Revisit

Forget Me Not

Two days later... (22 September 2013, Saturday)

 

Ga-in walked into the garden with much anticipation. She saw little children running about the playground, having much fun in the sunny yet cool weather. The sounds of their laughter... she really missed the cheery atmosphere the place brought her. Everything there was full of nostalgia. It had been 7 years since she left the orphanage. She had always been wanting to revisit but her busy schedules in both her university and working years didn't allow her to do so since the place was out of the way, near the borders of Seoul. She could visit the orphanage owners at their homes so visiting the orphanage wouldn't be necessary. It was only recently her busy schedules seemed to have died down that she had more free time. This time, she came after Miryo gave her a call.

 

"Gain-ah, I told my mom about your situation. Come to the orphanage whenever you are free to meet her. She has something to tell you... about your past."

 

Her presence was immediately acknowledged as soon as the nuns in the orphanage recognised her without her usual thick eyeliner.

 

"Gain-ah!" The middle-aged nuns crowded around her, some clasping her hands, expressing their concerns for her outside the orphanage. "How are you? Are you living well?" "I heard about the scandal you had. I don't believe you are that kind of person. We watched you grow up. We know what kind of a person you are."

 

Ga-in assured them that she's living well and emphasised that her marriage life, although was fake, was quite okay and that her husband is treating her really well unlike what they thought.

 

She asked if Mrs Jo was in her office before she made her way there.

 

Knock Knock...

 

"Come in." A soft motherly voice was vaguely heard from inside the office. Ga-in opened the door and instantly, Mrs Jo stood up. "Gain-ah! You really came? I thought you wouldn't because of Kwonnie..." She said when she wasn't expecting her to actually be willing to visit. Ga-in smiled upon hearing that to assure her. "Omma, why would I not visit you?" She said jokingly, hoping for Mrs Jo to feel more comfortable.

 

"Mianhae, Gain-ah... My son... I don't know what's wrong with him... Please forgive uri Kwonnie... It's my faut for not teaching him well." She begged, feeling guilty for all the hurt her son had inflicted on Ga-in.

 

"I'm not angry at him. It's not his fault that he didn't like me. He was just honest about it. We wouldn't have gone far anyway if the feelings aren't mutual, omma."

 

Mrs Jo, noticing that the topic had made Ga-in's mood seem down, decided to go to the real topic that she had in mind.

 

"Ga-in, I heard from Mi-hye that you've started to remember bits and pieces of your early childhood. I believe you do remember that the orphanage have knowledge of some of your past that you have forgotten but that we didn't reveal any to you because we were advised not to trigger your past memories since you were still young to handle the emotions of the loss of your parents, unless it was regained naturally. When you were 19 and about to leave the orphanage, responsible for your own life, you decided against us revealing any of those information to you. We understood why you did so and we agreed. Uri Mi-hye just told me yesterday that now, you are starting to remember your past and trying hard to do so. I thought I would have the responsibility to tell you what I have hidden from you since the past 19 years." Mrs Jo recalled as she explained the purpose of their meeting today. She waited for signs of approval from Ga-in before she proceeded to her next words.

 

"Listen to me, Gain-ah. You were born on the 20th of September 1987. You didn't attend kindergarten since your parents couldn't afford the fees. I heard you were home schooled by your neighbours who volunteered to teach and care for children your age in Dangsan-dong, where you lived in then (a neighbourhood where mostly the low-income families live). Your mum sells vegetables in a neighbourhood market while your father works as a chauffeur." She said without reading it from anywhere since she remembered them by hard. Ga-in, other than her parents' names, didn't know any of what she just told her.

 

"You attended ... Elementary School only for one month and the accident happened." She continued. She then took out a box of her past belongings which was kept from her since they were thought to be able to trigger Ga-in's memories easily. Ga-in personally opened the box to see a photo album and diaries.

 

"I'm guessing you only had one album since your parents couldn't have afforded a camera. These seemed to be mostly photos with your neighbours so the camera must have belonged to one of them." Mrs Jo assumed.

 

"Neighbours?" She mumbled as she opened the album to see many photographs of she and many other children, one of them Kwill. "Is Kwill... my neighbour?"

 

"Just in case you want to visit your old home..." She said as she passed a slip of paper containing her address to her.

 

...

She felt a tap on her shoulders and turned around. Unexpectedly, it was Kwon.

 

"Why are you here?" He asked.

 

"This... I... came to see omma. " She gave a brief answer.

 

"What for?" He continued to question. Just then, she got an idea.

 

"Are you free right now? You came with your car?" She asked suddenly.

 

"Yeah... what's wrong?" He answered, bewildered by her sudden and random question.

 

...

 

"So this used to be your house?!" Kwon asked, shocked by the rundown appearance of the one storey tiny house which seemed to be unfit to be lived in. Other than a garden and a pretty playground next to the house, there seemed to be nothing acceptable.

 

Ga-in remembered this place very clearly. It was only months ago she came here with Kwill. The address which she only read in Kwon's car rang a bell. It was when she saw the place for herself she realised her house was on the right of Kwill's old home.

 

"This house belongs to a long-lost friend of mine. She and her family... migrated to Australia without telling the neighbours," Kwill told her then as he pointed to the house of his right.

 

He lied. The house belonged to her. He and her were neighbours during their childhood. She thought even further. He brought her here wasn't to let her know more about him, her idol, but to actually check how much she remembered about her past. He was testing her out.

 

"She was really an extremely close friend of mine. After school, she will help me take care of Lizzy. I really miss her now." She recalled him saying. But at the thought of Lizzy, her thoughts were disrupted, realising that Kwon is with her and in fact, gazing at her. Feeling awkward, she acted as if she didn't know and started to walk towards the gate of her old home.

 

She rang the doorbell but it didn't ring. Kwon then took over and instead yelled to ask if anyone's home.

 

"The doorbell's spoiled, Gain-ah. No one's at home now." A low voice was heard out of the sudden. The two of them turned to the left.

 

"Oh! Halmoni!" Ga-in walked towards the old lady whom she had met with Kwill then. The old lady then whipped out a key from her pocket. "I'm the landlord here. The owner allows me to enter the house anytime I want."

 

She had instincts that this time round Ga-in came for her past memories. She wanted to help out her god-daughter through this as much as she can help.

 

They entered the house, exploring the place starting from the living hall. They walked into the tiny kitchen and then into the bedroom.

 

"This is the bedroom where you and your parents slept in," She assumed that Ga-in knew that was her house. Ga-in walked into the room and unknowingly, her heart guided her to one of the corners in the room. "This was exactly where you slept, Gain-ah." The old lady smiled gladly.

 

The old lady then remembered that some of Ga-in's belongings were still in the house, missed by the people who packed her bags 19 years ago. "Wait a minute. I'll go look for them in the storeroom."

 

Ga-in and Kwon then walked around the garden while waiting for her to return with her belongings.

 

"So can you remember anything from here?" He asked.

 

"Not much... But I do feel familiar to this place, especially here, the garden," Ga-in replied in disappointment.

 

She saw a swing at the backyard and oddly, she found herself walking towards it, without even wanting to sit on that. "That..." As if a dream, her mind just wandered off to a familiar scene...

 

Flashback

 

"Swing even higher! You aren't that weak, oppa!" The girl yelled excitedly, unable to hold in her emotions when the swing she's sitting on is already on high-speed. She attempts to hold her legs up nearly perpendicular from the ground when the swing goes to its highest.

Kwill, annoyed that he haven't even sat on the swing for the day while she had been there for nearly 10 minutes, gathered all his strength and gave her one last push. With that, Ga-in screamed her lungs out with the force on her back. Her shoes flew off her feet as her legs went past that 90 degrees mark from the ground. She did a somersault in the air and before she landed on the ground, her legs hit the low branch of the tree which was supporting the swing. She let out a continuous cry as she felt the excruciating pain from the large bruise and a long cut she got from a stray stick on the branch.

 

End of Flashback

 

She blankly stared at the swing, oblivious of the rain which just started to pour.

 

"Ya! What are you doing? You're soaked!" Kwon ran over to her with an umbrella he had in his bag.

 

Just as she turned around as a response to him tugging her wrist, her face landed on his chest. While Kwon was shocked, Ga-in had no idea what was going on. One moment ago, her mind drifted somewhere and when she was in her own world, she felt someone tugging her hand out of the sudden and now... She realised the situation they're in now. Awkward silence ensued. Kwon didn't want to move at all, enjoying. Ga-in didn't dare to meet his face because she was again ashamed by what he told her. That he had no feelings for her, meaning her feelings were only one-sided. She didn't want to let him see her face since she knew she was blushing due to its warmness. She didn't want to be shamed by him for looking so desperately in love with him.

 

It's been 45 seconds and they knew they had been in the same position for too long that it's really getting even more awkward than it already was. Kwon tried to pull out of the hug, forcing her to seperate. She looked downwards in the hope of avoiding his face until she gets home. Kwon noticed her blush since even her forehead looked redder than usual.

 

"Aigoo... It's raining?" They heard halmoni's voice. Ga-in quickly took out her umbrella, opened it and walked towards the old lady. As she walked halmoni home with her belongings, she felt relieved temporarily that she got away from the awkward atmosphere even if it was only a minute. However, walking back to his car was tough. Still, she had to since she needed his car to get back home.

 

...

 

The entire 15 minutes car journey was quiet, other than Kwon asking her where she wanted to head to next.

 

They arrived at Gain's home and she alighted, not even asking him if he wanted to come in to take a seat for the sake of hospitality.

 

"Gain-ah!" He boldly called out, hoping for her to stay even if he knew he had no reasons to. She did but he had nothing to say. He gazed at her for seconds before she snapped out of the mutual gaze, slamming the door since she didn't have a clear mind of what she was doing. She ran into her house, not just because of the light drizzle but rather, Kwon.

 

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Update again! Adam Couple is back! Hope you liked it... even though I know the skinship scene was corny and awkward...

 

SPOILER:
 

"Hyungsoo-ah... I..." She tried to say. She haven't eaten a single bite yet despite it being 3 minutes into dinner.