Chapter4

Blind Traces

 

So Min got out her room, when the servant called her to be in the living room as Mrs. Kim instructed. She was thinking what she will say to her late at night.

 

She sat on the opposite couch. She sat with grace and fine.

 

“So Min, are you excited for tomorrow?” Mrs. Kim asked.

 

“Yeah. I’m also nervous for the first day in college.” She admitted.

 

“That’s normal. You’ll do well.” Mr. Kim said encouraging his future daughter-in-law.

 

“Thank you.” She said shyly.

 

“I hope you will like our simple gift to you.” Mrs. Kim said pointing the boxes in the coffee table. “Open it.” So Min grabbed the box on the top to open.

 

It was a pair of dancing shoes imported from New York.

 

“Wow. Is it really for me?” She asked with amazement.

 

“Did you like it?” So Min nodded.

 

“This looks expensive. I can’t accept it.”

 

“Forget about the price. We bought it for you. Look at this dress, when I saw this I knew that this was for you.” Mrs. Kim insisted.

 

“But it looks very expensive.” She protested.

 

“We’ll be very disappointed if you won’t accept. Come on, you try this on.” Mrs. Kim said to make her feel guilty.

 

Mrs. Kim waited for her to get out of the closet to see the dress on her. She walked out like a goddess. The red, above the knee dress made her look like a princess. Mrs. Kim was very happy that it looked good on her.

 

----------------

 

“Drive carefully son.” Mrs. Kim waved her goodbye to them.

 

Hyun Joong was driving and So Min on the passenger seat. It was a complete silence during the whole ride.

 

He asked her to get out of the car before entering the gate. She got no choice so she followed his order obediently.

 

“I’ll just call you later. We should go home together or Mom would get mad of me.” He said, leaving her in the street.

 

‘If not for my grandpa I wouldn’t stay in your life. How can you just leave your fiancé in the street? So Min forget it, don’t ruin your first day in college. SMILE!’ So Min thought.

 

----------------

 

So Min was walking in the hallways, looking for her first class.

 

“Hey, are you lost?” A female voice asked her.

 

“Kinda. I can’t find my class.”

 

“You’re a freshman? Can I see your schedule?” The girl asked and looked at her schedule. “It’s in the 4th floor second door from the stairs.”

 

“Oh, thank you. Miss….”

 

“Helena. I’m a sophomore student. And you are?”

 

“Jung So Min. Thank you sunbae.” She smiled to her.

 

“You’re welcome. It’s nice to meet new students. I’ll see you around So Min. Have fun.” Helena smiled to the freshman.

 

‘She has a good posture.’ Helena thought while watching So Min walk.

 

--------------

 

So Min found the classroom half full, the students were almost girls. She settled herself in the middle row. A girl sat beside her, she smiled.

 

“I’m Tricia, and you are?” The girl said extending her hands to her.

 

“I’m So Min. Nice to meet you.”

 

“I wonder what the teacher will look like. I heard she is still middle-aged and single. Where are you from?” Tricia said making So Min feel comfortable.

 

“Really? I’m from the countryside. I just got here a week ago. You?”

 

“I’m born here in Seoul. So where are you staying?”

 

“Uhm. In my fianc---- grandpa’s friend house.”

 

“Oh, doesn’t you feel uncomfortable I mean, why don’t you just rent an apartment?”

 

“My grandpa wanted me to stay there. The family is great and kind.”

 

“Do you share a room with anyone?”

 

“They gave me my own room.”

 

“Ah, I’m envious. I still share a room with my little sister. I want to have a room of my own. It’s killing me.”

 

“You’re lucky to have a sister. My grandpa is my only relative.”

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.”

 

“I can be your sister from now on.” Tricia said

 

So Min found comfort and a friend on Tricia. So Min and Tricia luckily had the same class for the rest of the semester.

 

----------------

 

They were eating their lunch on the cafeteria, when two guys entered and made the atmosphere in the cafeteria different.

 

“Woo Bin is here.” “Gosh, he is so handsome.” “Oh my! He is very masculine.” Some girls murmured, as they saw him walking.

 

Woo Bin and Peter sat on a table near the window.

 

“Get my lunch. I want a cola in can for drinks.” Woo Bin ordered to a guy.

 

“What about for lunch?”

 

“Stupid! Get the best lunch for me.”

 

“Same for me. Oh, I want fresh apples.” Peter followed.

 

-----------

 

“What was that? Who are those?” So Min asked Tricia.

 

“The one who smiles is Peter. The other one is Woo Bin, he is the son of the owner of the university. I heard from my friends that he despise girls.”

 

“That’s why he is rude. He despises girls?”

 

“Yeah. He don’t talk to the females, he never dated even once. Gosh, he is so handsome.”

 

“Yeah, he looks good.” So Min agreeing to Tricia.

 

---------------

 

Peter was smiling to the girls, unlike Woo Bin who is staring outside.

 

“Yo! Don’t you enjoy the first day of school?”

 

“Who would enjoy the stares? We can eat outside, why eat here?”

 

“We need to be regular college students.”

 

“Agh! If you want girls, why drag me here?” Woo Bin said as he looked at him. He stopped when he saw a familiar girl in the mall. He stared at her.

 

“Yo! What happened?”  Peter snapped.

 

“She is here.”

 

“Who?” Peter saw the girl. “Woah. Small world, she is studying here. Go get her.”

 

“Shut up!” Woo Bin said looking at her with a smile.

 

“What is her relationship with Hyun Joong? They don’t seem close though.”

 

Their lunch arrived. Woo Bin asked the guy to know everything about that girl and report it to him. He kept on looking at her and noticed the uniqueness of her beauty. Her smiles, small laughs, and her whole face were kept on his mind.

 

------------

 

So Min felt uneasy when she saw Hyun Joong and his friends with Helena in the cafeteria. She didn’t saw Helena at first. She and Tricia was about to go when Helena noticed her. Hyun Joong was left quiet when he saw Helena approaching So Min.

 

“So Min, have you had fun in your class?”

 

“Yeah. Thanks sunbae.”

 

“I want to see you in the dance studio after class. Can you?”

 

“Hm? Of course.” So Min smiled to her.

 

“Good.” Helena smiled to her and held Hyun Joong’s hands.

 

So Min smiled to them and walked with Tricia. Hyun Joong looked at her with surprise.

 

‘She is his girlfriend. She is kind and elegant.’ So Min thought.

 

‘Something is not right.’ Woo Bin thought.