Guest # 2

Finding You, You, You, You and You!!

Guest # 2

 

Damn it...I forgot again.

 

Even while knowing that his efforts were futile, Youngjae, not wanting to look out of place from his classmates, looked through his bag again for the object that wasn't there. He figured that he had to tell sooner or later that he had forgotten to pack his swim shorts but of course, in reality, his sister's latest boyfriend had taken them and Youngjae hadn't bothered to ask for them back. He huffed a little, then–deciding that there was nothing he could do to change his current situation– started to hum his favorite song, "Close My Eyes." 

What Youngjae didn't realize or perhaps, he simply didn't know, was that three boys were keeping their eyes on him the whole time and waiting for a chance to approach him. As soon as Youngjae started to drift away from the group and towards the secluded rocks, one by one, all of the three boys made their way after. 

Youngjae was washing off the mud that he had gotten on the hem of his pants earlier when Junhong sat down on the rocks next to him. There was something about the younger that no matter how much Youngjae tried, he couldn't bring himself to hate him–even if he was dating Daehyun and all.

"Junhong, you're going to fall in if you don't move back."

"I'm already wet, hyung…plus, I think drowning isn't such a bad thing…"

"Y-you okay? Why are you saying weird things like that for? Geez, Junhong."

Youngjae watched the said boy's stern expression remain for a second more before disappearing behind a smile. Junhong also looked like he was debating whether or not to say something so Youngjae gave him an encouraging smile.

"Did I scare you, hyung? Sorry about that…Hyung….I don't know if I should tell you this but I feel like I should so…I-I think Daehyun hyung is sick because I saw him fall on the road while running…"

"….Uh…really?…t-thanks for telling me…listen, Junhong, don't be worried about it, okay?"

As if it was the confirmation he was looking for, as soon as the words left Youngjae's mouth, Junhong nodded, gave a reassuring smile and said goodbye. While Youngjae watched Junhong walk towards the group, he saw that Daehyun and JB were both heading towards him. He tried to hold his breath for whatever was going to happen but found that he had already been holding his breath for a while. He thought about since when he had been holding it and wondered if he had ever peacefully breathed. With his feet dangling in the water, he suddenly remembered Junhong's earlier words and agreed that perhaps drowning wouldn't be so bad.

"Yah, Youngjae, you want to die like that? Your pants and shoes are all wet and stuff!!"

Youngjae didn't answer to Daehyun's voice but a small smile escaped him and he was glad that his back was still turned to the two.

"Hey, you forgot your swim shorts in my bag…here…we're about to go in the water so…let's go.."

JB was lying and it was too obvious to Youngjae. He figured that his friend had probably known from the start, brought two of his own shorts from home and till now, had waited for a chance to give it. Before Youngjae could say something, Daehyun had already started to bicker with JB.

"Why are his shorts in your bag?? Ha, those are not his at all!! I would know because I am his best friend, Jaebum! Besides, why are you getting so worked up about this??"

"Why are you, Daehyun? Why does it matter if I give him my shorts or not? If he really is your best friend then I'm surprised I know more about your best friend than you–"

"Wha-what do you mean? Yah, JB!"

"Just forget it, Daehyun.."

Youngjae couldn't deal with this right now and JB, nice as he was, wasn't helping the situation at all so he finally broke up their little argument and told them that he just wanted to be alone right now. After finally realizing that JB was giving his shorts because Youngjae didn't have his, Daehyun insisted on giving his pants too but when Youngjae remained seated on the rock, both of them placed their respective clothes on the nearest rock and left. Youngjae remained unresponsive because suddenly, the water seemed very comforting, warm and inviting. About five minutes after the two left, Youngjae heard footsteps towards him and without turning around, he wondered who it was again. It was JB.

"Hey, you're not thinking of jumping, are you?....ok, sorry about that...and...sorry earlier too…I just…nevermind...um…listen, you should take Daehyun's pants…both of you will like that anyways…well, I'm just going to take mine and head back. You should join us, Youngjae–"

"JB?"

"Hmm?"

"You really think I can get it?…..the contest?"

"Oh, you read the flyer? Of course!! You're the smartest person I know and....more than that, you're the most deserving person I know…."

"JB....is it hard?"

"What?"

"Caring....for me?"

"Hmmm...is it hard for you?....caring for Daehyun?"

"I-I guess it just came so naturally that..I-I never really thought about it.."

"Same with me....be-because...uh...you know, you're my friend and all....uh...now, don't think too much about this either and come join us quickly...hey, I gotta go or Ms. Noh will eat my head."

After encouragingly squeezing Youngjae's shoulder, JB was off again and when Youngjae turned around a bit later, only Daehyun's pants stared back at him. He sighed and figuring that now was a good time as ever, started to change his pants. As he walked back–his hands inside the pockets–he found a piece of paper which to him, weighed more than all the salt they were going to collect today. His eyes kept searching for the owner of this paper even while Ms. Noh separated the class into groups and gave them separate duties to fulfill. Even as his hands shook a little and his head felt heavy, Youngjae knew that he had to confront Daehyun today and perhaps, here on the beach, the wind and water would give him shelter when he broke down afterwards. He mustered up what little courage remained in him, grabbed the little shovel and headed to where Daehyun was. Probably because of his physical condition, Daehyun had been assigned to just label and number bags and even though he was doing the least work out of all of them, Youngjae felt like he was stuck with the worst job.

"Hey"

Daehyun looked startled but seeing Youngjae and even more upon realizing whose pants Youngjae was wearing, smiled a little. He nodded in return, his eyes curiously on the shovel. 

"You're not supposed to be here, Yoo Youngjae"

The said boy shrugged lightly and faked innocence, making Daehyun chuckle and shake his head. Seeing him like this made Youngjae feel like Daehyun was okay and everything was fine, if only for a second. He smiled back.

"I know, I know…only special people, right?"

"See, you get it!"

Youngjae scoffed and nodded. "Well…you don't want to remain to be special forever, do you?" He took out the paper and watched Daehyun's face harden at the sight but he wasn't going to be scared. "Daehyun, you need to get the prescriptions so you can get better…why don't you–"

Daehyun quickly grabbed the paper and put it in his pocket. "S-stop…you have no right to tell me what to know when you know I'm like this because of you–"

"Because it's my fault that you're like this, I have every right to tell you! Daehyun, please…I did what I could, didn't I? I notified the cops and..."

"….I wasn't crying out for the police, was I? I was calling for you, Youngjae…I just don't understand why you won't tell me...what was so important that you left me when I needed you the most….Youngjae?"

"I-I can't…Dae–"

"Then we have nothing to talk about."

Youngjae's eyes were suddenly moist and he cursed the wind for making it seem like he was crying when he wasn't. He didn't bother to meet JB's soothing smile on the way back to his assigned group or pay attention to the conversation between Junhong, Jongup and Yongguk because suddenly, all of it seemed to mock him. He told himself that he was perfectly fine even though, as he dragged his steps, he felt every shred of him tear apart along the way.

Not sad at all.