The Reason

No Other

“What? What’s wrong?” Dara asked innocently.

“Did you just say what we thought we heard you say?” Joohyun asked, hoping that what she heard was wrong.

“I said Jiyong is a very nice person.” She gave them a questionable look as a look of confusion plastered across their faces. “Is there something wrong with what I said?

Joohyun shrugged. “Oh, well. Dara says nice things all the time. She can’t help it, even if he treats her like crap.” Bom nodded in agreement.

“That’s not true. He really is a nice person,” said Dara, her voice almost rising in objection.

All of them had a surprised look on their faces. And then Daesung chortled in amusement, making them turn to him.

 “Jiyong…” Daesung began. “He’s really not as bad as everyone think he is. He has a reason for acting the way he is with girls."

“You’re saying that, but a while ago you seemed to disagree with what Dara said.” Bom said, a bit confused.

Daesung shook his head. “I never said I disagreed. I was just shocked that someone’s saying that about Jiyong. Let alone,” He faced Dara with amusement in his eyes,”a girl.”

With that statement, they knew Daesung knew something about Jiyong that no one else does. They looked at him, including Seungri, with eager eyes. Daesung knew what they wanted to know even if none of them said anything.

"It’s…" He trailed off. They all waited for him to continue, but nothing.

“Are you going to continue or not?” Joohyun growled.

He tittered at Joohyun’s impatience before saying slowly, “Jiyong has experienced something very tragic and traumatic as a child. Believe it or not, before that experience, he was a very bright and happy young boy. He had so many friends. He-”

“Can you change your choice of words? I feel like I’m listening to an old man telling his grandchildren a story.” Seungri interrupted.

Daesung glared at him and then continued, “Jiyong was a mama’s boy. He loved his mother so much. But one day, his mother was involved in a car accident and died.”

A shocked expression appeared on their faces then nodded to Daesung to continue.

“Ever since, he always preferred to be alone and doesn’t smile at all. Not to anyone, not to anything. He became cold and distant. Soon, he no longer had friends. No one dared play with him, let alone go near him.” he paused then went on, as he saw all of them were listening intently to him. “And then a time came when a new girl came. She approached him, even when Jiyong tried to shut her away. She kept trying. Not long after, she was able to break the walls Jiyong created to separate himself from others. He was able to open up to her. They were always together. Another boy came. All the girls liked him. Jiyong was scared that the girl will go to him. But she assured him that she won’t and even promised to him that she will never leave him. But that promise wasn’t kept. She soon went to the boy. All she said to him before leaving was ‘sorry’. No explanation or whatsoever. You see, she didn’t just leave Jiyong. She betrayed him.” Daesung’s eyes narrowed at the thought.

“That’s horrible!” Bom said quietly.

“It is, but just because the girl did that to him doesn’t mean that all girls are the same.” Joohyun scowled.

“It doesn’t. But the fact that Jiyong was very fragile at that time because of his mother’s death and then just when he thought that he had someone to lean on, that person betrays him.”

“Maybe the girl had a reason to leave him and she just couldn’t tell him.” Dara said softly. Daesung noticed the look of sadness in her eyes.

“You think?” Daesung sniggered then quickly said, “That is why I was a bit surprised when Jiyong talked to Dara.” He chuckled at the memory.

Dara blinked at Daesung. It was as if he wanted to divert the topic. She decided not to say anything.

“Talked? He called Dara ‘disgusting’ and rudely said to her, ‘why should I tell you’.” Joohyun imitated ridiculously. “You call that talk?”

Daesung merely nodded. “In Jiyong’s case, it is. Don’t you understand? He ignores girls all the time. He wouldn’t even look at them. The usual Jiyong wouldn’t even comment even if a girl is drooling in front of him, and the usual Jiyong would walk away without looking back even if a girl begs him,” he smirked. He was, without a doubt, pleased with his realizations.

“That’s right!” Seungri chimed in, finally being able to say something. “I never witnessed him talk to any girls, unless it’s necessary.”

“Maybe he likes you.” Daesung blurted, his eyes on Dara.

Seungir nodded stupidly. “Yeah, he li- WHAT?!” He stared at Daesung in skepticism.

Dara shook her head vigorously. “No. He hates me. He said so himself.”

“He said what?!” It was Bom and Joohyun’s turn to stare at their best friend in disbelief.

“Yeah. He said he hates me.” Dara said casually. A little too casually.

Jiyong told her he hates her? Now that IS something. Daesung’s smirk grew wider.

**

“Are you sure he will still come back?” Seungri asked Daesung. Daesung shrugged. They were standing in front of the restaurant, waiting for Jiyong. Dara, Joohyun and Bom already left a few minutes ago. As if on cue, Jiyong appeared with an annoyed expression on his face, holding a white paper bag. He approached them, and without saying a word, he threw the paper bag to Daesung. Daesung caught it, looked at it then raised a brow at his friend.

“Is it what I think it is?” Seungri asked, wide-eyed.

Daesung opened the paper bag and saw a shirt –it was the same shirt that they saw before they went to the movies that Daesung pointed and said that he liked it. Seungri gasped.

Jiyong saw Daesung smiling broadly and groaned, not wanting to be thanked. “I’m leaving.”

Daesung knew that his friend was completely embarrassed at what he just did. He must’ve had debated with himself hardly whether or not to buy the gift. That’s also when it came down to him that he must have purposely come back now so that the girls won’t witness such a scene.

I have such a sly friend. Daesung thought to himself. Just then, a question appeared on his head.

“Do you like Dara?” He asked, loud enough for him to hear.

Seungri’s eyes widened and he squealed with fear. “Are you suicidal?” he muttered to Daesung.

Jiyong stopped. “What are you blabbering about? Just because it’s your birthday doesn’t mean I won’t dare hit you,” he said in a low angry voice, his back still on Daesung and Seungri.

“It was just a question, no need to get violent.” Daesung laughed and waved his hand. “Thanks for the gift!”

Jiyong responded with a condescending ‘hmph’ kind of sound then walked away, leaving the two behind.

“See, Daesung? He doesn’t like her!”

Daesung smirked at Seungri. “What are you talking about? He didn’t even answer the question.”