Suspension

No Other

 

Dara didn’t know what to do, what to say or what to feel. She was sent to the principal’s office. To her surprise, In Na was again there, standing in front of Principal Yang who was sitting behind his desk, her arms across her chest.

“Good morning,” Dara greeted in a quiet voice, her feet moving in small, constant steps towards them. She stopped just a few steps away.

“You probably already know why you’re here again,” Principal Yang began.

Confusion was written all over her face but she nodded wordlessly. She knew it was about the cigarette box in her locker -a cigarette box she has nothing to do with. What made her head spin around with questions was the fact that it was found in her locker.

“Why is there such thing in your locker?” the principal asked, looking straight at Dara.

“I don’t know, sir.” It was all Dara could say. She didn’t feel like she has any explaining to do since she knows that she’s innocent and that the box of cigarettes does not belong to her.

“Is that all you could say?” In Na scoffed. “You won’t be able to convince anyone with that.” The principal threw her a warning look but she still continued, “Why don’t we search her? Maybe she’s hiding something that can serve as evidence.”

He heaved a frustrated sigh. “Do it,” he said since he knew he didn’t have a choice.

In Na twinkled in amusement at Principal Yang. She walked over to Dara and held her hand out. “Give me your bag.”

Dara complied, handing her bag to her. In Na took it roughly from Dara and ped the bag. Dara was confident that nothing will be found. In Na was carefully examining the contents of her bag. Suddenly, a smirk formed in her lips.

“What have we here…” In Na said, reaching for something inside the bag. Just then, she pulled out her hand.

Dara’s eyes widened. It was a lighter. “Sir, I-“

“I knew it!” In Na exclaimed, handing over the lighter to Principal Yang whose face was unreadable. He took it. He looked at it then to Dara. In Na faced Dara and threw the bag to her. Dara caught it. “You keep on denying but it really is you. You were the one who-“

“Stop, In Na. You’ve done enough.”

In Na knitted her brows. “Don’t tell this isn’t enough evidence. You want more? Aren’t you a bit biased if you ask for more? She has to be punished! Bringing cigarettes are not-“

“I’m the principal here, not you.” Principal Yang reminded her. His expression was grave. His voice was low but it was very serious. “I know the rules and regulations of my school. I also know that the students who break my rules need to get punished.”

In Na wanted to say more but she knew better.

Principal Yang turned to Dara. “A cigarette box was found in your locker, and now a lighter in your bag… I’m sorry to say this but you’re suspended from school, Ms. Park. Starting today.”

A look of triumph flashed through In Na’s eyes while Dara looked as if she couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“But sir… It’s exams next week…”

“Exams will begin the 3rd day next week. You’re suspended until then. Our school does not tolerate rule-breakers even if it’s one of the top students. Do you understand, Ms. Park?” His voice was stern and firm.

Dara nodded obediently.

“You two may go.”

“Thank you very much,” In Na said, walking out of the room. She was clearly in a good mood. 

Dara bowed and followed In Na to the door, her bag hanging on her shoulder.

“Be careful on your way home, Dara,” In Na said in a sing-song voice, as if taunting her.

“Yeah… thanks,” she mumbled.

“Enjoy your vacation,” In Na jeered, turning the corner in the hallway.

She’s suspended for the first time in her life. She wondered where the cigarettes and the lighter came from. It was clearly not hers. Could it be that someone have mistakenly placed both in her things? A frown formed in her features.

“Dara?” someone called. “What are you doing here?”

Dara’s head jerked up to see Daesung. Her frown soon turned into a smile. She didn’t want anyone to see her with a frown. “Hi, Daesung! I was just-“

“Sunbaenim!”

Dara turned to the voice and an even bigger smile instantly formed in her lips when she saw Sohee walking towards her with a very worried look on her face.

As soon as she reached her, she said, “Are you okay, sunbaenim? I heard about what happened! I really don’t be-“

Dara eyes widened. She let out a stiff laugh and waved her hands frantically at Sohee."Ha ha ha! What are you saying, Sohee? Of course everything is okay. I’m okay! Ha ha ha!" She didn’t let her finish as she saw Daesung’s expression change to a puzzled one.

Sohee blinked at her while Daesung eyed her suspiciously. Obviously, everything is not okay.

"Oh, look at the time!" Dara exclaimed and pointed to the clock hanging on the wall, changing the subject. "I have to go! Sorry. I'll see you guys around, okay? Ha ha ha! Bye!" She ran off not even waiting to hear their response.

Daesung and Sohee stared at the retreating figure. When she was gone, Daesung turned to Sohee whose lip was now curled with defiant scorn when just a little while ago, she had a worried look on her face. Daesung somehow found it odd and… very suspicious. She spun around to leave, not even looking over at him.

**

“Where’s Darong, Joohyun?” Bom asked as Joohyun came over to their table alone.

“She didn’t come to school today…” Joohyun said in a low voice, almost a whisper.

Bom and Seungri gasped. “Is she sick?”; “What happened?” they both asked at the same time.

 “She sent a message to me saying that she’s sick.” Joohyun said in a tone of disbelief.

“That’s weird.” Daesung spoke. They all turned to him. “I saw her this morning, but she looked perfectly fine to me.” Then he added in a whisper, “Suspicious, but perfectly fine.”

“Where did you see her?” Bom asked.

“I saw her near the principal’s office and she was talking to the vice president of the student council.”

“Vice president? Yoo In Na?”

Daesung nodded. “Then another member of the student council came… Sohee was her name.”

“The freshman girl? Dara met her yesterday at the lockers in PE. She was introduced by some girl called Polly, or whatever.”

“What! You made new friends without me knowing?!” Bom asked in a whiny tone of voice.

Joohyun rolled her eyes. “I don’t know them, okay? Dara didn’t even introduce them to me. I just made a quick glance at the Polly girl’s ID. I’m not even sure if Polly is her name but it was something like that.” Then she turned to Daesung, “I don’t know much, but Sohee is one of Dara’s fans.”

“Fan?” Daesung raised a brow. He then thought of how she didn’t seem like a fan at all, especially when he saw her with that scorn smile as soon as Dara left.

“Should we visit her?” Bom asked Joohyun, referring to Dara.

“She said there was no need and not to worry because she’ll be back once she feels better... You know how she is.” Joohyun sighed. Just then, Joohyun looked around. “Where’s Kwon?” she wondered as she just realized that he wasn’t in the table with them.

Seungri shrugged. “Don’t know. He said he has something to do.”

**

A day has passed since Dara was suspended from school –her friends didn’t know anything about it. She wasn’t planning them either because she knew they would just get worried. What they knew was that she was sick -which was of course, a lie.

Seungri just came out of the boys’ CR when he saw three female students walking in the hallway, completely immersed in their conversation. Seungri stopped dead in his tracks as soon as he heard what and who they were talking about as they walked past him.

“The one who started the fire the other day was Dara!” One of the female students whispered to her two friends.

Both of them gasped. “Really? Are you sure?” one asked, her eyes wide.

She nodded. “Yes! Apparently, someone found a cigarette box in her locker. Isn’t it because of a lit cigarette that the fire happened? And what’s more! The vice president searched her bag and she found a lighter!”

“I can’t believe it! She’s actually that kind of person, huh? She almost fooled me!” another said.

Seungri ran to them and asked, almost yelling, “Is this true?!”

The girls looked at each other before telling everything they heard to Seungri. From when she was seen coming out of girls’ locker room before the fire happened until when a lighter was found on her bag and her suspension. Seungri dashed to the classroom to Jiyong, Daesung and Bom. When he entered the room, he looked as if life has been out of him.

Seungri told them everything. Bom looked like as if she was going to get a heart attack. Jiyong’s eyes widened slightly, but he was able to regain his composure before anyone could notice.

“It’s clearly a set-up.” Daesung said calmly. “You don’t believe it was really Dara, do you?” He was looking straight at Jiyong, as if the question was directed only to him.

Jiyong ‘hmphed’ and the two answered in unison, “OF COURSE NOT!”

Daesung grinned then asked Bom, “is there anyone holding a grudge against Dara?”

“Grudge? Against my Darong? No way! She hasn’t done anything wrong to anyone. She wouldn’t even hurt a fly!”

“Yes, of course.” Daesung said, thoughtfully. His eyes then fell on Jiyong. Daesung has been hearing rumors spreading around but he decided to ignore them since he found the rumors amusing. A sly smile formed in his lips.

Of course… it’s ‘that’. He thought to himself.

“Where are you going?” Seungri asked as Daesung stood up.

“Investigate, of course. You’re not just going to sit here and do nothing, are you?”

“That’s a good idea! I’m going to tell this to Joohyun. I’m sure she’s going to explode when she hears about this…” Bom blurted, following Daesung out of the room. Jiyong soon rose from his seat too.

Seungri looked up at him. “You’re leaving too? Are you going to investigate with Daesung?”

“Why would I waste my time with that? I have more important things to do.” Jiyong answered collectedly, heading towards the door.

Seungri pouted. He wondered what important things he's been up to recently. He noticed that Jiyong was occupied with these important things that he wouldn't even let him and/or Daesung know. When they would ask, he'd answer, 'it's none of your business.' Seungri let out a sigh then followed them out.

Daesung was walking in the hallway, not quite sure where he was heading. He said he would investigate but he didn't know where to start. Just then, he heard a small voice called out. "Excuse me?"

He turned to see a student. A young one. Most probably a 1st year, Daesung thought.

“Hello, I’m Sulli. Aren’t you a friend of Dara’s?” she asked a bit hesitant.

“Yes, I am. What of it?”

“I was just wondering if you know where I could visit her. I have something to tell her.”

“I’m sorry but I don’t give out addresses.” Daesung said firmly, although he, himself, had no idea where she lives.

“Please. It’s very important.” she pleaded as he was about to turn around and leave. Daesung raised a brow at her.

“She... she wasn’t the one who did it. It was... I...”

------

A/N Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I last updated, yea? Sorry about that! Was busy with school stuff. Anyway, I know my story is a bit slow-paced. Please be patient with me. looooool. xD I'll be sure to update the next chapter by tonight (since i've been gone for too long haha).

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING/SUPPORT/COMMENTS/SUBCRIPTIONS/WHATNOT \:D/ Btw, belated happy mothers' day to your beautiful mothers. xx ♥