Child's Play

No Other

Dara walked out of the elevator to see Chaerin leaning on the wall with her arms crossed in front of her chest, waiting. Chaerin watched her approach with an expressionless face.

"Chaerin!” Dara smiled. “Jiyong isn't here. He said he’d go check on you," she informed her.

Chaerin's expression remained the same. Dara instantly understood that Chaerin didn't come for Jiyong, but for her.

"What is it, Chaerin?" She asked kindly.

"Let's talk inside your apartment," Chaerin finally said.

"Would you like to have anything? Tea, or a glass of water?" Dara offered courteously once they were inside. Chaerin sat on the center of the couch facing the small TV.

"No," Chaerin answered quietly. "I won't stay for long."

She looked at her watch. It was 11:12 to be exact. She has been waiting for Dara's arrival for awhile now. The rain had stopped two hours ago.

"Why is that you're home so late?" Chaerin asked trying to hide the bitterness in her voice but failed. Dara didn’t seem to mind. "I don't think a concert lasts for five hours."

"Oh no, it doesn't! That would be silly!" Dara answered innocently as she sat down beside Chaerin.

Chaerin flinched at the sweetness and kindness in her voice. She wondered if she ever gets tired of speaking that way. Dara explained how she and Seungri weren't able to watch the concert and that in her own words, "I selfishly asked Jiyong's help with something important. It took a while."

Chaerin wanted to ask what it was instead she just nodded. There was a reason she decided to seek Dara, and she wanted to get it done and over with as fast as she can. She thought she could only be alone in one room with Dara for so long.

"When I called you..." Chaerin began hesitantly. "I said some things to you that I've never should've said. I was angry and jealous. Everything just went dark. I couldn't stop myself... I just—"

Dara placed her hand on top of Chaerin's, giving her a comforting smile. There was an unspoken message that said she’s already forgiven before she could even apologize. Chaerin felt guilty more than ever by this but didn’t say a word.

"Sometimes we tend to do things out of anger and pain. It's only natural. Besides, by doing those things is how we realize our mistakes then learn from it. So, it's alright, Chaerin. Well, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised by your call but I know you didn’t mean any of what you said, so forget about it,” Dara laughed under her breath.

Chaerin was at loss more than ever by the end of the short speech. Dara spoke with full of wisdom –giving no chance for arguments. She was amazed by the fact that Dara was threatened and yet she could still think about such things. If someone did threatened her the way she did to Dara, she thought, she wouldn't be as forgiving.

"Chaerin? Are you okay?" Dara asked when Chaerin didn’t respond.

Chaerin shook her head. She cleared . "I'm going to Jeju Island. I’m going to see my uncle and my brother," she wasn't sure why she was telling her this but nonetheless, she continued, "I'll be spending the rest of my summer there starting tomorrow."

Dara gasped at the news, "already? That's so soon!"

"It's what I decided with my grandfather earlier this evening. Besides, I'd have to leave sooner or later." Chaerin could feel her temper-meter rising. Why was she telling her?

"But—"

"Stop pretending, Sandara Park!" She snapped. She looked at her in disgust. She was sick of Dara's fake concern and pretentious forgiving smile. "I know you'll love it when I leave! You'll be very happy! Because, then, you'll have Jiyong to yourself! You want that don't you? I bet you can't even wait for me to leave! Well, you better call your friends now and throw a party because I'll be leaving tomorrow!" Chaerin said those words so fast that it seemed like she said all of it in one breath.

Dara stared at her in utter shock and amazement. "You're leaving tomorrow?"

"What?" Chaerin stared back at her, but in disbelief. She said all of those things to her and she replied as if she only heard the last line? Chaerin wondered to herself. A part of her told her to give up and just leave because the truth was, deep down, Chaerin knew that Dara wasn't faking her concern nor pretending her kindness. Somehow, Chaerin just wanted Dara to reveal her demonic side to her, because that way, she'd have a reason not to give up on Jiyong.

"I'm wasting my time with this," Chaerin stood up from her seat. "You're too good. Too good." And she meant that literally.

Dara’s eyes followed Chaerin as she made her way to the door. Then, Chaerin stopped abruptly, suddenly remembering something.

She spoke while looking over her shoulder at Dara. "Your necklace... the one with the pendant letter D, where did you buy it?" From the moment Chaerin's eyes laid on the necklace, she knew that it was especially made, and that it was white gold –something she knew Dara couldn’t afford.

"I didn't,” she stated. “Someone gave it to me.”

Chaerin’s brows furrowed at the girl. "Who did?"

Before Dara could answer, Chaerin's phone started ringing. She looked through her bag to see it was Jiyong calling. She saw it was already a quarter 'til midnight. " Drats!" She cursed. She stayed longer than she planned to.They couldn't had possibly talked that long, could they? Chaerin thought.

She turned to leave and reached for the door.

"Jiyong loves you, Chaerin,” Dara blurted. “He really does."

Chaerin chuckled as if it was an inside joke. "Of course, he does," she answered knowingly though her voice was sad.

She took a deep breath. "I could only expect from you, Sandara Park. Don't disappoint me."

With that, she left.

*

Dara and Jiyong were on their way to Seungri's place with Dara clutching a small paperbag to her chest. So many things happened to Dara just the day before. Leaving her phone in her apartment, the unexpected rain, the missed concert, Jiyong coming to her aid and their improved relationship, and lastly, the conversation she had with Chaerin.

What does she expect from me? Dara couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Jiyong noticed Dara's absence in the real world. She was too deep in thought that she almost bumped into a post thrice. Almost because Jiyong would always save her a step before she collided with the post. He wanted to yell at her to watch where she was going but decided
against it.

"We're here," Jiyong announced, bringing Dara and her thoughts back to Earth.

They were in front of a house with a nameplate on the fence: LEE. The car that could sometimes be seen dropping off and picking up Seungri to/from school was parked in the garage. The house was an ordinary one. It wasn't as grand as Daesung's but Daesung’s was a mansion so comparing the two wouldn't give Seungri's house any justice.

They moved forward to the house's front door. The entire house seemed quiet. There were no signs of life forms --no footsteps or whispers from the inside could be heard-- until Dara rang the doorbell. The house became alive.

There were yelling (like, "somebody get that friggin door!!"/"uncle, where's my socks at?") and heavy footsteps all around. Dara gave Jiyong a smile that said they seem very lively.

And then, the door opened. "What do you want?" A little boy, that looked about 9 years old, asked grumpily.

"We were wondering if Seungri—”

The boy didn’t let Dara finish as he yelled loudly, "SEUNGRI!! YOU HAVE VISITORS!!"

Jiyong restrained himself from kicking him for cutting Dara off. Dara, on the other hand, didn't mind.

"WHO ARE THEY?!?" Dara's smile grew bigger when she heard Seungri yell back from the second level of the house. That meant he was okay. Besides for the yelling, there were also hurried footsteps and laughter from up there.

"Your names?" He asked them with no sign of enthusiasm. Dara quickly answered. The boy was about to yell back when he thought of an idea. He studied Dara and Jiyong for a second then a mischievous smile formed on his face. "A GIRL CALLED DARA AND SOME GUY..." Jiyong twitched in annoyance at the term some guy. "A COUPLE!! THEY SAY THEY CAME TO ASK FOR YOUR BLESSING!!!"

Before Dara and Jiyong could react, Seungri appeared in front of them in a flash.

Relief came over him when he saw them. "Oh, good! It's you, Jiyong! I would've believed it if it was somebody else," he laughed then yelled, "YOU'RE DEAD WHEN I GET HOME, HYUNSEUNG!!"

"I DON'T CARE!" came a muffled reply from a room.

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING, YOUNG MAN?!" It was Seungri's mother from the kitchen.

Seungri made a face. "OUT! I’LL BE HOME BEFORE DINNER!" He closed the door behind him before he could hear a reply.

Dara titled her head to the side. "Where are we going, Seungri?"

He grinned. "Anywhere other than here. Daesung’s?"

They agreed. As they were walking (with Dara in the middle), Seungri explained to them that he felt better, and apologized to Dara. She quickly forgave him.

However, Jiyong wasn't as forgiving. He told him in gritted teeth, "Next time you invite someone out be sure to stay away from harm until then so you won't disappoint the person you invited."

Seungri raised a brow at him. “Geez, okay. You don't have to be so mad.”

"Oh, by the way! This is for you!" Dara cheerfully interrupted, as if sensing the danger. She handed Seungri the small paperbag. "Go on, look at it!"

He looked inside it. It was VVIP's latest CD. Dara excitedly instructed him to open the CD case. Seungri's eyes grew wide when he did.

"This... VVIP's signature!!" There was even a message for him from VVIP himself.

Dara nodded happily. "We know you're upset about the concert. This was the least we can do for you!"

"H-how? I can't b-believe this!" He stuttered.

"Believe it," Jiyong grunted. He recalled how they waited for the singer (at the hotel he was staying at) all night. Just when he succeeded convincing Dara to go home, she told him she had a feeling VVIP was at the other entrance of the hotel. She sure of it, she said. And viola, he really was there –just getting out of his van. Jiyong was surprised. It wasn't easy reaching VVIP with all the bodyguards around but eventually, he saw Dara and gestured her come to him (much to Jiyong's annoyance). Jiyong watched them talk for about five minutes. It was a very long talk. He saw the singer laugh. Jiyong wanted to break his teeth. After deciding to carry Dara over his should and leave the hotel, she returned with the signed CD and a huge smile on her face.

"THANK YOU!!" He was about to hug Dara when Jiyong stepped in between them. So it was him that was caught in the hug instead but Seungri didn’t care. He was too happy.

"Oh, grow up!" He muttered in disgust.

They reached Daesung's place a few minutes later to see a black car parked in front of the big gate, and Daesung and Chaerin talking beside the car.

"Dae!" Seungri called.

Both of them turned to their direction. Daesung waved at them to come closer. They did.

Jiyong immediately sense something wasn't right. "What’s going on?" He asked Chaerin.

Chaerin looked at Daesung before sighing. "I'm going to Jeju Island to see uncle and my brother.”

Jiyong shifted uncomfortably at the news. “When?”

“In a few minutes. I’m sorry for not telling you, oppa," she said barely in a whisper. Then, she went to get something in the car. It was the chocolate box from Daesung that Jiyong left her before running off the night before. She walked towards Jiyong and planted him a kiss on the cheek. Jiyong didn’t react. He remained perfectly still.

Chaerin leaned closer and whispered behind his ear, "You better hold unto her tight, oppa." She stepped back and opened the box to reveal a chocolate. The only chocolate left. The D. Jiyong ate the rest and unconsciously left that particular chocolate uneaten. Chaerin closed the box and handed it to him. She tried to smile, hoping it didn’t look forced.

Shock was plastered across Jiyong's face. She knows? How did she know? He wanted to ask. He unconsciously turned to Daesung who immediately mouthed to him, hey, I didn't tell her anything.

Chaerin took a deep breath before turning to Dara. "Let's hang out next time, Sandara."

Dara perked up. "Mm!" She nodded gleefully. "Dara. I like being called Dara."

Chaerin smiled at her. It was a small smile but it was real. She, then, walked to the car. "Oppa," she called. Jiyong waited for her to speak. "I'll be back. And when I do,” she saw Daesung’s amused expression before continuing, “we will no longer be engaged.

Instead, we will be relatives. We will be cousins." She announced.

She winked at Dara before getting inside the car and telling the driver to speed off.

When the car could no longer be seen, Daesung chuckled. "She finally said it."

Seungri was the first to react. "COUSIN?!"

Jiyong's ears twitched in annoyance. He raised his hand. "I've heard enough screaming for one day!" He hit Seungri on top of his head. Hard.

"Hey, ow!"

"What of it if she's my cousin?" He growled before heading inside.

"What do you mean what of it?! Isn't, or rather, wasn't she your fiancée?" Seungri screamed after him.

"I never said she was!" Jiyong barked from the other side of the gate.

Seungri followed him inside. "You never denied it either!"

"And that doesn't mean she is!"

Their voices faded as they walked further away from the gate, though they could still be heard arguing.

"They're related, huh," Dara said mostly to herself. "I think I finally understand what Chaerin meant last night."

Daesung knew Dara wasn't talking to him but he felt as if he had to tell her so he said,

"You know, it was a game."

"I'm sorry?" Dara gave him a curious look.

"Their engagement," he simply said. "When they were kids, they used to pretend they were engaged, in an arrange marriage or some sort. Jiyong used to play along." He chuckled at the memory.

"Until he grew up."

It was a long moment before Dara finally asked, with her eyes full of admiration at Daesung, "You're really close to them, aren't you?" She added quietly, "I wish I can be close to them like you."

Daesung wanted to tell her Oh, believe me, you’re getting there. You’ll be close to them more than I am to them now. But instead, he laughed aloud and invited her inside. "Let's go before Jiyong strangles Seungri or something."

Dara giggled at the thought then nodded.

*

It was already getting dark. Jiyong and Dara walked on the road leading to their apartments. Jiyong still had the box in his hand. He was debating with himself whether to eat it or not.

"Is that a farewell gift from Chaerin?” Dara asked curiously.

"Just a bunch of chocolates. Don’t ask anymore," Jiyong grunted. He didn't want her to know what was inside.

"Chocolate? I thought you liked vanilla. Did Chaerin bake them? Can I see it?"

"No.” He rolled his eyes at her. She asks too many questions.

Pouting, her lip quivering a bit, Dara stared up at Jiyong with big puppy eyes. “Pretty please, Jiyong?”

"That's not going to work on me!” Jiyong tried hard not to look at her but failed. He felt himself give in. “Fine! Here!" He muttered incomprehensive words under his breath.

Dara grinned triumphantly. “Thank you!” She opened the box to see the chocolate.

"It's a D!" She chirped. "D for Dara!"

Jiyong felt blood in his face. He grabbed it from her, obviously embarrassed. "Stop assuming! D could be for anything! Like…" He tried to think of something.

"Daesung!" Dara giggled uncontrollably.

He made an eww-face. "Fine. D for Dara it is. But that’s only because the other choice is Daesung!" He tried to sound pissed at her but he sounded the exact opposite.

He sounded very happy.

He, then, saw the astonished look on Dara's face.

"What?"

"That… was the first time you said my name!” She let her jaw drop. “My nickname!"

Jiyong felt blood rush to his face once again. “So what if it is?" he stammered. “I’ll start calling you that so you better get used to it.”

He heard Dara squeal with delight at his statement.

After a few seconds of silence, he smiled down at her.

"Let's go home," his stomach suddenly did a flip when he said it. It surprised him but he tried to keep a straight face.

“Mm!” Dara nodded excitedly.

------------

A/N I'm sure some of you've seen that coming. Chaerin and Jiyong being related and all. After all, I've been dropping hints in the previous chapters.  Kudos to those who figured it out. HAHA! Anyway, just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone. My story's new subscribers, comments and all. Though I'm not really the type to reply to comments, they are all deeply appreciated. They keep me motivated to continue TvT hahaha! Well yeah, just wanna say thanks :)

My break (from school) is officially over (kill me naoooo! lol). That means I'm going to be busy again but I'll try to update as much as I can. I'm working on the next chapter now, actually :D so yeah. Hope i'll finish it by tonight or tomorrow. Hoho. Well, that's it. THANK YOU again! Stay awesome ;)