The Key

No Other

The little me was very happy that my mother was finally taking me to the park. I imagined myself walking with her in the park, eating ice cream together, playing happily with her. Just the thought of it makes my heart race with happiness. Suddenly, there was a loud screech. My head automatically turned to the direction of the sound. A large truck was coming right at us. I saw the look of panic in my mother's face as she tried to turn car to the side to avoid it but it all happened so fast. Then there it was...  A very loud piercing scream. Was it mine? Or was it mom's?


My eyes snapped open, only to be greeted by the dark ceiling. The dream... Why is it that dream again? I closed my eyes to try to go back to sleep. But to no avail. I sat up, breathing hard. I looked at the window to see faint light coming through the curtains from outside. The clock read 7:45am. It was still too early but since I couldn't sleep, I decided to go to the kitchen. I searched the refrigerator for food but unfortunately, there was none. I sighed. Didn't I just buy food the other night?

Suddenly, there was a knock on my door. I walked towards it and looked through the peep hole and saw the idiotic girl in her pajamas holding something in her hands. I couldn't make out what it was. Why the hell is she up so early?

I decided not to answer and walked back to the kitchen. I opened the cabinet and there I saw a bunch of instant noodles and junk food. I grabbed one of the noodles and placed it on the counter. Again, a knock came. I ignored it. I took a pot then poured water on it before putting it in the gas stove. Just then, there was a knock again. And again. And again. My eyebrows furrowed in irritation.

"Oh, that's it!" I muttered under my breath. I marched towards the door and opened it to see Dara wearing a smile on her face, much to my annoyance, with a plate in her hands.

"Good morning, Jiyong!" She greeted very enthusiastically, her smile growing bigger.

"What do you want? Make it quick." I barked.

She looked down at the plate she was holding for a moment before looking up at me. "I brought you-"

"I don't want it." I cut her off.

She stared at me, unblinking. "You don't even know what it is."

"Even if I do, I wouldn't want it since it's from you."

"Then just imagine it's not from me, okay? Here!" She said, shoving the plate in my hands. "Eating junk food and noodles all the time is bad for your health so just take it. If you want more, let me know!” She winked at me before walking quietly to the room next door.

Huh? How did she know what I eat?

I looked down at the plate on my hands arguing with myself whether to leave it here outside or to take it inside. I grumbled incoherent words under my breath as I decided to do the latter. I placed it on the counter next to the noodles that I took out earlier, that’s when I noticed the contents on the plate. It was scrambled eggs, bacon and bread. Did she cook this on her own? My hand reached for the plate and I walked over to the trash can to dump it. It wasn’t like I asked for it. For some reason, I couldn’t bring myself to throw it. I let out a snarl and slid the plate in the counter.

My head turned to the pot in the gas stove and realized that I hadn't switched it on yet. I felt my stomach rumbling from hunger. I took the unopened noodles and threw it back on the cabinet. I pulled the plate the girl gave me and began eating. Before I knew it, the plate was empty. I reached for an empty glass and poured water before drinking it all in one go. I placed both the plate and the glass on the sink, deciding to wash it later. A thought of going for a walk came to mind. I went to the bathroom and took a shower. I put on my gym clothes.

Hours have passed since I left my apartment. All I did was walk around. When it was lunch time, I stopped by a fast food restaurant and then resumed my walking. I entered an empty playground and walked over to a swing to sit. elbows rested on my thighs and my body leaned forward in a thinking position. I glanced at my wrist watch to see that it was already 5:45 in the evening. I was a bit surprised that I didn’t notice how many hours have already passed. It may be because a lot of things were on my mind. For instance, the dream... I couldn’t understand why I’ve been having that dream for several nights now. It’s… a torture for me. Sometimes I dread going to sleep with the thought of having the same dream over and over.

“You were here?” My gaze darted up to meet the eyes of the last person I wanted to see. I quickly turned away. In the corner of my eye, I saw her sit in the swing next to me and said, “Is something wrong?”

My brows furrowed slightly. Before I could stop myself I said, “A person like you who never experienced losing someone you love wouldn’t understand.” My lips parted as I gasped in surprise at what I just said. Why the hell did I say that? I mentally punched myself at the idiocy. I was about to stand up from the swing to leave when I heard her speak.

“That’s not true. I…” The way her voice sounded was a shock for me. It was soft and gentle, but it was sad. “I lost my mother when I was very young.”

My head turned to the side to look at her. She had her head lowered, her foot pushing the sand softly.

“What?” I asked, stunned. I did not expect her to have experienced something like that at all.

She looked up at me, now wearing that big smile of hers. “Yeah... It was very sudden, you know. She was involved in a car accident. It was really painful because I loved her so much. Well, I still do, of course!”

I don’t understand… She lost her mother at such a young age just like I did but how can she smile still like that?

She must’ve seen the look on my face because she added, “it’s okay now, though. I’m sure my mom’s watching over me from above.”

I felt my eyebrows knit together in frustration. My fists clenched tightly. If she experienced something of sort, why does she always smile? Always. While me, when I lost my mother, I felt like I had no reason to smile anymore.

“But why… are you always smiling?” I asked. “You lost your mother and yet you always… smile, as if nothing’s wrong. As if nothing happened.”

She had a bemused expression for a moment then looked up at the sky thoughtfully. “It's already in the past. There's no use crying over spilt milk. And my mom has always told me that a smile..." she paused, "is the key that fits the lock of everybody's heart. I want to be able to open everyone’s heart,” she said, her voice softened to almost a whisper.

Then, she slowly turned her head towards me with the sweetest smile I’ve ever seen her wear, and then continued, “I want to be able to open your heart, Jiyong.” Then she asked, “Do you think it’s possible?” She sounded hopeful.

That took me aback. I stared at her blankly for a moment before the same feeling that I had felt before crept up to me –the very same weird feeling. I felt my expression soften just as I felt my cheeks grew hot and my clenched fists loosened slowly.

Suddenly, I heard myself burst out with laughter. I didn’t even know what was funny. I just knew that something was. Could it be that Dara’s abnormality is getting to me? It was the first time in a while that I was able to laugh as much. I saw her gape at me throughout my outburst.

After regaining my composure, I quickly stood up from the swing and started to walk away -feeling extremely embarrassed. I had no idea what has gotten into me to burst out laughing like that. I even scared myself.

“That was the first time I ever heard you laugh!” Dara said, catching up to me.

"Shut up," I grunted angrily.

To my amazement, she did shut up. How I hoped that she will remain that way forever -or at the very least, until we reached our apartment. But of course, that was impossible as I heard her call me.

She continued when I didn't respond, "let's go to school together tomorrow."

I ignored her.

"I'll take that as a yes," she exclaimed making me abruptly stop to face her.

"No.” My voice was firm.

"Why not?"

"Cause I said so!" I answered, my voice rising.

She looked at me curiously. “But we’re neighbors and we go to the same school so why can’t we?”

My eyes narrowed in irritation. This girl... She won't listen to anything I say, will she? “Do whatever you want!” I snapped.

I saw her eyes light up with delight. “Great!” she chirped.

--

A/N Happy birthday to Daesung! It was such a coincidence that my last 2 chapters were Daesung's birthday. I wasn't actually aware. *slaps self* LOL Anyway, I just want to say hi to my new subscribers and new readers!! And also to the comment-ers. Haha! Really, thanks so much everyone for your support! TvT

I honestly feel like this chapter is crappy. Sorry for that. :/ I'll make it up to ya'll at the next one! Mkay? Hihi. Til next chappie! ♥