Chapter 17

Ever So Enchanting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER 17: The Anticipated Arrival

 

 

 

DING!

 

 

Aaron walk over to see his butler and the Wu Residence’s butler inviting themselves in. They weren’t exaclty un-invited guests but walking in uninvited is certainly not a good habit to uphold.

“What is this? Why are you here?”

“Young master Yan, we have been sent by your respected families to help you and young miss prepare for the big night.”

“Oh right, I nearly forgot... where did I place that envelope anyway?”

Aaron opened a drawer, taking out the fancy golden invite for the party.

“What party?” Wu Ying Jie stared at her butler and Aaron’s butler who came to their penthouse. “How come we don’t know about it?” Aaron handed the invitation over to Gui.

“Master Chen is hosting a party at his house. He wishes all his family and friends to be in attendance for the party.” Butler Yan stated as he snap his fingers to have a row of maids walk in with one dress in hand.

“Miss. Wu, you can pick your dress from the selection we have brought in. All of these dresses you see here are by world-renowned designers and of course, we have chosen and pre-selected these dresses with Miss. Wu’s preference in mind.”

Aaron glance at the selection of dresses to see that there were some dresses that were short and some were longer than others, while some were more revealing than others.

“My father did this didn’t he? Dad clearly knows that I don’t like going to these events.” Gui said in her quietest voice that caught the ears of Butler Wu. He only smiled warmly as a response to her words.

“We have been going to these formal events a lot.” Aaron and Gui look over to each other.

“Your brother will be there.” Once Gui heard the news, her eyes instantly brightened up. “GE?!”

“Yes, Master Wu wishes for his attendance to Master Chen’s party as well.”

When Gui heard of his attendance, she look over to the dresses and randomly picked one from the selection. “Wonderful choice as always Miss. Wu.”

Aaron took a peek at the light pink dress with a crystal belt wrapped around the waist. The dress was simple, it wasn’t over the top but as Aaron tried to picture her in it, he quickly step back to stop himself. There’s no way he was going to imagine her in the dress, at this point in time, she said that she didn’t want to be in an relationship with him and he is fine with her decision. He will have to wait for the perfect opportunity to seize his chance.

He will have to find himself another route to declare their title.

If they were getting ready for the party 6 months ago, he would’ve smacked himself for imaging her in that light pink dress but now, things have taken an unexpected turn. He has finally cleansed his heart clean from his first love and now, there is a vacant spot left. Whether they continue with their relationship or not, will depend on what happens on their next moves. Like in chess, the first to declare checkmate—wins.

“Then let’s get ready.”                                                                                                                                     

As soon as Aaron said that, Gui ran into her room to begin preparations while he stood there, amazed at her sudden mood change. He was snapped back to reality by Butler Yan who cleared his throat, signalling him to go into his room while they start preparing the couple for the party.

 

.

.

.

 

After several hours gone by, Aaron was the first to come out. He checked himself in the mirror, his Armani tuxedo was tailored fitted to his size so it fit perfectly like a glove.

When he heard the sound of heels clicking, he glanced over to her room to see Ying Jie come out soon after he did. She wasn’t overshadowed by all the accessories nor was she missing anything from her look, she walked out beautifully, just like a swan.

When Gui walked out of her room, she thought Aaron was handsome (in his everday look) so there’s absolutely no way he can be even more handsome then he already was, but seeing him in his tuxedo, she felt her heart skip a beat. She didn’t know what it was that made her stop to look at him but she did, she never regarded herself as pretty and cute but there was the first for everything right? Just like now, seeing him the way he is looking, it made her forget who she was looking at. He looked like a model straight from a runway, Aaron Yan, this obessed-player looks like a fashion model ripped out of a magazine.

“I look weird right? I have never been the girl who would–“

“No!” Surprised by his loud voice, he cleared his throat, “What I mean is that... You look nice, you don’t look weird at all.”

“Really? There is no use to flatter me.” Gui walk over to the mirror to see her own reflection.

“It’s the truth and when I say you look pretty, I’m not lying.” Aaron said as he walk up from behind her.

Gui wanted to turn around to face him but he stopped her by putting his hands on her shoulders, telling her not to turn around.

If only Aaron knew that by being behind her can cause her heart to jump a couple of paces, would he still be behind her? He had no idea how loudly her heart is beating but if he knew, what would or can he do?

Gui froze when she felt his fingers on the back of her neck. She watch his fingers unhook the necklace, putting it back in the jewelry case. “Just tonight, I want you to shine, not the necklace.”

‘Aaron...’ She wanted to say his name but she stopped herself so instead, she open her lips and asked him, “why?”

“All jokes aside, I do not want you to be remembered as the girl who concealed herself. I want you to be the girl who is remembered, even if it’s just for one night, one night can change your world.”

She couldn’t think of anything to say back, when someone gives you a response like that, what can you say? The time spent with him has been nothing more than torture for Gui. She didn’t know why he said those words to her and why he was so nice to her when she has been barking at him since the beginning.

Was it because she didn’t want to admit it? That she was developed feelings for him?

Is that why? If that’s the case, when did these feelings begin?

“Okay, let’s go.” Aaron whispered lightly as he held his arm up for her to snake her arm through.

She complied and walked out of their penthouse together.

 

 

 

••••

 

 

 

Mr. Chen was never a big person for celebrations but because he is the type to organize a low-key party, why not go for something a little different this year? After all, one’s birthday comes only once every year.

Mr. Chen look over to his son who brought his date with him. He admits, he expected her son to marry into the rich, following their social status but when Calvin introduced his girlfriend to him, he could see where his son’s infatuation lies. Genie Zhou is a girl who holds family dear to her heart, something that most of families living in the rich part of the neighbourhood wouldn’t be able to understand where that endearment is or comes from.

As he swirl the liquid around his hands, he found himself growing fond of her. But marriage wise? Now that’s a whole different scenario.

 

“Uncle Chen! Happy 55th!” Mr. Chen look over to see Rainie Yang who greeted him with all smiles. “Thank you Rainie, as I am told, your father cannot be here to see this old man.”

“Old? Uncle Chen, you are what I call beautifully aged.”

“And will I still be beautifully aged?”

“Yes Uncle Chen, by the way, where is Calvin?”

“Oh? So I wasn’t your first choice?”

“No No, you know I didn’t mean it like that!”

Mr. Chen blissfully cracked into a smile as he nodded, “did they come, Calvin and his friends? If I could remember clearly, they weren’t big on events like these.”

Mr. Chen held up his champagne and pointed over to Calvin. “My son is over there, go and say your greetings. I will deal with your father later.”

“Go easy on him Uncle Chen~”

“Don’t worry a thing about it, now go, catch up.”

“Okay–”

 

Rainie froze when her heart beat quickened.

All heads turn.

 

She knew it wasn’t the classical music, it wasn’t the glass of wine in her hands and it wasn’t the conversation she was having with Mr. Chen. So what was it?

Rainie look up to catch Mr. Chen’s line of view directed somewhere else. “Ah, they finally came.”  ‘Who?’

Interested, she turn around slowly to see the one person she turn around to see Aaron standing from afar but in context, they were finally standing in the same room together. To be able to meet each other again, after their break-up, was it fate that wanted to bring them back together?

Rainie smiled as she look at his handsome face. All the years they haven’t seen each other, he was no longer the little nerd that she knew. He was Aaron Yan, the boy who confessed and proposed to her.

She lightly touch the ring on her finger, similar in design to Aaron’s ring.

“Rainie, remember it’s this old man’s big night.”

“Of course it is, Uncle Chen!”

“Alright, go and greet your old friends.”

She took the suggestion and made her way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter