19

Blind Traces

 

So Min looked at him blankly while he didn’t dare to look at her.

 

‘If he likes me? Of course I’ll be surprised. I don’t want to be unfair to you so please don’t like me, at least for now.’ She prayed silently.

 

Suddenly her phone rang and they both thanked the caller silently, it surely removed the awkward atmosphere.

 

Tricia, I’m so sorry. Please? Grandpa is here and I need to see him, I’m sorry. Yeah, I’m with him. I promise to take you out for lunch tomorrow, my treat.” She looked up to Hyun Joong if she can; he just nodded and concentrated in the road. “Is it settled? Oh good! Bye. Take care.” She said and shut her phone.

 

“I remember, my friends wanted to meet you, so I think we can have lunch tomorrow.” He said without waiting for her agreement.

 

So Min just looked at him full of surprise. She wondered how she got caught up with Hyun Joong.

 

They stopped in the restaurant named Somewhere in Heaven. So Min smiled to herself for thinking something dirty. He opened his car door and walked to her side to open her door up, but she already did it, so he just extend his hand to assist her.

 

“Better grab this. Your grandfather is here.” He whispered to her.

 

“How could you hide this from me?” She asked as she grabbed his hand.

 

“I thought you knew it since grandpa is here, he would definitely see his granddaughter.” He smirked and led her inside the restaurant.

 

So Min excitedly run to her grandfather and gave the old man a big hug. They both sat near each other. After some time their food arrived.

 

“What a surprise grandpa!” So Min said excitedly.

 

“I know you will be. I had some important things to attend to in here and I accidentally met Mr. Song so he invited me and I’m there.” Grandpa explained.

 

“How did you know him?” So Min asked.

 

“He is your father’s friend way back before. He is a very close family friend.” Grandpa said carefully not to spill the engagement to Woo Bin.

 

“Really? What a small world.” She said and smiled weakly.

 

“A really small world.” Hyun Joong said imitating and looking at her.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Grandpa asked when he noticed the look on the youngsters.

 

“Nothing. It’s just that Woo Bin and So Min are friends. No wonder they seem close, their fathers are friends from before.” Hyun Joong said.

 

“Really? I guess that’s it. That young man seems to be cold with others.” Grandpa commented as he sensed what Hyun Joong was talking about.

 

So Min just ate in silence as both men talked about the whole topic. She just wished that they could change the topic.

 

When their lunch was about to finish, grandpa already said what he wants.

 

“So Min, Hyun Joong. I just talked to your parents about this and we both decided to hold your engagement party as soon as possible. We don’t see anything not to go on with the plan since you both seem to get along well. And in the next few months wedding will push through.” He concluded.

 

Both looked at each other and then turned to grandpa. Hyun Joong didn’t say anything as he already accepts the fact that they will be married.

 

“What?! Grandpa I thought marriage will be years from now. Why?” So Min asked with surprise and displeasure.

 

“So Min, I’m not getting any younger. This old man wants to see you walk down the aisle with the man who will cherish you. I know I told you that marriage will take place after some time, but--”

 

“But what? Grandpa, I know that you want to see me getting married but it’s too early. I mean, I and Hyun Joong are sure getting along well but I want to get married with the man I love.” So Min said with full disappointment, but her voice deteriorated as she said the last part. She looked at Hyun Joong and then looked down to her plate.

 

“What do you mean? You found someone you love?”

 

“I fully know that I will be married to Hyun Joong, so what’s the point of finding someone to love?” She said, but in her heart she knows that she already found one. Though she didn’t find it, it just came. “I want to love Hyun Joong first and marry him, just give us time to grow love to each other.” That’s really her plan to love the man she will marry first before marrying him, though it is an arranged marriage. “I want to be a normal bride.”

 

“So Min, I know. I exactly know it. But my health is not playing its part well.”

 

“Grandpa I don’t want to be unfair to Hyun Joong. He is a good man.”

 

“Grandpa, can we just do the engagement first? I get the point of So Min here. I also don’t want to be unfair to our heart, to any of us.” Hyun Joong said, saving So Min. He fully knows why So Min is reacting this way; it is because of Song Woo Bin. He is hurt, but he can’t afford to see So Min getting hurt by him.

 

“Can you both promise me one thing?” Grandpa asked before fully giving up with them.

 

“Anything.” Both answered.

 

“You will just have a year to plant a love to each other. Whether something grew or not after a year you will be married. But either if you two will be caught cheating, marriage will take place immediately.” Grandpa said emphasizing the word immediately.

 

“Promise.” Both said.

 

--------------------------------------

 

So Min was leaning in the wall near the door of Hyun Joong, she was waiting for him to talk. She didn’t want to knock because she doesn’t have the courage to face him. She was disappointed to herself after replaying the events from her bed.

 

The door opened and she was startled.

 

“Not yet sleeping?” She asked to Hyun Joong.

 

“I can’t sleep. You?”

 

“Me too. Want to eat something? Or drink something?” She asked as he walked behind him.

 

“Nope.”

 

“Where are you going?” She asked. She can feel his coldness towards her but she insisted on following him.

 

“Why do you have so many questions tonight?” He asked facing her.

 

“Nothing.” She answered shyly.

 

He opened the music room and she followed him. He just looked at her sitting in the piano and then he walked to get his violin. He was surprised when he heard her playing a piano piece. He looked at her and there he saw an angel.  She was playing a classic love song; he just stood there feeling her piano piece.

 

“Are you disappointed in me?” She asked when she finished playing.

 

“You were good in playing.” He said coldly.

 

“I don’t mean the piano. I mean earlier, you’re disappointed?”

 

“What have been said has been said, so what’s the point of being disappointed?”

 

“You are.” She said as she lowered her head. “I’m sorry.” She said with a weak smile.

 

“Sorry for what?”

 

“For being stubborn. For being unfair. For everything.”

 

“You said everything earlier because of him, right?” He asked as he faced her. She looked at him with a big question in her face, so he said, “Woo Bin.”

 

“It’s for you.” She said weakly. “If you will be devoted to me, I will also be. Just give me time to clean my heart.”

 

He managed to smile, a very disappointed smile, so he asked, “What would you do?”

 

“Hmm.” She first muttered. She took a deep breath and continued, “Can I have the Sunday as my free day?” She said without even looking at him. She paused for a while to prepare herself, “Free day as in, I’m not engaged to you. Just let me be a normal girl.” He didn’t say anything. He just walked off, leaving her.

 

So Min stayed in her place for a while. She didn’t want to do this, but she knows that this would be the best way to forget him. Whatever her plan, only she knows what is it. She just needs to play well and get the job done.

 

He was so tired to react from everything. He needs a little comfort from all the emotional stress, he’s undergoing. All he wants is a little comfort from her, her, the woman that she will marry, the woman that makes him thread out his feelings. But, she is there asking for a free day, for what? For the man that she loves? Who is it? Him? Or him?

 

‘Am I this bad in my past life?’ He asked in his mind as he gulped his glass of strong rum.

 

When he is about to pour himself another shot, he felt something warm from his back; the warmness that he wanted to claim, the warmness that could calm his being.

 

He released the glass from his hand and faced the woman that gives him warmness, it was dark but still he can figure out the apologetic look of So Min, so he hugged her, tight.

 

“Just promise me you will,” he paused because he felt her hug becoming tighter and tears were flowing down from her eyes, “you will...”

 

She just continued what he was about to say, “I’ll be yours...I’m yours.”

 

With that he used his thumb to wipe off his tears, slowly an urge struck him to caress her pinkish lips, but she just hugged him, instead of receiving her first kiss.

 

 

*Please don't kill me for the coming chapters, okay?*