Saving the Damsel

No Other

“It’s because everything you do and everything you say is annoying. Your attitude makes me sick. I don’t want to be involved with the likes of you.

For short, I hate you.”

Dara was silent, her face unmoving as she blinked, and her brown eyes staring straight at him. Then the expression on her face changed as if realizing something. She quickly pressed a hand over to . Jiyong took note of this and a look of triumph appeared on his face. Just then, Dara coughed. She couldn’t help it anymore; she burst into a fit of hysterical laughter. Jiyong stared at her in disbelief.

“You’re amazing, Jiyong! You sounded like you were telling the truth!” she said in between laughs.

His face turned red with anger. “IT’S BECAUSE I AM!”

“If it was someone else, I would have believed him but since it’s you, I don’t.” Dara said, finally managing to calm down, ignoring Jiyong. Jiyong was about to protest but she continued in a soft voice, “But still, it’s the fist time I’m told straight to my face that I was hated.” She beamed at him, “I can’t help but feel grateful! Thank you, Jiyong!”

Jiyong rubbed his temples as if he was experiencing the most painful headache known to man. “Why do I even bother?” he muttered to himself. He shot Dara a glare then turned and stormed off down the hall. She looked after him puzzled.

After class, Dara went straight to her new part-time job. Dara had to quit her previous job at the CD store because it was a long way from her new apartment. She was now working as a waitress in a restaurant.

“Dara, please bring this to table 3.”

“Right away,” Dara answered quickly. She took the tray and went to the table where a woman and a little boy, who she assumed to be her son, were seated. She quietly placed their food and drinks on the table. When they didn’t request for anything else, she walked over to the counter and placed the now-empty tray there. The restaurant wasn’t as crowded as she thought it would be.

As if reading her mind, someone spoke, “It’s still a bit early for it to be crowded. You just wait… after a couple of minutes, costumers will begin to flock the place.” Dara turned to her side to see Dongwook, a fellow waiter, with a smirk on his face. He was the first one who befriended her in her new job. “So, what’s up, new girl? How are you holding up?”

“I’m fine. I think I’m holding up pretty well.” She smiled at him. “So far,” she added.

“That’s good.” He smiled back.

They heard the guard greeted as a costumer entered, “Good evening, sir.”

“It’s him again. He’s always here.” Dongwook said to Dara, his eyes on the figure that just entered.

Dara followed his gaze and to her surprise, it was Jiyong. His face was expressionless with his hands in his pockets as he was being led to a table in a corner by another waitress.

“Jiyong?”

Dongwook gave her a shocked look. “You know him?!”

She nodded. “Yes, we go to the same school.”

“Does he have friends?”

Dara found the question odd but answered anyway. A picture of Seungri and Daesung appeared in her head. “Yes, he does,” Dara said slowly, tilting her head to the side, curious.

Dongwook noticed this then chortled. “It’s nothing, really. He eats here almost every night. He’s always alone though. Never saw him eat with anyone. Guys at his age should be surrounded…. By girls.” He said, grinning maniacally. He saw Dara give him a strange look. “I’m kidding,” he laughed and patted her on her shoulder before going back to work.

Dara finished her shift just a few minutes after Jiyong left. She expected him to leave right away after he ate but he didn’t. He remained seated at corner, and just as Dongwook said, alone. She didn’t get a chance to approach him because again, just as Dongwook said, the restaurant became busy not long after Jiyong arrived. After changing back to her uniform and making sure she has all her things with her, Dara slung her bag over her shoulder.

Dara began to walk back to her apartment in a dark, empty street. Suddenly, she heard hurried steps behind her. She heard laughter.

“Hey, you!” one called. Dara looked around to see if anyone else was there but it was only her. She walked a little faster than usual. “Hey, wait! You wearing a uniform!” the same voice called again.

Dara ignored it again, increasing her pace even more. The steps behind her did too. She was about to turn at a corner when a strong hand grabbed her arm and pulled her backward. That was when she saw in front of her were three men who looked like they were in their mid-30s. They were all bulky but the two weren’t as near as bulky as the one who was holding her arm. All of them had smirks on their faces. Amusement and excitement filled their eyes. It was as if that they won a lottery. Dara clutched the shoulder strap of her bag tightly with her free hand.

“Didn’t you hear us calling for you, pretty girl?” said the man who grabbed her arm –he looked as if he was the oldest and the boss amongst the three.

She glared at them. “Let me go!” She pulled her arm but to no avail. He was too strong for her.

The man snorted and said pulling her, “I’m sorry, honey, but you have to come with us now.”

Her eyes widen in terror. She felt her leg move on its own and kicked the man on his back leg. He moaned in pain. Dara decided to take the chance to pull her arm and run. “Get her!!” she heard him screamed.

She ran as fast she could but a hand caught her and pulled her forcefully.

“Let go!” She shrieked.

The grip tightened making Dara wince in pain. She saw their ‘leader’ walk towards her. He didn’t look too happy. The other two sniggered. “You’re going to get it now,” the one who caught her whispered, letting go of her.

Dara didn’t know what to do. Should she run now that he let go of her? She stared up as she was face-to-face with their boss. He raised his arm slowly then…

SLAP!

The slap was so hard that Dara fell backwards to the ground. It hurt so much that she felt sting in her eyes.

“That’s what you get from-“

“What are you doing?” He was cut-off by a voice that sounded apathetic.

All of them turned to the source of the voice. It was Jiyong –leaning on a lamp post. He looked at Dara’s direction. His eyebrows narrowed slightly when his eyes met hers. Dara, on the other hand, was surprised to see him still out at this hour, that’s when she saw him holding a plastic bag that had the logo of the convenience store nearby.

“If you don’t want to get hurt, get lost!” the other man said loudly.

Jiyong remained standing there, his eyes still on Dara. Dara looked at him blankly. She couldn’t quite comprehend what was on his mind.

“Well?” Their boss was beginning to get impatient.

Jiyong still stood there, as if waiting for something. Then, his eyes flickered to the man. He yawned and stretched his arms.

“Whatever. I’m tired,” he said lazily, walking past them, not even looking down at Dara who was still in the ground.

Dara felt the knot in her stomach tightened as he did. The three men laughed maniacally as he disappeared from their sight. They almost thought that their prey was about to be taken away.

“Now,” the boss smirked at Dara as he bent down to her eye level, “where were we?”

Dara didn’t listen to him. She was trying hard to think of ways to escape. She told herself that she had no right to depend on Jiyong since she brought this upon herself. She had to escape on her own. She remained calm but clenched her fist tightly. She had to try. It was the only way. She faced the man and was about to punch him when…

“On second thought…”

Dara’s fist froze in mid-air. The voice continued, “…an exercise at this time of night isn’t too bad.” Dara turned half-round to see Jiyong cracking his knuckles with his infamous smirk. “So which do you prefer, one-on-one or one-on-three?”

“You sure talk big for a kid,” the boss said as he stood up straight and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Shut up, you dirty old man. Just come at me.” Jiyong grunted, his patience running low.

“What did you call me?!” The old man yelled furiously.

“Dirty – old – man,” he purposely mocked.

“YOU’RE GOING TO GET IT NOW!”

Jiyong watched as they run towards him with fists raised in amusement. The boss reached him first. Dara saw as Jiyong dodge his punch then kicked him in the stomach and punched him repeatedly in the face effortlessly. He finally fell to the ground, groaning in pain. The other two froze. They were shocked that their boss wasn’t able to land a punch on a kid. They looked at each other began to shake in fear. They turned to run but Jiyong grabbed them by their collars fast enough.

“Do you think I’d let you escape?” Jiyong sounded almost mad. Before they could even answer, he banged their heads together and pushed them to the ground. All three of them were lying on the ground, conscious but unable to move. “Pathetic,” he spat walking away.

He noticed Dara was still on the ground and approached her. “You’re not going to stay here all night, are you?” He hesitated, but held his hand out to her.

Her eyes turned to him, then to his hand and back. “Where’s your plastic bag?”

He looked at her, incredulous. “Are you even in the position to ask about that?!” His voice was rising. “Screw it! Help yourself up.” He put his hand in his pocket, turning his back on her.

She watched him as he walked off, smiling.