character and painted it the colour that went along with her dress, red.

When she heard the doorbell ring, then her cellphone rang. She knew her time was up so she went downstairs to see him waiting for her. If she didn’t know him personally, she would have fallen for him. He was dressed in his suit with a black bow tie, his hair wasn’t overdone, he looked too perfect―like a fairytale character. If girls have their lipsticks, he had his cologne. He was radiating with that cologne she heard Dolce&Gabbana released. He was near perfection and she didn’t want to fuel his ego.

“You ready princess?”

He didn’t mean for his words to sting but it did. It was his way of talking to her because they were friends; it shouldn’t mean anything since there was nothing between them. They were just normal friends.

“I can’t tell if you’re complimenting or insulting me.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. Just for tonight, you are not a princess.”

She put on her heels and looks at him like he was crazy. If he wanted to play mind games with her, she would’ve rejected his offer to accompany him to the event. She rolled her eyes and closed the door behind her, making her way to the car when all of the sudden, she heard him say.

“You’re a siren tonight.”

The wind flew past them and the side of her lips curved up―she was smiling.

 

 

.

.

 

 

 

The night couldn't come faster than it has.

With guests appearing in their beautiful dresses and tuxedos, the upper society is hosting an event for everyone to enjoy. Everyone in attendance held VIP access, they were socialites (well most of them were) and some attended to make themselves known around the crowd. If there is anywhere someone wanted to mark their existence, this would be one of the places they would brag to their friends and families. 

"How does it feel to be my partner?"

"I thought you said you were going with another girl?"

"She bailed, so instead of looking high and low for another, I decided to take you."

"You're lucky I agreed."

"I thought Siren’s wear green." She smirks. “It just so happens that this siren loves red.”

“So it seems.” Puff looks over to him and smiles “Shall we start Mr. Yan?”

He grins as she locks her arms with his. His boss never makes it to events like these so playing the role of Aaron Yan was not hard for Alex. Considering most of the people in the party hasn’t met Aaron, it only makes his role easier.

 

.

.

 

Alien Huang flashes that killer smile of his to see a group of ladies swoon.

"I bet you they don't know who I am."

"Then you better introduce yourself to them."

He laughs at Emma’s sly comment as they make their way around the ballroom. Alien certainly has his way with words, to think that she wouldn’t come to this event… he got to her. Luckily, they weren’t late for the event because neither of them were picky about their outfits. They didn’t spend long in the closet but if you have to know who takes the longest between the two, it was Alien Huang who usually takes a while perfecting his image. It was a surprise because if we follow the usual stereotype, it is true that girls typically take longer to prep for any special event but in this case, this was an exception. As they walk through the event, greeting everyone and introducing themselves to the guests, Gui smiles as she looks over to Alien who easily started conversations with everyone in the crowd. She chose to wear a light, white dress that hugged her curves nicely. The dress reached down to the floor but with the additional height she got from her heels, the dress was able to present itself beautifully. She wore her hair up in a bun and it was near complete when she stood next to her partner for the night―Alien Huang; tuxedo with tie, topped with a handkerchief on his pocket and that killer smile he flashes 10000x a day.

They were engaged in a conversation with each other and in the middle of it, Alien excused himself.

"What a cute boyfriend."

‘…Boyfriend…’

"We came together as friends."

"Friends? I’m sorry but I got to ask you―have you seen the way he looks at you? It's like he has fallen head over heels for you."

Gui glanced over at the crowd of people who were out and mingling with others and wondered, is this the reason why she never appears to these things?

"As for me, I have my eyes on Mr. Aaron Yan. Apparently he came so I am going to stay in one place and wa―"

"―W–What? D–Did you say? Mr. Yan is here... as in Aaron...?"

"Yes, I heard that he is wearin–Oh, that's him!"

 

*BADUMP* BADUMP*BADUMP*

 

She excused herself and made her way over to the man who was said to be her Aaron.

 

.

.

 

 

Alex could hear the whispers and wondered were Puff dashed off too. It isn't every day that they get to attend an event as extravagant as this, he was even dressed to play the part of a rich heir―‘don’t tell me she ditched.’

"Alex, where's my son?"

"He will be here soon."

Mr. Yan eye him sceptically, knowing quite well what his son was up to, he couldn't help but feel bad for the poor guy who has to put up with his son's nonchalant behaviour.

"Don't worry about the reporters; they aren't here to do any harm. Just enjoy yourself and act; this evening will be over soon."

"Yes Mr. Yan."

Mr. Yan smiled as he walked off, greeting an acquaintance who came by while Alex turns to see Puff standing by his side once again.

"I thought Aaron was going to be here this evening. Why isn't he here yet?"

"Maybe he got caught in traffic?"

"You really think that's the case?"

Alex shrugs and introduced himself to someone who came over to him. For a good half hour, he was engaged in multiple conversations until someone tapped him on the shoulder. He thought it might be someone who came back to talk to him but when he turned around, he met her earth-toned eyes.

Gui eyes widen when her eyes landed on him. "May I ask... Who are you?"

"I work at Y Insurance, I am Aaron

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter