A Step Closer

No Other

The next day, Dara and Jiyong walked to school together, despite the latter’s refusals. Jiyong was wearing his expressionless face while Dara with that radiant smile of hers. Jiyong walked a few inches ahead of her, not wanting to walk alongside her. Dara didn’t mind much.

As soon as they entered the school gates, all heads their direction. They froze almost instantly at the sight of Jiyong and Dara…

…together.

The two were oblivious to the students staring at them in shock either with wide-eyed or their mouth ajar. They couldn’t believe their eyes. It was the first time that Jiyong was seen with a girl, and to add up to that, the girl is Dara. Dara was popular with boys but is rarely seen with one –thanks to her overprotective best friends.

Jiyong was on his seat with his arms crossed over his chest, leaned back, his eyes closed, when he heard a loud thud. He opened an eye to see Seungri panting, his hands firmly on the table.

“Is it true?”

Jiyong opened his other eye and looked at Seungri lazily. “What is?”

“That you came to school with Dara? MY Dara?” He put emphasis on the word ‘my’.

“So what if is?” Jiyong answered coolly.

Seungri gasped loudly. “So it is! But I thought you-“

Before he could finish, a hand was clamped over his mouth then pushed him roughly to the side. That hand belonged to Daesung.

“Yo,” he said, giving a quick wave to Jiyong.

Jiyong nodded to him in response.

Meanwhile, in the other classroom, Joohyun and Bom were seated in front of Dara with an astonishing look on their faces. They didn’t see it with their own eyes but they heard it. Everyone in the campus is talking about it. That was how astounding it was.

“Why were you two together?” Joohyun asked suspiciously.

She stared at her two friends with eyes full of wonder. She didn’t understand why they were asking her such a question, she didn't of it as a big deal. She answered in a calm manner, “Isn’t it normal for neighbors to walk to school together?”

“Neighbors?!” Bom and Joohyun exclaimed in unison.

Realizing that Dara hadn’t informed them about it, she told that they lived in the same building, same floor, and same apartment that their apartments are right next to each other. Judging from their expressions, it was an information that was difficult for them to take in.

“And you didn’t tell us this because?”

“I forgot,” she said while scratching the back of her head with an apologetic grin.

“Does that mean that you’ll be coming here to school everyday? And go home with him?” Bom asked.

Dara seemed thoughtful for a moment like she hadn’t thought of it, then smiled. “Why not?”

Joohyun opened to say something but stopped when she felt Bom grip her arm. Then Bom leaned closer to Joohyun and whispered to her, “Don’t you think it’ll be better that way since it’s him? I mean, she’ll be safe and all.”

Joohyun didn’t like the idea of a guy hanging around Dara all the time, especially if the guy is Jiyong. The guy says rude things all the time, who knows what he tells Dara when they’re alone together. But then, Bom had a point. Joohyun slowly nodded then sighed.

Dara tilted her head to the side. “Is something wrong?”

Bom quickly shook her head at Dara then giggled. “Of course not! We were just hoping that he’s not saying anything rude to you.”

“Rude things?” she repeated. It was her turn to shake her head. “He’s not saying anything of sort at all!”

They raised a brow at her, refusing to believe it since its Jiyong, the girl-hater, they’re talking about, but decided to drop the topic.

At the cafeteria, the girls were looking for a place to seat when they saw Daesung waved in their direction and gestured for them to sit with them. A smile formed in Bom face, immediately walking over to their table with Dara and Joohyun following behind her.

Jiyong looked up, his eyes meeting Dara’s briefly before looking away and taking a bite from his food. Beside him was Seungri, who was waving at Dara. Dara smiled in return, taking a seat next to Joohyun who sat beside Daesung and Bom on the other.

“That’s a nice bracelet you got there!” Seungri commented on the heart charm bracelet wrapped around Dara’s right wrist.

She looked down at her wrist. “This?” she asked, lightly tapping the bracelet. “Thank you. It’s given to me by my mom.”

Seungri grinned, happy that he was finally able to start a decent conversation with Dara. “Really? Your mom? I wonder if I can meet her. I’m sure she’s as beautiful as you!”

Joohyun and Bom frowned at him.

Dara chuckled. “I don’t think so. I’m quite sure that she’s very beautiful and can’t be compared to me.” Then she added in a quiet voice, “And I’m sorry but you can’t meet her. She already passed away.”

Seungri’s eyes widened, a sheepish smile appeared on his face. “I’m sorry!”

She waved a hand at him. “No, it’s okay. You don’t have to be sorry.”

“Idiot,” Jiyong whispered to him.

Seungri bowed his head in embarrassment.

“Say,” Daesung suddenly spoke after minutes of awkward silence, “Let’s always eat lunch together starting today. What do you say?” 

Seungri seemed to cheer up at the idea. Joohyun made a face then muttered ‘whatever’ when she saw Bom and Dara nodded happily. Jiyong eyed him suspiciously. Daesung saw this then shrugged his shoulders innocently.

Three days passed by like a blur. Jiyong and Dara continued walking to school causing people to think that they’re a couple –also the sudden ‘eating together at lunch time’ added fuel to the fire. Of course, neither of the two knew about it, not even their group of friends so they never had a chance to deny it. No one had the guts to approach Jiyong because of his aggressive personality - and Dara because she’s always with the hot-tempered Joohyun and annoying Bom.

“Jiyong,” Dara called. Jiyong stopped, looked at her over his shoulder. “Do you have soccer practice today?”

“No.”

She clapped her hands together in joy. “Let’s go home together later.”

Jiyong rolled his eyes. As if I have a choice, he thought to himself.For some reason, he just couldn’t say no to her. No –he always say no to her. It was just that… she doesn’t listen. He didn’t know when, but he already gave up on it -thinking it was a waste of breath.

Jiyong didn’t answer but Dara understood what he meant. She watched Jiyong walk to his classroom before hopping joyfully to hers while giggling quietly to herself, "I think I've become a bit closer to Jiyong!"

Unbeknownst to the two, a person was eavesdropping their conversation hiding behind the lockers. She wasn’t too happy with what she heard. Well… she wasn’t happy at all.

“That b*tch. I’m going to make her pay,” she hissed in a voice trembling with anger.

---

A/N Tada! A new character appears! I wonder who.. And I wonder what her role will be (well.. it's already obvious). LMAO Here a short preview for the next chapter :>

Preview

 

“Where’s your bracelet, Dara?” Joohyun asked, curiously.

She glanced down at her wrist, expecting to see it there. A look of shock spread across her face when she didn’t.

**

 

“It was her! I'm sure of it! I saw her running out of the room!” She said, almost shouting, pointing at Dara. "She was the one who did it!"

Confusion etched on Dara’s features almost immediately. "What?"