Reunited

Forget Me Not

1st March 2014, Saturday

 

Her heartbeat accelerated as she waited apprehensively for Kwon’s arrival anytime soon. It’s been 2 months since their last meeting. Although she knew avoiding him her entire life is not the best solution, she can’t help but dread this meeting. “Unnie, it’s your fault!” She mentally blamed Narsha.

 

It’s the wedding day between Narsha and Changmin that day. They abruptly decided to get married all for the significance of 1/3/14. In Chinese, the date sounded similar to yishengyishi which means eternity. Changmin is a believer in such things so that explains the abrupt wedding.

 

It would be rude for either Kwon or Ga-in to not turn up just because of their strained relationship so both had to go in respect for the newlyweds. Narsha did not help Ga-in on that. In fact, she gave her no options when she told Ga-in to be her bridesmaid with Kwon as the groomsmen at the very last minute.

 

“You can’t say no, Gain-ah! It’s less than one week away! How do you want me to find someone else now?!”

 

“JeA unnie? Miryo unnie?” She quickly thought of suggestions so she could get away from the burden. Not that she didn’t want to be the maid of honour of her beloved unnie but rather, she didn’t want to be paired with Kwon who’s the best man.

 

“They refused. That’s why I’m asking you,” she lied.

 

“Or at least change the best man, please?” She begged, knowing how crazy her request is given that Kwon had already rehearsed way before then and someone else would have to replace him and rush through the rehearsal all because of her.

 

“Just do me a favour, Gain-ah?”

 

 

“Asked JeA unnie and Miryo unnie and they refused?! Cheh! They definitely collaborated and bullied me like this!” She muttered in frustration, fighting the urge to stomp her foot indignantly. “Can a married woman even be a bridesmaid?”

 

“Why not?”

 

The voice gave her a shock. She turned around to see Kwon decked in a suit, looking exceptionally good-looking and charming today.

 

“Married bridesmaid can be Matron of honour while the single bridemaid will be Maid of honour. But I’m very sure your marriage was never consummated so you are still a maiden. Either way, marital status is not regarded at all. Don’t worry.” He continued boldly.

 

What he said scared her a little. Why wasn’t he feeling awkward like she is? Why did he seem so confident and bold in talking to her after their last meeting? What’s wrong with him?

 

“Kwon-ah! That’s too much!” Seulong thought as he spied on the two from a distance with his girlfriend.

 

“Are you sure this will work? Gainnie seemed even more awkward than she already is. What kind of stupid advice did you give to Joseobang?” JeA nagged.

 

“Ya! I told him to talk to her in a very comfortable and confident manner, acting as if nothing happened. She will feel less awkward if Kwon acts ignorant but he’s making it worse by going overboard!”

 

“I’ll go and see what Narsha unnie needs for now,” she gave an excuse to leave him.

 

Seulong signalled his dongsaeng to come over. “Seriously? Consummation? Are you making the atmosphere comfortable or even more awkward than it is for her?”

 

“But that’s how Ga-in and I talk before,” He tried to reason.

 

“Don’t forget now you are strained lovers, not the best friends you were. Yes I told you to speak comfortably like friends but consummation is not the appropriate topic you should be talking about to her! Are you trying to be funny or what? Ga-in is not laughing so your ‘joke’ failed badly!” Seulong began to yell at Kwon.

 

 

The two of them and friends ushered the guests in and seated them at their places. They were also the time keepers and going in between places to inform the guests and the newlywed when to do what depending on the situation. Despite their hectic schedule, they had to calm down the frantic bride. After all, it’s her big day and everything can be nerve-wrecking to her and Changmin. Being friends, it’s their job to give the couple their moral support. All that crisis management managed to make Ga-in and Kwon forget about their strained relationship and work together cohesively.

 

 

The wedding ceremony ended and the guests walked out of the church for the throwing of the bouquet. All the single ladies stood outside at the entrance, waiting for the bride to stand before them. JeA strategised and stood at the back where it’s spacious enough to run about, knowing the bouquet will never land near the front.

 

With much strength, Narsha threw the bouquet backwards, praying hard that her best friend JeA will catch it, a sign she will be the next to be married.

 

JeA’s eyes followed the bouquet and she sprinted to where the bouquet went but it never landed on her arms.

 

“Gain-ah…”

 

All eyes are now on Ga-in and the bouquet she’s holding. Everyone started muttering in bewilderment. “Isn’t she already married?” was one comment Ga-in heard from the buzzing crowd.

 

Disappointment was JeA. She thought her turn will be soon. She was confident it will be soon she will tie the knot with Seulong. Ga-in is already married and the bouquet is wasted on her.

 

JeA walked back to Seulong with a frown and heavy footsteps. She then hit Seulong hard on the chest. “It’s all your fault! You jobless jerk! I know you are young but your girlfriend is getting old already. Spare a thought for me!” Seulong tried to block her punches and kicks but to no avail.

 

“STOP! Wh… Why would a married would a married woman catch the bouquet? This obviously means this bouquet throwing thing is just a myth! It doesn’t foretell the future, honey.” He explained to her as he got a grip on her shoulders.

 

“Babo Ong! That means Ga-in noona will divorce Kwill and get married to Kwon hyung soon! That should be something to be happy about!”

 

Ga-in heard that from a distance and unknowingly, she smiled coyly at the thought, only to be caught by Kwon. Shy, she quickly walked away to the waiting room to avoid him.

 

 

Dusk fell and it’s then Narsha and Changmin’s wedding dinner. Ga-in helped out at the wedding reception table while Kwon ran some errands. It was lucky for her not having to work with him then due to the awkwardness but it wouldn’t last long since the dinner will start real soon with nearly all the guests seated already.

 

She went into the hall after all the guests have arrived. As she made her way to the VIP table where she’s allocated to, she sees Kwon there, already done with his errands and seated. Next to him on the right are the only 2 empty seats of the table and then JeA and Miryo followed. Of course, she sat next to JeA, not wanting to sit next to Kwon.

 

“Son Ga-in! Get away from this seat! Seulong is sitting here!” She chased her dongsaeng away.

 

“Unnie, don’t do this to me,” She whispered. Her unnie did not relent. “How about you and Seulong move one seat to your left and then I sit between you and Miryo? Please?”

 

Just then, the lights are off, leaving only the front lights near the stage switched on. Seulong returned from the loo and quickly took his seat. Not wanting to make a ruckus over seats, she reluctantly sat beside Kwon.

 

Kwon was of course thrilled that he’s next to Ga-in but he doesn’t show it on his face. He tried not to show how affected he was that he’s this close to her but throughout the ceremony, somehow, their legs keep touching. He was pleased and excited but tries really hard not to blush or smile widely like a fool. All Ga-in felt was awkwardness and uneasiness with the physical closeness between her and Kwon. They spoke nothing to each other, appearing as if the other wasn’t there but the other party was always in their minds.

 

 

Everything was packed up and guests were gone. It was time to go home but Kwon told Miryo to fetch their parents home that night for he had something important to do. As the others head towards the carpark, Kwon made his way to the ladies washroom and waited for Ga-in to come out. Every time he heard foot steps, his body tensed up and prepares to catch her anytime. But Ga-in didn’t appear even after 10 minutes. “Is she having a tummy ache? Is she even still in there?”

 

The next footsteps heard, he smelt the distinct perfume Ga-in was wearing earlier. He got prepared and in good timing, he grabbed her hand harshly even before she notices him and pulled her into the lift, heading for rooftop. She struggled to get away from his strong grip but to no avail. Her wrists felt some pain and her hands and wrists were redder by the minute.

 

As they stepped out of the lift, she swung his wrist off and massaged her wrist. “What’s wrong with you?!” She yelled, mad at his harsh behaviour. He sees the red marks left on her wrist and apologised. “I didn’t mean to. Sorry.”

 

“Why did you bring me here for?” She asked, knowing exactly what he’s trying to do but oddly, she didn’t want to go back even when she’s now free from his grip.

 

“I…” He tried to start but he didn’t know what to say since he’s all nervous and hadn’t prepared what to say yet. Her eyebrows rose, listening for every sound he’s making.

 

Maybe actions speak louder than words?

 

He ran towards her and encircled her into a hug. He was waiting for struggles from Ga-in but all she did was just flinch a little. They stayed like that for about a minute before Kwon pulled away. Looking at her now teary eyes, he felt truly sorry for what he did to her. He couldn’t understand how he hurt her when all he did was for her sake but now he understood clearly.

 

“Gain-ah, I’m sorry. I know apologies can’t do anything now but I promise I’ll make up for it in future… if you give me a chance to,” He begged, not really expecting a definite yes right away.

 

She wanted to forgive him. She wanted to live her life with aside him. She understands she needed to give him time for him to understand what she is and what she wants. She had no reason to be angry at him at all. Maybe she’s immature because her indignance hindered that from happening. She knew Kwon wouldn’t give up so easily anyway. She just didn’t want to forgive him this easily after indirectly changing her life and having her go through the bad times by herself.

 

“I know I don’t understand you enough. I didn’t give you what you truly want. But give me time to truly understand you, please?”

 

Now, all that indignance is rid off. She started tearing, touched by these mere sentences but to her, powerful enough.

 

Upon seeing her cry, he didn’t know why and how to respond. Was she reminded of the past or was she touched? The uncertainty was a torture to him. She didn’t smile or show signs of happiness…

 

“Don’t cry! Why are you crying again? You’re making me feel guilty again,” He softly told her as his hand hesitantly moved to her back to soothe her, thinking she might push him away if he did that.

 

Ga-in wanted to tell him all is well and he is forgiven but the words can’t come out of for she is sobbing really hard, not even able to catch her breath. She nodded in an attempt to tell him the good news but he was oblivious to what that meant.

 

“Y…you *hick*” She struggled to speak with her hiccups.

 

“What me?” He noticed that she was struggling with telling him something. She took a deep breath before continuing.

 

“F…Fo *hick*” With her blurry vision, she could see Kwon frown, not understanding what she said with her shaky voice.

 

Maybe actions speak louder than words?

 

She clung herself to him like a lifeline and connected her lips to his in one swift movement. His eyes widened in shock. What did she do?!

 

The heat from her red cheeks from all that crying was transferred to Kwon’s face, making the kiss even cosier. With that warmth, he relaxed and closed his eyes, indulging in the euphoric kiss he had been waiting for. He placed his hands on her back gently with their lips moving in sync. The intensity of the kiss was enough to make both of them dizzy. Drunk from the kiss, both of them didn’t want to wake up from this beautiful dream. He could feel from her lips and her heartbeat…

 

Love. He’s forgiven.

 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

Ta-da! Please comment please? It’s the chapter you all waited for~