Invitation (1)

Forget Me Not

Two weeks later... (25th of January 2013)

 

It's already 4.30pm. Only half an hour more. He was running out of time. He felt the urgency to approach her but his legs just won't agree. "A man is courageous and fearless." He reminded himself. It just didn't work. He already spent seven and a half hours sitting in his office, waiting for himself to gather up his courage. He is desperate but his anxiety was more than enough to overtake it.

 

He repeatedly practiced his words in his office while looking at Lizzy's direction.

 

"Lizzy-ssi, I hope you will attend an alumni dinner this Sunday." He started mumbling, "No! It's not good enough."

 

"I have an alumni dinner this Sunday and yet I have not a single partner to go with." He shook his head. It was too obvious and random to bring that up, especially when they only knew each other for three weeks.

 

...

 

It's already 5pm. It's time to leave the office for home and he had not even leave his office, not even a single step. Just then, through the window, he saw Ga-in from the entrance walking towards his office. An idea struck his mind.

 

...

 

"No way!" Ga-in folded her arms.

 

"Please..." Kwon's aegyo was received with a stoic face.

 

"That won't change my answer." She said chicly.

 

Kwon was desperate. He needed her to agree before Lizzy leaves.

 

"Please..." He asked again before he moved on to his last resort.

 

"No." Ga-in replied firmly.

 

Kwon was left with no choice. "I promise. I won't irritate Kwill anymore. I'll let you have your way."

 

"I'm not believing you." She said but deep down she was tempted.

 

...

 

Ga-in walked towards Lizzy who was packing her bag to leave the office for home. She was undeniably confused and jealous. Why Lizzy? Why not her?

 

Lizzy looked at Ga-in. "Annyeong Unnie! Here to see Jo Kwon- ssi? He's..."

 

Ga-in interrupted her. "I saw him already. In fact, he wanted me to ask you if you are available on this Sunday."

 

"This Sunday?" She thought for a while before replying with a no. "What is it for?" She asked.

 

"Kwon's alumni dinner. A pity you can't make it... He was really hoping for you to go..." Ga-in smiled politely. "Well... if you ever change your mind, text him."

 

Kwon, from inside his office, saw Lizzy waving Ga-in goodbye and leave the office. He then rushed to Ga-in. "How's it?"

 

"She's not free that day." Ga-in noticed how disappointed Kwon was. She was further confused. Didn't Kwon like her?

 

"She's not the only one you can go with." Ga-in hinted.

 

"Who else can I ask?" He looked at her, a little upset.

 

It took Kwon a while to realise Ga-in was hinting to him that she could go in Lizzy's place. He held his laughter, almost recovering from his disappointment.

 

"There's really no one I can ask. I can't think of anyone." He continued, teasing her.

 

Ga-in became annoyed. "Babo... Don't you realise I'm talking about myself? Am I not a female? Why didn't you think of me?" She raised her voice at him, losing her chic self which was a rare occurrence.

 

"Babo! My friends know you. I need someone to act as my 'girlfriend'. They'll recognise you right away with the thick eyeliner of yours." He started laughing as he found the embarrassed Ga-in funny. "Aigoo... Our cute Gainnie."

 

Being prideful, she chicly said, "Anyway, I'm not free that day either so..."

 

...

 

It's only one day away from the alumni dinner. He still had not a single partner to go with. His desperate self lead him to...

 

Ding dong...

 

Ga-in plodded to the door with her heavy feet. It was her day-off and it's 8am in the morning. She sees Kwon through the glass window in her living room. She smirked. "You still need my help after all..."

 

She put on her chic expression before opening the front door. Upon seeing Kwon in front of her, she asked,"What are you doing here?"

 

"Umm..." Hesitant, he could not say what he wanted to.

 

"Mwo? (What?) You came over at such an early hour to be silent?"

 

"Be my partner for tomorrow."

 

"I told you I'm not free tomorrow."

 

"What do you want?"

 

"I want nothing. As I said, I'm busy."

 

Kwon knew she lying to cling on to her pride. He pulled her wrist, forcing her into his car. He quickly drove off as soon as he closed the doors. (The engine was already switched (?) on.)

 

"Ya! Where are we going?!" She yelled at the top of her lungs.

 

"The department store. To buy your outfit for tomorrow."

 

"In this state?! I haven't even changed out into outdoor clothes."

 

...

 

Ga-in brushed her fingers against the soft silk of the formal dresses on display in a high-end department store in the mall. She was mesmerised by the variety of dresses available. Lace, glitter to mesh... To Kwon, they looked all the same and women are all the same, easily tempted by the mere sight of such dresses.

 

"Take your pick. I'll pay for it."

 

"Jinjja? (Really?)"

 

"As long as it doesn't exceed 500,000 won." He said with confidence. Ga-in was not surprised at such a high budget. After all, he came from one of the top three universities in South Korea. Most of his friends are now successful rich people. It was no wonder that the alumni dinner would be a huge event with people from different faculties and he, as Seoul's most popular journalist, must spare no cost in appearance, especially to strengthen his reputation and maintain his good networks.

 

Ga-in tried many dresses, shoes, bags and accessories. She liked all of it and to choose one of each was a great torture for her. It was only after 2 hours she made her choice.

 

"It's just a dress. Anything will do." He grumbled.

 

"That wasn't what you said just now. You told me to take my pick."

 

Just like all women, she left the place with a bright smile.

 

...

 

The next afternoon...

 

Kwon arrived at Ga-in's apartment to fetch her to the hotel where the alumni dinner will be held in. He waited in the living room while Ga-in was changing in her bedroom. He still had an hour to the start of the dinner.

 

"Ya! Are you done? We are getting late." He yelled. There was no reply.

 

"Ya!" Kwon yelled again. "Is she okay?" He thought.

 

He walked to the door of the bedroom and knocked. That last knock he missed as she swung open the door.

 

He was spellbounded. The sight in front of him...

 

...................................................................................................................................................................

 

Short chapter. Managed to squeeze in a last update before I go on hiatus for 3 weeks.

 

Please comment:)

 

SPOILER:

An unexpected guest...