Chapter 12

Ever So Enchanting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

So let’s bring out the crystals and pop open a bottle of champagne.

 

 

 

CHAPTER 12: Crystal & Champagne

 

 

 

Wu Ying Jie’s mother stare at her daughter in awe.

She was the gem in her fathers and husbands eye, but to her, she was the rare crystal.

 

“I’ll be waiting for you downstairs, everyone is here so come down whenever you are ready.”

Just when her mother was about to leave, she instantly turn back to stare at her daughter once more. 

“You look beautiful. I’m sure all the guys at this party will be sad to hear that you and Aaron will be engaged in a couple of months.” She walk over to her daughter and gave her a warm smile.

“Your father deserves a round of an applause. I wanted to have a simple dinner to celebrate but he wants me to relax and enjoy the evening with everyone here and since Aaron is here, we called over his family. So whenever you get the chance, greet them okay sweetheart?”

Gui’s mother kissed her on the forehead and left to join the party downstairs.

 

Once the doors close, Gui touch her heart and listened intently to the sound of her heart beating.

 

 

Flashback

~An hour ago~

 

“We have a change of clothes for you upstairs, please follow me.”

Gui didn’t know what was happening so she followed her servants up to her room while Aaron head in the opposite direction.

Having no idea what was in store for them, Gui just blankly followed them into a room where her eyes instantly lit up.

“MOM!”

She ran over to her mother who warmly welcomed her lovely daughter. “How is my beautiful daughter? I have been overseas for so long so I apologize for not calling as frequently as I should’ve been.”

She let her go and stare at Ying Jie. “I have heard about him.”

Her mother lift her chin up so that she can catch her daughter’s gaze.

“I know this is a lot to take in and especially someone your age but if you think about it, it might not be a bad thing. I’m not saying I encourage this type of arrangement but I certainly don’t disagree with it. This boy’s family has been our friends for so long and to do this, is something we have always talked about. But who knew your father would throw you two together like this? He certainly likes to be ahead of the game.”

Gui looked over to the dress that was on the mannequin. “Mom...”

“Okay, get changed, I will be waiting out here.”

Ying Jie nodded as she walked into the washroom to changed into this beautiful dress her mother had prepared. It was the most gorgeous white dress she had ever seen. Her mother’s collection line of VI collection has always been eye-catching but this was one of those rare dresses that pops up once in a blue moon and Ying Jie felt like a princess in it.

The white one-shoulder dress was a long dress that seem endless.

 

Ying Jie put on her heels and stare at her reflection while her mom played with her hair.

“So what do you think of him?”

“Who?”

“Don’t play with me, I’m your mother!” Laughter was heard, “So tell me, what do you think of him?”

“He is... Mom, what if I fall for him?”

“That’s the point!”

Gui watch her mother’s soft movement as she curl her hair into an up-do. “No, what if I really fall for him.”

“’Ying Ying, why does it worry so much if you fall for him? The whole purpose of this was so that you do fall in love with him!”

“But what if I don’t want to?”

“Where is this coming from?”

“Mom...” As Ying Jie stare into her reflection, she could feel her mother’s gentle gaze on hers. “Fall in love, Ying Ying.”

 

End of Flashback

 

 

She stared at her reflection, recalling the same question over and over again.

“No really... What if I really do fall in love with him...?”

 

 

KNOCK, KNOCK

 

 

Gui glance over to see Aaron slide into her room in an clean, cut white dress shirt, paired with black pants and his hair is styled to perfection. If someone were to stare at them (not knowing what their relationship was); they would’ve said they were a picture-perfect couple.

“Are you ready?”

Gui abandoned all the doubts she ever had and took her mother’s words to heart. Tonight, just for tonight, she will let go of all her worries and be the girl who simply fell for him. Like everyone else, she will follow her heart and throw away her conscience.

Out of sight, out of mind.

 

 

Aaron suddenly cleared his throat, getting her attention to see that he held his hand to her. “Are you forgetting?”

Being patient has never been one of his best traits so when he stood there for a good minute, he quickly told her to take hold of his hand. But who knew that she would slap his palm? Surely enough, she did smack his hand away; a form of rejection and in his world, being rejected was worst then being impatient. His pride was on the line but all he can do was stare at her in total disbelief.

So to do what he wanted to do, he took her hand and locked her arm with his, pulling her close to him. “We are suppose to appear like a couple, remember?”

She could smell his signature cologne that he always sprays on himself. “And might I add, you look pretty.” Gui look up to catch his eyes twinkle for a mere second. “And you look handsome Aaron.”

 

They walked out of the room and with each footstep they take, Aaron and Gui Gui could hear the distant chatter from the guests downstairs resonate louder and louder, and before they knew it, they find themselves standing on top of the staircase. Staring blankly at the crowd below them, chatting and humouring their friends and colleagues with tales of the ideal workaholic.

Just for this evening, for all the cameras and the eyes of everyone in attendance at the party, they were the couple that shined brightly. Some called them the modern fairytale couple while some brand them as a couple who lives in their own fairytale.

 

“Ying Ying, you look beautiful darling. Come and greet Aaron’s parents.”

Aaron look up, surprised to see his grandparents arrive at the party with his father.

“Hi Grandpa Yan, Grandma Yan and Uncle Yan.”

“Aw look at you my dear, you look like a goddess.”

“Thank you Grandma Yan!”

“Now I can see why all the guys at this party were staring at you earlier. Aaron, you better keep her close to you or some guy will sweep her off her feet.”

When the adults began to humour each other, Aaron didn’t know why but he felt a slight pain somewhere close to his heart.

“Nonsense, I think our two children should be careful. My daughter is like a bee, she flies to wherever she pleases!”

“On the contrary, my son is like a flower, he just needs to stay where he is if he wants a bee to land on him.”

Aaron knew his father means much more than what he is saying so instead of arguing, Aaron just smiled and ignored the joke.

 

“Oh son, come here.”

“Ge!”

Aaron caught Gui’s weak smile turn into a gigantic smile as he turn to see a boy walk over to them with a glass of wine in his hands. The boy smiled as he greeted everyone with his gentlemen-like smile and to add, he shook hands with everyone.

“I am Danson.”

“Alright, let’s make our way to greet out guests. They have come a long way to be here so if you’ll excuse my wife and I.”

Mr. Wu stated as he walked away with grandfather Wu excusing himself shortly after.

Aaron glance over to his grandmother who walked up to Gui with a big smile. “Aaron is a troublemaker but if you take the time to get to know him, he really isn’t all that bad.”

Gui look up to Aaron then back to his grandmother to give her a smile in return.

“Have fun at the party, I am going to be greeting our old acquaintances.” And with that, they left Aaron, Gui and Danson.

 

“Gui, I am disappointed with you.”

“Why?”

“You weren’t there when I was undergoing my therapy.”

“OH NO! I completely forgot, I’m sorry Ge!” Danson chuckled as he look over to Aaron. 

“I’m just joking with you Gui. I have been recovering so once my precious time is up, dad will bring me up to his company to work under him. How nostalgic it is, I remember going through his files and messing it all up. Now, it is my turn to turn all that mess into workable charts and work along side of him.” He paused for a moment, allowing him to recollect his thoughts. “Anyways, enough about me, I heard you and Aaron have 6 months to spend together, how is it going?”

Gui smiled as she playfully hit his arm. “Ge, don’t worry. These 6 months will go by fast.”

“I’m sure it will.” Danson smiled as he hand his empty glass over to Gui. “Gui, get me another glass! Do you remember what my wine is?”

“Of course I do, but—”

“—Gui, It’s okay, I’ll keep him company.”

“But—” Gui caught Aarons eyes, he smiled over to her and at that moment, she knew she would have to leave and give Aaron his chance to prove himself. “Fine, I’ll be right back.”

 

When Gui disappeared into the crowd, Danson turn his attention to Aaron.

“I know our families highly encourages an happy ending between you and Gui but in my eyes, I don’t think this whole fiasco will work out. For one thing, Gui doesn’t like arrange marriages and I don’t think you like it either. So let’s make it easier for both of our parents and call it off. My parents are people who view matters like a business proposal with the right timing and the right choice of words, my father won’t be in rage.”

“Did I do anything for you to detest me?”

“No, I just don’t think you two are compatible, that’s all.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes. If you do not like her, do not pull her in any further than she already has. My little sister is the type of girl who falls in love easily and I for one, do not want to see her get hurt. So if it is possible, let’s end it quickly.”

 

 

 

••••

 

 

 

Gui quickly walk over to the bar and stare at the five bartenders who were serving guests at the bar.

She place the empty glass on the table to have a bartender put it away to take out an new glass in return. “Aren’t you too young to drink miss?”

Gui eyed the bartender and lightly chuckled. “Aren’t you too young to be bartending... Jack Zhang?”

“If anyone is too young, it should be you, not me.”

“Just because someone was born a couple of months ahead of me doesn’t mean I am young, Zhang.”

“In my book, it does.”

“Then you need to re-write another chapter.”

“It is already an sold-out limited edition hardcover book, there is no way I can make any changes to it.”

 

He smirked in victory. Jack knew she had no other comebacks so instead, he smirked and declared victory.

 

“Wow, you guys are so similar its frightening.” Jack and Gui turn to see Angela Zhang stand next to Gui.

 

 

Jack and Angela Zhang wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter