Ice Cream & A Warning

No Other

Jiyong, pulling Dara behind him, hurriedly stepped over the grass unto the street before anyone could call them back. After Dara arrived, watchers who were mostly girls began to arrive. They kept giggling and cheering as they practice, much to the team’s (minus Jiyong) delight. Most of the girls were screaming Jiyong’s name to which he responded indifferently.

Jiyong let go of Dara’s wrist as soon as they were far enough from the field.

“Jiyong sure has a lot of fans,” Dara said, letting out a light chuckle.

“As if you don’t,” he whispered quietly to himself.

Dara, who didn’t hear Jiyong’s comment, continued in her usual cheerful tone of voice, “They really like you!”

“They don’t like me,” he immediately said. Dara appeared to be confused so he continued, “It’s not me they like. It’s….” His steps started to slow down, so was his way of speaking, “what they see.”

Jiyong’s expressionless face change to sadness, as if remembering something sad. But it was only for a second because he quickly changed back to being expressionless before Dara could see it. Dara wanted to ask him what he meant by what he said but she wasn’t able to do so because Chaerin came up to them, looking irritated but trying her best to hide it.

“Hi, Oppa!” She greeted Jiyong excitedly, then turned to Dara with an obvious-forced happy tone,“…and Sandara.”

Being oblivious to this, Dara greeted back innocently, “Hi, Chaerin!”

“What are you doing here?” Jiyong asked her, without enthusiasm. It was only then that they realized that they have already arrived in front of their apartment building

She instantly wrapped her arms around Jiyong’s. “I missed you! I have the right to see my fiancé, right?”

Jiyong wanted to pull his arm from Chaerin’s grasp but he knew she would only throw tantrums if he did. He was already too tired from his soccer practice to deal with that so he decided against it. He could only heave a frustrated sigh.

“Oh my!” Dara gasped, one hand flying to .

“What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked with a note of concern. “What happened?”

She flashed him one of her sweetest smiles. “It’s nothing big. It’s just that I went to the jewellery shop the other day to buy a box for my bracelet and my necklace... and then they offered to clean the bracelet and necklace for me and asked me to get it after a few minutes but I said I’d just go back the next day, but I completely forgot about it until now!” She hit herself softly on her forehead. “So, I’ll go to get it now… I'll see you two-”

“I’ll go with you,” Jiyong said, earning him a shocked look from Chaerin.

Dara shook her head. “It’s okay, I can-“

“Don’t talk,” He cut her off. He pried Chaerin’s arms off of him and then grabbed Dara’s hand.

“Oppa!” called by an upset Chaerin.

“Why don’t you go back to the mansion, Chaerin?” It wasn’t a suggestion, it was more like an order Chaerin can’t disobey and it annoyed her more than ever. “I’ll go there later,” Jiyong added.

It was apparent from her face that she was really upset but the latter statement calmed her down a bit.

Jiyong saw the worried look on Dara’s face. “She’ll be fine. She has a driver to take her back to where she came from.”

Dara wasn’t sure of what to say. Instead, she just nodded in understanding.

 

 

Jiyong and Dara were sitting by the fountain in the park nearby the jewellery shop they came from as the latter took out two boxes from the paper bag. One box was longer in size than the other. She opened the shorter one first which revealed the heart charm bracelet she received from her mother. It was sparkling clean. The sight of it immediately brought a huge smile on her face.

Jiyong rolled his eyes at her. “Just how many times are you planning to keep on opening and closing it? It’s not going to multiply no matter how many times you open it, you know,” he informed her impatiently.

Dara was repeatingly opening and closing the box and awe expression on her face was present every time she does it. She laughed at her own silliness. “It’s just so clean! I mean, I know how to clean it but no matter how I do it, it’s never as clean as this! It’s as good as new!” she said, obviously still amazed. “Don’t tell me you’re not amazed by this!”

“I’m not,” he said simply. “Tch. Tell me, did I accompany a kid?”

Pretending she didn’t hear him, Dara took the longer box then opened it revealing a silver necklace with a pendant letter D. Again, just like the bracelet, she stared at the necklace in awe. For the nth time.

“Look, Park-“

Suddenly, Dara stood up, not allowing for Jiyong to continue what he was about to say. “Hold this, Jiyong.” She closed the box and then handed it to Jiyong along with the paperbag. “I’ll be back!”

“Hey! Where are you going!” Jiyong called out to her but she just jogged away from him. He was beginning to regret accompanying her now. Seriously, she’s a kid!

He shook his head as he thought about her childishness. He then paused to examine the box that contained the necklace. He slowly opened it. Its pendant showed his reflection.

How come I never saw her wear this?

His eyes narrowed in curiosity at it. His hand reached out to touch it. Just as it was an inch away from the necklace, he heard Dara’s voice calling out to him which startled him and caused him to shut the box in a hurry which resulted in his finger getting hurt.

“Ouch,” he grunted, before placing the box inside the paper bag,

“Oh, my! Are you okay, Jiyong? Did you hurt yourself?” Dara asked worriedly, appearing in front of him.

“Just fine,” he said looking up at her to see her holding an ice cream cone in each hand, “What are you holding?”

“Ice cream,” she said matter-of-factly.

Jiyong glared at her. “I know what it is! I meant, for what?”

She stared at him as if it was supposed to be obvious, “for us to eat.”

“I don’t want it,” he firmly said.

Dara shook her head. “No! You have to! Take it as my thanks for accompanying me!”

“Do you think I accompanied you just because I felt like it?” She just blinked at him so he went on, “Don’t be stupid. It’s for what you brought this morning, so you don't have to thank me for anything.”

“Ah,” she said, and a moment afterwards, “Then take it as a thank you for being thanked!” She was grinning now.

Jiyong gave her an incredulous look.

Dara saw this and knew it was a still a no. She let out a nervous chuckle saying, “How about as my way of saying welcome then?”

“No,” he answered almost immediately.

She pouted as she heard this.  Her eyes widened when she saw the ice cream was starting to melt. “Then how about-“

Jiyong realized that she won’t give up. That was the kind of girl she is. He eventually gave in, growling at her, “Fine!” He extended his arm with an open palm, “Just give it to me.”

Dara’s face lit up. “Which one do you like? Vanilla, or chocolate?”

Jiyong was seriously becoming impatient now and said in gritted teeth, “Vanilla.”

Dara handed him the vanilla ice cream enthusiastically, “Thank goodness you like vanilla! Chocolate’s my favourite, although I don’t think vanilla is bad. I’m going to remember that you like vanilla.”

“Ugh, can’t you just eat quietly?” He glared at her before standing up and walking away, the paper bag still in his hand.

“Sorry, sir! Yes, sir!” Dara saluted him with her free hand and then laughed at herself before quickly following him.

 

 

Dara was watching quietly in her apartment when she heard her phone ring. She reached for her bag and began digging through it to find her phone. “Who could it be?” she asked herself.

The caller was an unsaved number in her phone.

“Hello?” she answered kindly.

“This is Chaerin,” the person in the other line introduced rudely.

“Chaerin?” Dara echoed.

“You better listen to me, Sandara Park,” Chaerin mentioned her name in disgust. “If you want to continue living with a peaceful life, you better listen to what I’m about to say.”

Her tone was very serious that it made Dara speechless. She could tell that she was very furious. About what? Dara did not know, but she was about to find out.

Chaerin went on, “Stay away from Jiyong oppa.”

“I’m sorry?” Dara managed to breathe out.

 “You heard me,” she said in the same tone of voice, “you better stay away from him if you know what’s good for you.”

Dara still did not understand what Chaerin was trying to say. She did not know why she had to stay away from Jiyong. “I don’t understand... Did something happen? Are you okay-”

She cut her off, “Don’t act innocent with me!” She barked. “Don’t steal someone’s fiancé! I’m not going to forgive you. Stop acting close to him!”

“But I’m not-“ Dara tried to speak but Chaerin, again, interrupted her.

“Don’t think I won’t do anything. I’m willing to do anything to keep anyone and anything from destroying our relationship! This is a warning, Sandara Park.”

With that, she hung up.

...leaving a perplexed and disquieted Dara. 

 

**

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL! Thanks for supporting my fic despite my slow updates. One of my new year's resolutions is to update more often. Hahaha! ;P Lez be good this 2012, okay? Keep being a blessing to everyone and lez keep supporting our YG oppas and unnies! :) :)

......and because it's been a while since I've updated again (SORRYYYY~), here's a preview for the upcoming chapter (most probably haha)! ENJOY~ =))

Preview:

Tears started forming in Dara's eyes. “I-I’m sorry. I just didn’t want to-“

“Don’t talk. I don’t want to hear it,” Jiyong spat in gritted teeth, cutting her off. “You’re so-called principles are always getting you into trouble. You don’t even think about those who are around you. I really don’t want to bother with you anymore. Heck, I don’t even know why I’m putting up with you and your stupidity. You’re such a burden.”