Unexpected Meeting

No Other

 

I grinned at Seungri, happy at the hotdogs we've just bought and said "let's dig in" at the same time before taking a bite. We turned around and took a step to the side so we weren't in anybody's way. I scanned the people around me while chewing the juicy food in my mouth. It was only the first day of the festival and there were already a lot of people. The students and outsiders could be easily distinguished because the students were required to wear colored-coded jerseys (depending on the team they were in). In this case, I was wearing blue while Seungri was wearing green. The outsiders, or better termed as visitors, were either wearing their school uniform or casual clothing. Everyone I see had big smiles on their faces and chatting happily with their friends. Overall, they seemed to be having fun. I smiled happily.

 
Just as I was about to take my next bite, I saw him.
 
I felt my heart drop. My heart rate began to race. He was wearing a blue shirt and black pants that made him stand out from the group he was with because he was the only one not wearing the Kwang Soo High uniform. He was standing next to Taeyang and others I did not know. They watching one of their friends play a shooting game at the stall just across from where we were standing. I must've stopped moving for a quite some time because I thought I heard Seungri call me. But I didn't responde because I was too focused on him. His mouth opened to let out a laugh when his friend missed a target. I watched as he ran his free hand through his messy black hair. It was a habit of his back then. It still was, it seemed.
 
It was really him.
 
I was sure I wasn't the only one who knew who he was. Because Seungri whispered incredulously, "Lee Donghae."
 
Donghae must've heard him because his head turned to our direction. I pulled Seungri's arm and spun us around almost immediately. I hoped the crowd made us appear invincible. It was then I saw the hotdog on the ground and realized it was mine. I pouted at the waste.
 
"Dara?"
 
I felt my body stiffen at the voice I haven't heard for more than 2 years. His voice was deeper compared to the last time I've heard him but it was still recognizable.
 
"Dara," he called again but louder.
 
I remained still, so did Seungri. He must be waiting for my next move. I didn't know what to do. I didn't expect to see him for at least a year or two. I imagined that when I see him, I'd be able to greet him coolly but I didn't think that the very sight of him could set my heart beating faster than a cat's with fear when being chased by a dog.
 
Just when I sensed him walking towards us, Jiyong appeared in front of  me and Seungri out of nowhere. A feeling of relief flashed over me the moment I saw him. Jiyong, however, didn't look too happy.
 
"Let's go," he said in a low voice then grabbed my hand. 
 
I said nothing and let Jiyong pull me. I didn't look back. Not even once. I didn't dare to. 
 
I found myself smiling. Suddenly, I wasn't worried or nervous anymore. I knew it was because of Jiyong. His mere presence always calms me down. I even felt I could already face Donghae if Jiyong was next to me. I thought, what if Jiyong didn't appear when he did, would me and Donghae actually talk? I shook my head. I decided to deal with Donghae later. I knew I'd have to, eventually. I called pass for now.
 
"Look! It's the others," Seungri exclaimed behind us.
 
It was then I only realized where we were.
 
We stopped and saw them entering the gym. Joohyun and Daesung were saying something to Bom who was wearing their team's varsity jersey colored red. I figured they must be giving her words of encouragement. Bom was to play in the volleyball game against the green team.
 
"Go inside," Jiyong said tonelessly, letting go of my hand I didn't realized he was still holding.
 
I blinked at him. "You're not going to watch?"
 
"No. I have to," he paused and looked thoughtful, "go see Seunghyun hyung."
 
I shot him a quizzical look. He looked away. I instantly knew something was up. Looking at Seungri, I said, "Go ahead. I'll follow."
 
Seungri looked at me and Jiyong then nodded before heading towards the gym. Other students were entering as well to watch game. He paused then said to me, "I'm sorry about earlier.. If I didn't say his name he wouldn't have-"
 
"Don't be silly, Seungri," I waved my hand dismissively, "There's nothing to be sorry about at all!" It was true. There was no need to apologize. Donghae would've eventually spotted us anyway. I flashed Seungri a reassuring smile.
 
He smiled sheepishly back at me then jogged towards the gym.
 
"Dara," Jiyong sighed.
 
I looked up at him. "Hmm?"
 
"Why didn't you go? The game's about to start. Bom is probably looking for you."
 
I frowned. "I'll go but I'm worried about you."
 
His brow furrowed then growled, "I'm fine," he must've seen a surprise expression on my face because he immediately said, "Sorry, just go inside. I'll follow after I talk to Seunghyun hyung."
 
I wanted to go with him. Only I didn't get to say so because he was fast gone. I pouted sadly.
 
"Dara, aren't you gonna watch the game?" Minhwan asked, coming up to me with an excited look on his face. He was wearing a green varsity.
 
"Of course, I will," I said smiling brightly at him, hoping he didn't see I was pouting. We went inside together to see the gym almost filled with students, faculty and visitors alike.
 
We spotted Joohyun and the others easily. Minhwan then went to sit with his teammates at the other side of the court. I saw Seungri whisper something in her ear. Daesung, who was at the other side of Joohyun, was oblivious to what was happening because his eyes were glued to the court. Joohyun's eyes went wide at whatever Seungri was telling her. When I was close enough to them, she stood up abruptly from her seat wearing a very serious expression on her face and stopped in front of me.
 
"Seungri said he's here.. Is it true he's here? You saw him with your own eyes? Are you okay?" She was talking so fast I didn't get to answer any of her questions. "I'm going to kill that bastard!" She said through gritted teeth.
 
"Yes, it's true he's here. I saw him with my own eyes, and I'm okay so you don't have to kill anyone," I said slowly, making sure I answered all of her questions. I stared at her face full of concern and shook my head. "You don't have to worry. I'm really fine. Thank you, Joohyun."
 
She sighed with relief, "That's good. It's just so sudden. How dare he show up here out of nowhere?" Her voice rose at the last part.
 
I want to know the answer to that too but I didn't say that out loud. Instead, I showed her a reassuring smile. I glanced at Bom who was already at the court with the rest of their team, warming up for the game. "You didn't tell her, did you?"
 
"No. Seungri told me just now," then she smirked, "She'd be right here all worried, talking to you and hugging you if she knew."
 
I chuckled as I imagined it. That was definitely so Bom. She wouldn't be able to focus on the game at all if she heard about it.
 
The sound of the whistle echoed through the gym. It indicated that the game was about to begin. The crowd cheered wildly. Daesung motioned for us to sit down and we did. Bom was at the first six. We would call out to her every now and then and she'd look at us with a big grin on her face. Though Seungri was in green team, he still cheered for Bom. Later, red team won the game but the scores of green team weren't that bad. It was a pretty close fight.
 
There was a 15 minute break before the next volleyball game between blue team and yellow team begins.
 
Bom, Joohyun and I went out to buy snacks and get water from the fountain while the Seungri and Daesung stayed inside the gym. There was still no sign of Jiyong. I wondered where he was.
 
"I didn't know you were that good. You should be in the varsity team!" Joohyun praised Bom when we reached the water fountain. It was the first time we saw her play seriously.
 
"Yeah, you were! You were cool," I agreed, filling up a bottle with water, and Joohyun and Bom doing the same. "Only if I could play like you I'd definitely join the varsity!"
 
"Thanks," Bom replied, flustered by the compliments. "But you know I don't like sweating."
 
Joohyun rolled her eyes. "Geez, you're sweating right now!"
 
"This is different. It's only once a year. If I-"
 
"What are you doing here?"
 
We stopped talking, instantly recognizing the owner of the voice.
 
"Jiyong," the three of us whispered in unison. But he didn't seem to be talking to us. For some reason, the three of us quickly bent down to hide behind the fountain we were standing by. Judging from where Jiyong's voice came from, he was just at the other side of the fountain.
 
Was he talking to Seunghyun sunbae?
 
"You can't be here," we heard him say, no kindness or warmness in his voice.
 
No, that couldn't be Seunghyun sunbae he's talking to, I thought.
 
"Why are we hiding again?" Bom asked in a very quiet whisper.
 
Joohyun shrugged. "Why are you whispering?"
 
"You're whispering too," Bom pointed out.
 
"Should we reveal ourselves?" I asked as quiet as possible.
 
Bom made a face, "But that'd be weird."
 
"It's weirder if we stay here and listen," I said. I didn't like eavesdropping, especially when it was Jiyong. "It's wrong," I added.
 
"You have a lot of guts coming here and showing your face to me. What, you still aren't satisfied with all you've got?" It was Jiyong who spoke again. It was very cold. Cold as I've ever heard from him.
 
What was happening? Who was he talking to? It wasn't like Jiyong to say something with so much hate and anger for no reason. It must be something serious.
 
Joohyun appeared frustrated. She also didn't like to listen to other people's converstations especially when it was something serious because she wouldn't like it herself if someone was listening to her conversation with somebody. "We'll go, but quietly. We have to walk as quiet as possible as if we've never been here. In the count of three, okay?"
 
Bom and I nodded.
 
 
"1,
 
 
2,
 
 
3!"
 
We began walking as quiet as possible, still bent down.
 
"I didn't come here for you," Jiyong's company spoke for the first time.
 
That made us stop. I felt goosebumps all over my body.
 
"So don't flatter yourself," he continued.
 
I knew who that voice belonged to.
 
It was Lee Donghae's.
 
 
-------------
 
A/N: Jiyong and Donghae knows each other? Gasp! Why? How? LOL. :P Next chapter, Dara and Donghae will finally face each other for the first time! Dun dun dun dun. Lmao :)))
 
Well, it's the last day of 2012.. It's been truly an awesome 2012. Hope it was for all of you too! Thank you for staying with me despite my slow updates. New Year's Resolution: Update faster \O/
 
Keep support Darong and Kwon Jyong~ still giddy about the SBS Gayo Daejun CrayOn perf. kyaaaa <3 HAHA.
 
Wishing you all an AWESOME NEW YEAR! Start your 2013 right ;) see ya, next year ;;) <3