New Friends (?), Missing Bracelet, Fire

No Other

 

“It can’t be!” Joohyun shouted, slumping down in the seat next to Bom at the cafeteria. She sounded like a character in a dramatic play who just found out an inconvenient truth about herself. “I won’t accept this!!” She ruffled her hair in frustration.

Daesung, Seungri and Bom raised their brows at Joohyun before turning to Dara, who also sat in the other side of Bom, with a look of curiosity on their faces. Jiyong said nothing and continued eating his food, his expression was unreadable.

Daesung leaned forward and whispered to Dara, “What’s wrong with her?”

“She was perfectly fine this morning.” Bom added, making a quick nod toward Joohyun –who seemed to be lost in her own world, shaking her head every now and then.

“I’m not entirely sure…” Dara answered slowly, “but she was like that ever since our homeroom teacher reminded us this morning that the exams will be next week.”

Daesung let out an ‘ahh’ while Bom and Seungri froze, dropping their spoon and fork, then said loudly in unison, “NEXT WEEK?!”

Joohyun glowered darkly at the two. She need not be reminded of it again. It was the week they every students in the whole world dreaded the most.

“It wasn’t announced in your class?” Dara asked, a bit surprised, noticing the reaction of Bom and Seungri.

“It wasn’t.” Daesung responded. “But I was already aware of it. I mean, we all should be, right? We are students after all.” He gave Bom and Seungri a look which made them lower their heads.

Joohyun huffed. “It doesn’t matter to you because your grades are at the top.”

Seungri quickly looked up, and added, “You’re one of the top 5 students so you don’t have to worry about anything at all!” Then he turned to Dara, “Also Dara!”

Daesung nodded knowingly and his chin thoughtfully. He then said, “Yes, we are. Out of about sixty 2nd year students, I’m ranked 3rd in academics while Dara’s in 5th-“

“We know, we know! Don’t rub it in!” Joohyun said through gritted teeth.

But Daesung ignored her and continued, “-Bom’s in 26th place, Joohyun’s in 47th, Seungri’s in 54th and Jiyong…” He hesitated but decided to continue when he saw Jiyong was still calmly eating his food, “…44th.”

 “44th?!” A laugh escaped from Seungri’s lips. He patted Jiyong at the back happily saying, “You’re just as stupid as I am!”

Jiyong’s eyebrow twitched slightly. “Don’t compare me to you. You’re 10 places away from me. And why the hell are you saying that you’re stupid so proudly? Don’t you have any shame?”

Daesung sighed with disappointment. “I can’t believe Dara and I are surrounded by idiots.”

All four of them glared at him.

“HEY! What did you say?! Do you want to be surrounded by my fists?!” Joohyun growled, showing her clenched fists.

Daesung ignored her again and looked at Dara wearing his eye smile. “Why don’t we look for another group of friends? You know… those at our level?”

Dara’s brown eyes widened slightly. “But I-“

SMACK!

“Ow!” Daesung looked up to see Jiyong.

He scowled at him. “There’s more where that came from so if I were you, I’d shut up.”

A smirked formed on Daesung’s lips then he chortled. “You don’t have to be so angry, Ji. It was just a joke. Don’t worry! I won’t ever take Dara away from you!”

Jiyong stiffened at this comment and everyone stared at Daesung utterly shocked. Realizing that he’s said too much, Daesung stood up from his seat almost immediately. “Oh, wait. Did I just hear someone calling me? Ah, yes. I think I did! I’ll see you guys later then!” Taking a last sip at his soda, Daesung quickly ran out of the cafeteria without even looking back.

**

Dara was in the school library to get books that she was suggested by some of her teachers for their upcoming exam the week after. She wasn’t getting it for herself –but for Joohyun and Bom. She already had several books in her hand. Looking at her list, only one book was left. Then, she was reaching up for the last book of the high shelf, tip toed, when she bumped the shelf making her drop the books she was carrying. Good thing that there weren’t a lot of students in the library at that time because they would’ve probably scolded her at the loud noise the books made when they struck on the floor. Immediately, Dara bent down to pick up the books.

“Do you need any help?”

Dara glanced up to see a very cute girl smiling down at her. She assumed that she was a 1st year student. Before Dara could reply, the girl let out a small gasp, “You’re Sandara Park sunbaenim!”

Dara blinked at her before nodding slowly. “Yes, I am.”

The girl smiled cheekily and said, “I’m Choi Jinri but you can just call me Sulli! I can’t believe it! I’m actually talking to you!” She quickly bent down to help Dara with her books.

After successfully gathering the books, they both stood up. The girl, who just introduced herself as Sulli, still had a cheeky smile on her face.

“Thank you,” Dara said, returning the smile. “But, how did you-“

“Know your name?” she continued for her. “Don’t be silly! Everyone knows your name!”

“That’s not true.” Dara said in her soft, gentle voice.

“It is! Everyone really likes you. Well… I like you!”

“What? Why?” Dara stared at her. “But I don’t think I’ve done anything to be liked.”

Sulli laughed lightly. “You’re so humble. Maybe that’s why you’re popular.” Before Dara could even reply, Sulli clasped her hands together then pointed to the bracelet on Dara’s wrist. “It’s so pretty! Where’d you get it?”

A smile spread across Dara’s face almost immediately. “Thank you. It’s from my mother.”

“Are you going stay here all day or what?” came an impatient voice. Dara looked behind her to see Jiyong standing next to a shelf with his arms folded across his chest. Joohyun wasn’t able to accompany her because of her volleyball practice, Bom have voice lessons with Daesung, and Seungri… well, he just went home right away. Since Jiyong promised her that he’ll walk home together with her, he had no choice but to wait for her. Then, Jiyong saw the girl standing behind Dara. He looked at her lazily. Their eyes met. A faint blush appeared on Sulli’s cheeks. Jiyong broke the contact, his gaze going back to Dara.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” she said apologetically to him then turned to Sulli. “I have to go now, Sulli. Thanks for your help, really!”

“No problem,” Sulli replied before waving as she left.

Dara was breathing heavily as she and Jiyong made their way to the counter to check out the books. Annoyed, Jiyong grabbed the books from Dara muttering incoherent words under his breath. All of them. Dara tried to get them back but Jiyong would push her away with his elbow. Eventually, she gave up and let him carry the books all the way to the counter.

The books were placed in a paper bag. Dara was about to take it but Jiyong beat her to it. “What do you think are you doing?”

A nervous feeling crept up to her with the way Jiyong was looking at her with his glazed eyes. “Uhh… I’m bringing it home…?” she said unsure.

He snorted. “Are you stupid? I’m sure by the time you reach your apartment, you’ll only be one step away from death.” He took the paper bag and headed out. Dara pouted her lips before she hurriedly followed him.

A pair of eyes was glaring at the retreating figure of the girl. “They’re together again! Why?!” a voice muttered furiously.

“When are we going to make our move?” Another voice asked. “We didn’t even move from the starting line yet. There’s no way we’ll be able to catch up with someone who’s almost in the finish line.”

“’Almost in the finish line’ you say?” She sniggered. Then, a sly smile formed on her lips. “No. The race is just about to begin. And as soon as it does, we’ll already be half-through the race.”

**

“I’m so excited!” Joohyun exclaimed as they walked through the girls’ locker room door. Joohyun couldn’t hide her excitement when their PE teacher told them that they will be playing volleyball –temporarily forgetting about that announcement yesterday about the exams next week. Joohyun may not be academically talented but she was talented in sports –her specialty was volleyball.

Dara keyed the codes and opened her locker and took out her PE clothes –yellow loose t-shirt and black jogging pants. Knowing that they were about to play volleyball, Dara removed her bracelet and placed it inside her locker with her uniform and the rest of her things. She was putting her t-shirt on when someone approached.

“Sunbaenim!”

Dara pulled her shirt down to see Sulli with a girl beside her. Joohyun raised her brow at them, wondering who they are.

“Hi!” Dara greeted with her bright eyes and warm smile. “Are you having your PE here too?” she asked as she saw them wearing their PE clothes, which is similar to theirs but only different in shirt color –theirs was green, indicating that they’re 1st years.

“Our class will be using the field,” Sulli answered, and then she grinned. “This is my classmate –Ahn Sohee.” She introduced, putting an arm over her friend’s shoulder. “She said she wanted to meet you!”

Dara’s face lit up. “Really?”

Sohee nodded shyly. “Y-yes. I’ve b-been w-wanting to m-meet you!” she stammered. “I really l-like you!”

Dara laughed heartily. “Thank you!”

Just then, they heard someone clear . They looked at the source to see Joohyun, her hands on her hips. “Sorry to break it to you 1st years, but sunbaenim and I still have PE class so if you’ll excuse me-“

Joohyun pulled Dara, who waved at the two (they waved back), inside the gym –both were unaware that Dara’s locker was left slightly opened. Everyone, but them, was already there, about to start. Joohyun was mumbling to herself about how the two 1st years almost made her miss the first match. Dara played a bit but was asked to seat for the rest of the class. Dara was the opposite of Joohyun. She was academically talented but definitely talentless when it comes to sports. She would only injure herself if she forces herself on playing. Even their PE teacher knows about it.

After PE, their class was headed to their classroom for their next subject –they were all back to their school uniform. Dara handed Joohyun a bottled of water. Just then, she noticed something was missing.

 “Where’s your bracelet, Dara?” Joohyun asked, curiously.

She glanced down at her wrist, expecting to see it there. A look of shock spread across her face when she didn’t.

“I must have left it at the locker room.” Dare started jogging her way back to the locker room.

“Wait! I’ll go wi-“

Dara shook her head and smiled brightly at Joohyun over her shoulder, “No, it’s fine. Go to class.”

Joohyun was hesitant, but nodded.

Dara entered the dark locker room. She switched on the lights to reveal an empty and a very quiet locker room. No one, but her, was there. They were the last class to use the locker for that day. Dara walked hastily her locker only to find it empty. She gasped. She was already in the verge of panic but quickly telling herself that she must remain calm.

Maybe it’s in my bag… Dara thought to herself, deciding that it was time to go back to class. But deep inside her, she knew that it wasn’t in her bag because she could clearly remember about putting it inside her locker but doesn’t remember putting it back. She shook her head at her thoughts. No, it’s there. If not, then where could it possibly be? She ran back to the room.

Their Math teacher was a bit surprised that she was late but let her off easy since it was a first time. Dara and Joohyun’s eyes met briefly. Joohyun’s eyes held a question. It seemed as if she was asking if she found her bracelet. Dara knew that Joohyun would be worried if she said she didn’t find it so she let out a forced smile and nodded -her left hand over her right to cover her empty wrist.

Dara looked through her bag, removing almost all of her things. She was desperately trying to look for her bracelet. It wasn’t there. After a few minutes, Dara was tapping her feet impatiently –wanting to look through her bag again, hoping that she just missed a pocket or two. Half-way through the class, a loud and alarming sound suddenly broke out through the whole school. Everyone jumped from their seats, asking if it was a fire drill.

“This is no fire drill. Everyone, please exit the building. Please remain call. Teachers and staff, guide all students out of the building. I repeat this is no fire drill-” announced from the speakers.

Just then, most of the students had panicky look on their faces while some even looked excited. The teachers announced to everyone to leave their things behind to those who were still attempting to take their things explaining that life is more important than material things. Dara glanced at her bag before exiting the room with her classmates.

All of the students and staff filled both entrance of the school grounds and the field. It was very crowded. As soon as they were out of the building, Joohyun and Dara were able to meet up with Bom, Jiyong, Daesung and Seungri.

“Are you two okay?” Bom asked, worry was all over her face.”It was just your PE class just a while ago, right? Good thing that you weren’t there when the fire happened!”

“What?” Joohyun and Dara asked in unison, bewildered.

“You didn’t know? The fire alarm that went off was in the girls’ locker room.” Daesung said.

Joohyun gasped loudly and then she turned to Dara. “You were just there, right?”

Dara nodded.

“Alone? You went there alone?” Jiyong suddenly asked, his was voice serious and edgy.

They all turned to Jiyong.

“Yeah… I went there to look for something…” Dara answered slowly.

“What were you looking for?”

Before Dara could answer, the teachers announced to all students that they may go back to their respective classrooms to take their belongings and then go home. Almost everyone rejoiced and even thanked the fire that they earned an early dismissal.

Dara was gathering her things and putting it all in her bag when a teacher called for her saying that the principal would like to have a word with her at his office. Joohyun looked at Dara worriedly. She walked slowly into the office to see a man sitting behind the desk, his hands folded. Standing before him was a student whom Dara had never seen before –Dara guessed she was a 3rd year because if she was a 2nd year, she would’ve known her and she looks quite old to be a 1st year. The student threw a dark look on Dara –earning her a curious look from the latter. None of them spoke. The principal was looking intently at Dara.

And then, as if she couldn’t contain it anymore, the 3rd year student broke the silence. “It was her! I'm sure of it! I saw her running out of the room!” She said, almost shouting, pointing at Dara. "She was the one who did it!"

Confusion etched on Dara’s features almost immediately. "What?"

---

A/N Aigoo. Who is it, who is it?? Lotsa new characters for this one chappie huh? Sulli, Sohee and another student? Kkk. I like mystery~ I really have fun reading your guesses on what will happened and such. Now- who do you think is the one out to get the Dara? xD Til chapter 10! :-h

HI TO NEW SUBSCRIBERS AND NEW READERS! *happy* TvT HI TO EVERYONE AND THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING! lol

*sunbaenim -  means “senior” and is often used with the suffix “nim” which makes it polite

*JOOHYUN (many readers seem to make a mistake on Joohyun's gender lmao hope it's not too late for me to make it clear) - Joohyun is GIRL and I intend to make her stay that way until the end of the story. Haha :> She's actually SEOHYUN from SNSD (her real name's Seo Joohyun). Hope Joohyun's gender issues are cleared up LOL ^^