Accident

Forget Me Not

Flashback

 

21st March 1994

"Gain-ah! Wake up!" The young Kwill shook her body desperately, earning the doctors' attention. He was pulled away by the nurses to prevent him from giving her body further shock. They were in an ICU and hence only two visitors are allowed at any time. His aunt initially didn't allow him to enter since he was still young and was worried for any infections which might infect him. She only gave into his request when she relented upon seeing him breakdown. As he went in, the aunt stayed behind to carry her 2-year-old daughter, Lizzy.

The nurses had no choice but to bring the hysterical boy out since he seemed emotionally unstable. He ran towards the window of the ICU and stared at the girl's lifeless body whose face was full of cuts. Soon, he couldn't even see clearly for his tears b on his eyes were blurring his vision.

"G...ga...in-ah..." He uttered as he whimpered. As if toddler Lizzy knew what was happening, she cried along as well, not stopping even when milk was given, diapers changed.

 

End of flashback

 

27th October 2013, Sunday (The next day)

 

Now, it was the other way around. This time, however, she was there to witness the events unfold before her eyes. She couldn't believe what she saw. He was alright just a moment ago. They were heading to a restaurant over lunch with Ga-in's plans to reveal her recovery there. All he did was just cross the street ahead of her.

 

She was sure she saw him checking out the road for cars before crossing. The car just came at high speed from a nearby bend. She saw his body fly over a distance before landing with a loud thud. Things happened too fast at a really small distance away from her she only digested the things happening after the car did a u-turn. She whipped out her phone shakily and dialed for the ambulance. Plodding towards the crowd which already formed in just one minute, her eyes turned red from not blinking. She shoved through the crowd and knelt down next to Kwill's body while everyone started buzzing with the presence of his famous wife. She wanted to help him out and tried to touch him but she couldn't since she wasn't a professional. She yelled for medical help from the people crowding over them but they didn't give her any response except being occupied taking pictures of the celebrity couple.

 

...

 

She waited outside the operation room, distressed. There was nothing she could do but to pray as she waits for the doctors to come out of the room.

 

...

 

Lizzy and her mom rushed through the crowd of reporters and the public at the entrance and headed for the floor Kwill's at. Upon seeing Ga-in sitting along a wall, they ran towards her.

 

Meanwhile, the doctors made their appearances again. The three immediately stood up, hoping for a favourable answer.

 

"The operation was successful. However, he's out of critical situation for the time being but still in coma. As for further diagnosis, we will have to wait for other check ups." The answer managed to give them some relief even though it couldn't completely. He might go back to the critical state anytime, keeping his family members on tenterhooks. However, Ga-in wasn't relieved by the doctor's statement yet. "What if he goes back to critical state again? What if he dies? I still haven't tell you what you wished to hear..." She thought.

 

As soon as Kwill was wheeled out of the operation room to the ICU ward, they ran towards his portable bed and walked along with it as they stared as Kwill's pale sickly face. Ga-in couldn't hold her emotions any longer upon the depressing sight and she quickly let go of the bed, leaving them to calm herself down in a corner.

 

...

 

"Hyungsoo-ah... wake up now... Don't you want to hear me tell you that I've regained my memories?" She said to her that evening, much calmer now. Her words shocked the other two across the room.

 

"Unnie? What did you just say? What do you mean?" Lizzy asked in confusion. The aunt looked at her with her still red eyes. "Gain-ah? You remember me?"

 

Ga-in looked up to meet their stares and nodded with a slight smile.

 

As glad as they were about the news, it was dampened by Kwill's condition. The aunt then went over to her side and hugged her, as if comforting Ga-in for what she had gone through throughout the long, emotionally burdensome day. Ga-in let her tears flow out without holding it back with the warm touch of someone nostalgic to her.

 

...

 

Kwon made his way to the hospital upon learning about Kwill's life-threatening accident from the news. He couldn't get through Ga-in's phone so he confirmed their whereabouts through Lizzy.

 

He got there to see Kwill's aunt outside the ICU ward. "Go in, please. They can still allow another person to enter in." With that, he put on the ICU visitor coat and entered the ward.

 

"Oppa?" Lizzy mumbled, still sobbing when she saw Kwon. He then turned to look at Ga-in whose head still laid on the bed next to Kwill's body. He wanted very much to go over to her to comfort her but he couldn't be so insensitive to Lizzy's feelings. The other way round and he'll hurt Ga-in's feelings. He was lost, not knowing who to talk to so he went out to get each one a drink.

 

Soon, Lizzy and her mum went home for the night. Ga-in, who didn't feel like leaving yet, stayed a little longer until the latest the visiting hours could allow since she will be alone at home. Jokwon stayed as well since he will have to fetch her home then. As Lizzy left the ward, she glanced over Kwon who was still staring at Ga-in. She was jealous but she was more bothered by her cousin's state and she knew Ga-in needed some comfort as well while she had her mom.

 

Kwon lightly sat on the chair next to her. His hands hover about her shoulders, wanting to comfort her with his touch but before he could do that, she sat up straight.

 

"Kwon-ah, you should go home. I won't be going home for the night so there's no use staying here waiting for me. I appreciate your help. Thank you." She mumbled, her voice seemingly without life.

 

"You should go home. There's work tomorrow. You need some rest. " He replied, looking at her tired, listless eyes.

 

She shook her head and then she rested her head on the bed again. Not because she's tired, rather, she's trying to hide her dripping tears instinctively in the presence of someone else. This time, he could hear her whimper.

 

"Gain-ah... Are you okay?" He asked, leaning forward to peep at her face. The question made her whimper even more. "Noona, don't hide your troubles. Share them with me if you don't mind." He gave her the assurance.

 

"Kwon-ah!" She threw herself at him, her arms over his back. Her tears and snot landed on Kwon's shirt but he didn't mind.

 

...

 

"I already recovered my memories, Kwon-ah." She told him when she calmed down. "That explains why she's so devastated by Kwill's accident." He thought. "I... was about to tell him the truth earlier  this afternoon but the accident happened so unexpectedly."

 

"What I am feeling right now... must have been the same for Hyungsoo back then... but he was so much younger than I am now. How did he handle my accident back then?" She reflected. "If only I didn't ask appa to bring omma and me to the beach, the accident wouldn't have occurred. My parents wouldn't have died, I wouldn't have lost my memories for nearly 19 years, my life wouldn't have changed so much, me and oppa wouldn't have been seperated, there'll be no reason for me to bring him out to reveal my recovery and he wouldn't have been like this! Babo me! Why didn't I just reveal this yesterday over dinner? I caused my parent's death and now Hyungsoo-oppa... "

 

He wanted very much to tell her that she wouldn't have met Kwon then but it would be extremely insensitive to Ga-in who lost her parents because of the accident. A blessing in disguise may sound really comforting and nice in the ears of others but for her, it wouldn't be pleasant at all.

 

...

 

Kwon stayed with her for the night to keep her company. They went to the hospital canteen for breakfast but they were interrupted by the crowd of reporters who waited for her arrival in the morning. Kwon quickly shielded her from the violent crowd who demanded interviews with her and both ran back into the ICU ward for shelter. Turns out that the video clips and pictures taken at the accident scene had been trending on the web and the media have been making a field day out of the couple again.

 

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Was it that hard to guess??? Mianhae^^ Sounds mean but are you glad Kwill is out of the way now? About 8 more chapters left to the ending.

 

SPOILER:

continuation of this chapter