Chapter 23

Ever So Enchanting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[ A/N ]

I can't believe I forgot to update chapter 23 on Aaron's birthday! 

And here I was thinking I was going to on Nov.20! Rats...

Aside from my short term memorry, lets continue to support 

GUILUN as I update chapter 23, warning: LOOOONG chapter awaits.

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER 23: Last Time

 

 

 

“Why can’t he understand that I can protect myself?” Gui whispered as she found herself standing in front of a bar.

She heavily thought about what she was going to do at a place like this, why did she stop here? Did she want to drink her sorrows away? Drown herself in alcohol and have a huge headache the next morning? She has always been the good girl, it never ever cross her mind that she will find herself looking positively at a bar.

 

But how can she return to that girl who cries alone? Who told her to fall in love with him? Why? Out of all the boys she could’ve fall in love with, why did it have to be him?

 

 

Behind the bartender was a glass mirror—from it, she could see almost the entire layout of the bar. Gui look over to see her mirrored reflection staring back at her.

Further scanning the place, her eyes landed on two performers—a man and a lady—playing music together. They were looking at each other, serenading to one another like lovers. That look that lovers one would give to their significent other, that look that Gui finds herself yearning for. The music they were playing began to take on a tone that was mellow to soothe the heart, and it was exactly what Gui needed. Something to stop her heart—even if it was just for a moment, she needed it.

“Tequila.”

Gui look back to meet the skeptical look from the bartender. Was it because she look out of place? Whatever the case was, she didn’t care.

“Are you sure? Tequila is a strong drink, why don’t I suggest you something light to start off?”

“Tequila, please.”

Gui urged as she watch the bartender begin making it her drink. She knew that he was thinking of her well-being but his concern isn’t going to soothe her heart, her worries were trying to puncture through her skull. Drinking was one matter; the main reason why she blocked her conscious and came into the bar in the first place was because she felt horrible for arguing with Aaron. She knew that all he was doing was for her but she thought she could’ve helped herself—afterall, if another  similiar stuation were to happen; where will he be? She needs to stand up for herself and if Aaron keeps interfering, then how is she going to fight her own battles? She is not a little kid that needs someone to help her fight her battles so when Aaron rushed in, she was thankful but deep down, it was like a part of her tore apart.

So just this one time; one time only, she will drown herself in alcohol and claim her sorrows with open arms.

 

As Gui fascinate over the different alcohol bottles on display at the bar, she find herself letting out a chuckle. She knew she was out of place; she was never the girl who visits these places but since things have come down to this, what other choice does she have?

“Your tequila, miss.” The young man slide her drink in front of her.

Underneath the dim lighting, she could tell that the bartender was cute. He had the typical boy-band look that can break girls hearts in a heartbeat. Since Gui has been surrounded by all these handsome storybook characters that one would normally see in movies, she doesn't find it weird anymore. Instead, she finds herself laughing at it.

In the young boy’s mind, he thought she was going to take a sip of it and leave it but she surprised him when she gulped it down like she was drinking water. “I must say, it appears I misjudged you.” The bartender chuckled as he grabbed a cloth and began wiping the glasses before hearing her say, “One moree~”

His eye brow arched, wondering if she was just joking around but when she repeated herself without the slur, she really wanted another round. In the boy's eyes; at first glance, he can tell a customer’s alcohol limit. As strange as it may sound, he thanked his sixth sense for giving him this ability. It helped him through many troubles and in some cases—it was his life saver.

But knowing limits and a bidding by them are two different scenarios. He can tell when a customer has had enough but if a customer wants to poison his body with more alcohol; exceeding the limit. That’s where the line has been drawn. Because of his job, it didn’t matter. He is the one making the drinks and if it was a customer’s wish, he had to comply; even if he didn’t want to, he still have to do it.

So his higher-ups have one rule, one to abid and stick to:

 

‘Customers are always right.’

 

 

 

“Why are you drinking alone?” Gui stare at the bartender’s hand while his concentration was on trying to strike a conversation with her. Amazed at how throwing liquids almost seems like child's play to him, he made it seem so simple. Heck, he made it look natural. Maybe it was more sutiable for this boy then her cousin, Jack Zhang. Finding it amusing how she compared the teo, she pointed over to the bartender. “You have nice hands.” She look up at him and smiled brightly. “Anyways, aren’t you too young to be working at the bar?”

“How about you? Aren’t you too young to be drinking?”

“Your parents must be reallllly supportive, my parents would neeeevvver support me if I did something like this.”

“My parents weren’t the best supporters but I have my way of getting to them.”

“How lucky... It’s nice that you have your family who looooveees you. Me? I met someonnnneee and I fell in love.”

“Congrats, I hope he treats you well.”

“He doooess treat me reallllly good, he’s sooooo nice that sometimes I feel bad. Whhhhyy? Whyy? Why must he treat me sooo nicely? He and I are two completely different people.... but we were put together by our families... At the beginning, I knnneeeww he was trouble, but did I listen? YESS! I listened to myself and distanced mysellllfff but... I fell for him... in the end... I hate myself for liking him, I hate myself for feeling like this... I knew he won’t like me back but it turns out that he confessed to me, telling me his feeeellingss to me! But I gooot into an arrgueement with him... I’m a fool right?”

The bartender slid the freshly made tequila in front of her and graciously smiled. “You should give it time, I think he feels the same way.” Gui shook her head before taking a sip of tequila. “There’s no way.”

“Why? What's there not to like?”

“He... has someone who still occupies a part of his heart... But there is r–room for me throughh...”

“Did you tell him how you feel?”

“No, absolutely not. I will not tell him. This secret... I will take it to my grave!”

“Whoa! There’s no need to keep that it as some sacred secret is there? I believe in fate and if you and him are bound together by fate, then you guys will have a happy ending.”

“I don’tttt believeee you~!” Gui blinked a couple of times and before she knew it, he held his hand out. “Do you have a friend or a family member you will like me to call? You are done drinking tonight, miss.”

“I don’ttt haveee anyone~!”

“Still, aside from bartending, I will like to make the call. It’s what I like to call; a safety precaution.”

“Geez, yooouuu naaaggg alottttt!!” Gui yelled out as she placed her cell on the counter. “You wannnt it?”

“Yes, please give it to me?” Gui stuck out her tongue playfully and at that moment, the bartender stood back; taken back.

He didn’t know why but at that moment, he found her likeable. She was hurt not physically but emotionally, but it wasn’t that that surprised him. It was the thought of knowing that this girl went to alcohol in hopes of drowning all the problems away but what would she do if she wakes up the next morning? As good and tempting alcohol was for relieving the mind of all tension; in the end; doesn’t fix anything. Maybe it was her sudden playful side that got to him.

“Okay, hand it over. I need to make a call.” Gui pouted as she handed her phone over to him. “Aareee you gonnaa add your numbeeeerrr in there prettttyy boyyy?”

As the bartender scroll down to her list of contacts, he was surprised to see how she named her contacts. He was about to click a random contact when one someone beat him to it. On the screen, it read: Ring Boy.

 

‘Who’s ring boy?’

 

He pressed accept only to have the person on the other line begin talking before him.

“WHERE THE HECK DID YOU GO? WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR YOU SO WHERE ARE YOU? I AM COMING TO YOU, SO WHERE ARE YOU?”

“Um hi, this is Ao Quan. I am a bartender at District. Your friend had 2 drinks of tequila so if you don't mind, you can come and pick her up."

“Oh, I am sorry for my rudeness earlier. I will be coming right away and if you don’t mind, look after her until I get there.”

“Will do.”

When the call ended, the bartender who went by the name Ao Quan look over to see the lady passed out on the counter.

“Your friend is coming to pick you up.” He knew his words didn’t go through so he gave out a sigh, putting her phone in his pocket; for safe keeping.

But when he did, another call rang. This time, the caller was named policeoffficer.

 

‘P-P-Police O-O-Officer?! Who is this girl?’

 

“H-H-H-Hello. This is Ao Quan speaking.”

“Hi... I’m just calling for our biology homework that is– Wait. Who are you and why do you have Gui's phone?”

“Oh, I am a bartender at District and your friend had 2 tequilas. So I am answering the call on her behalf.”

“IS SHE OKAY? WHERE IS SHE?”

“She is passed out.”

“OKAY, is there anyone coming to pick her up?”

“Someone called earlier saying that he’s going to pick her up.”

“I’m in the neighbourhood so I will take her back. Call that friend back and tell him that George is picking her up instead.”

The man who call himself George ended the call quickly, leaving Ao Quan speechless.

In reality, he didn’t know these two people so who should he entrust to pick this girl up? Nonetheless, George’s name sounds better than whoever ‘ring boy’ is since George caller ID was ‘police officer.’ So doesn’t it make sense to trust the police officer than whoever ‘ring boy’ is?

Ao Quan sighed as he went through the list to call ring boy back but his manager suddenly interrupted him.

“COME INTO MY OFFICE.”

“But sir, I have a custome–”

“It’s not going to take long.”

Ao Quan complied and turn to his co-worker who just started his shift. “This lady over here is going to be picked up by a man named George. Until that man comes to pick her up, keep an eye on her okay?”

“Got it.” The man nodded as Ao Quan walked over to his boss.

Everything he had in his hands, he stuffed everything that was in his hands (including Gui’s cell) into his pocket and walked in.

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

“GUI!” A man came t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter