Chapter 21

My ALMOST Perfect Lovestory

 

 

JiHoo left his apartment with a heavy heart. He knew that the moment he leaves that place, things will be different and HyunJae will definitely be hurt. But he needs to see Seohyun or he will forever bring this guilt. He knew that what he did is wrong and it will take time before she can forgive him or worst, she may not. And she can’t blame her, he cheated on her, who on earth will be happy about that?

 

But God knows he wanted to do it the right way, he never intended to cheat on her. When he came back to Seoul last week, he already planned on letting her go because he know that whatever he do, no matter how Seohyun told her that he loves her, he can never replace YongHwa in her life. And now that he’s back, he knew that the time will come that she will be confused. He doesn’t want that to happen so he made a hard decision to break up with her. He will break up with her not because he doesn’t love her anymore but because he wanted her to be happy and he knew that there’s only one person who can do that and it’s not him. But when he saw her and he witnessed how Seohyun shed  tears upon seeing him, he got scared of hurting her. Seohyun loves him maybe not as much as she loves YongHwa but he knew that she loves him and that’s enough for him. Yes, he knew that Seohyun still love YongHwa, she doesn’t need to tell it to him, he can feel it and he was not wrong. He had proven this when he saw her last week. She may tell him how much she misses him but he knew that something is bothering her and he knew what it is, or should he say who it is. He found the answer when they saw YongHwa at the carpark, when he left in a hurry, he noticed the sudden change of mood of Seohyun.

 

So he did not continue his plan. ‘This might not be the right time’ He thought as he drives away from her apartment. He’s fine as long as Seohyun is with him. But everything changes when he came back to JeJu that same day.

 

 

 

FLASHBACK:

 

He drives to Jeju after sending Seohyun to her apartment. He just told her that he will go to Jeju the next day but the truth is he has no plan of staying to Seoul for a long time. It will only remind him of  Seohyun’s reaction at the car park just a while ago. It will only remind him that as of this moment, whether Seohyun admitted it or not, he is not the only one who is holding her heart. That guy always has a special place at Seohyun’s heart. No matter how she says that she’s already over him, he doesn’t think it’s possible. But she’s not mad at Seohyun, she can’t blame her, the reason why she left him five years ago was something beyond her control, he knew because he met her when she was at that stage. He met her when she’s about to give up on her life. And he swears to God, he will find the person who made her life difficult.

 

He just parked his car when he noticed a woman in front of his apartment.

 

“May I help you?” He asked but was surprised to see a very familiar face. Suddenly, all the hatred and anger that he felt for this person came back.

 

“O-Oppa.” The woman nervously said.

 

“I think, I made myself clear to you, last time, that I don’t want to see your face anymore.” He said passing by her but she grabbed his shirt.

 

“At least hear my explanation, I’m begging you. Just hear my explanation and if you still feel the same, I won’t bother you anymore.”

 

“Just stop it HyunJae-ssi!” He glared at her, he then removed her hands and continued to walk.

 

“I didn’t plan the announcement of my engagement with YongHwa Oppa.”HyunJae said, he stopped from walking.

 

“We were both surprised when my father told that to the press on his birthday party.” She added facing JiHoo’s back.

 

“W-Why are you telling me this?” he asked still not looking at her. He felt that HyunJae took a step closer.

 

“Because I know that’s the reason why you suddenly put an end to our relationship. Why you suddenly stop getting in touch with me. I tried to look for you and explain everything, I knew that you only misunderstood us and you felt betrayed so YongHwa told me to just wait a little more time.” He finally turned around to face HyunJae only to see her crying. She wiped her tears.

 

“Maybe when you get calmer you’ll realize that it’s just a misunderstanding. He advised me not to bother you yet, because nothing good will happen if you are still mad and he was right, so I waited for your message Oppa, but after a year, when I still didn’t hear anything from you, I made my decision, I followed you to L.A. But I was surprised when I saw you going out of a boutique with a girl. I don’t know who the girl was as I was far from your place at that time but what shocked me even more was the way you held her hands.” HyunJae sobs harder this time.

 

JiHoo realized that maybe the girl that she saw was Seohyun. He went back to L.A with Seohyun to have a vacation, two months after being officially together. “At that time, I realized that maybe, you really have no plans of calling me, and maybe you really thought I betrayed you. So I tried to forget you. I really did my best.” She added in between her sobs.

 

“There’s no use in telling those things to me. I am not interested to know about that anymore.”

 

“B-But maybe you might want to know why we still had to continue pretending until now.” HyunJae grabbed his hands.

 

She heaved a sigh holding his hands tightly scared that he might hate her even more.

 

“M-Mr. Chiu, Do you still remember him?” Just by hearing his name, suddenly he felt like all his intestines curled up, he remembered how that bastard molested this girl in front of him. He closed his fist tightly.

 

“What about him?” He asked trying to show that he was not affected.

 

“He threatened me and Appa, he told me that he has the video of how he molested me. He will show it to the public and he’ll make me look like I was the one who seduced him, he scared me that he will bring our business down if I didn’t marry him.”

 

She covered with her hand to avoid a loud sobs to come out. Her heart suddenly became so painful remembering the past.

 

“And since I knew that you will never come back, I already made a decision to marry him so he will stop bugging me and my family. But then, YongHwa Oppa stopped me, he said he will took care of everything. He promised me that Mr. Chiu will pay for what he did to me.” HyunJae wiped her tears and took a deep breath before continuing.

 

“True to his words, he did everything to make him pay. He was sent in prison without even affecting our business and our family. But that old man just won’t stop, he keeps on sending me death threats, of course, he might be in prison but his people can still do his orders, on his last threat, he warned me that he will not stop not until I get married. So that’s why we continued the plan until now.”

 

JiHoo can’t believe everything that he has heard. HyunJae really suffered a lot. He can’t stop from thinking that he was the reason why HyunJae experienced those things. He knew Hyunjae since they were highschool, more than anyone else he must be the one who should understand her yet he was the one who judged and concluded easily. How can he judge her easily? When he watched the news about her engagement with YongHwa, he was hurt, HyunJae was right, he thought that they betrayed him for he didn’t know that they will announced the engagement. It was not in their plan actually. And because of that, he decided to stopped talking to her, he ended their relationship without even asking her reasons. He was so scared at that time. He was scared that HyunJae might be falling in love with her childhood friend during that time.

 

‘Oh God, What did I do?’ He thought as he was watching HyunJae crying. Suddenly the wind blows and HyunJae crossed her arms because of the sudden cold that she felt.

 

“I-It’s getting cold here. Let’s go inside.” He said and he ushered her to follow him.

 

When they got inside, he immediately gave HyunJae a hot choco. HyunJae smiled when she saw what’s inside the cup.

 

“You still remembered.” She whispered but enough for him to hear. He just looked away to avoid her gaze. Yes, he can still remember that hot chocolate is her favorite drink especially during cold weather.

 

 

“He’s a nice guy Oppa. It’s just a pity that you weren’t able to meet him, I hope one day you can meet him and his real girlfriend.”

 

“Girlfriend?” Then he remembers that this YongHwa had a girlfriend before but if his memory was right, they already broke up.

 

“Ne. I made a terrible mistake. I was the reason why they broke up, I don’t have a choice at that time. So I blackmailed his girlfriend so she’ll leave him and I can do our plan. But I know I was wrong. I hurt you and Seohyun.”

 

Seohyun. How can the word YongHwa and Seohyun be so common in Korea? But he knew that the YongHwa and Seohyun they are talking about are different from the YongHwa and Seohyun that he knew. He suddenly remembered her. Suddenly his heart beat faster.

 

“HyunJae, look, I really don’t know—“

 

“We called off the wedding.” HyunJae cut him off that surprised him. How can she put her life in danger?! He knew that the moment she called off the wedding Mr. Chiu will be back.

 

“MWORAGO?! How about Mr.Chiu—“

 

“He passed away just last month. I know because my friend was the attending physician who operated him.” He felt relief upon knowing what happened to the man who made her life miserable.

 

“H-He’s gone? B-But why did you called off the wedding?”

 

“As I have said, he wanted his girlfriend back, so pretending that we’re still engaged will not help him and I want him to be happy. They’ve been separated for how many years because of me.”

 

“There are really people who are willing to do everything just to make the one they love happy.” He whispered. ‘Even if that everything will hurt them’ He thought.

 

“Ne?” Hyunjae asked

 

“N-Nothing.”

 

“Oppa, I’m happy, now that I tell you the truth, I’m so happy, whether you’ll accept me or not, I don’t care anymore. I just felt relieved now that you already know what really happened. I just hope you will still believe me, I really want us to start again but I know that it will not be possible, right? You’re girlfriend, whoever she is, she’s very lucky.” Hyunjae puts down her cup. She can’t tell him yet that she knows who is his girlfriend already. ‘It’s not yet the right time’. She thought.

 

“I-It’s getting really late. I’m happy I was able to talk to you today. Thank you for listening. I need to go now.” HyunJae gave him a bow before she walked to the door.

 

JiHoo froze the moment he saw her walking. ‘It’s now or never. I’m sorry Seohyun, please forgive me.’ He thought as he stands and stopped HyunJae from walking. He grabbed her arm and hugged her really tight.

 

HyunJae was caught off guard with what he did that she stayed there motionless but she can already hear her heart beat pumping so fast.

 

“O-Oppa..”

 

“Kajima..” He whispered as he hugged her. HyunJae was speechless, she didn’t expect that JiHoo will still accept her after all that happened. She hugged him back.

 

She was about to say something when she heard JiHoo speak. “Stay with me and let’s both take this risk. This time, I will fight for you.” HyunJae din’t utter any word, she just hugged him while a tear fell from her eyes.

 

 

“Thank you Oppa. Saranghaeyo.” She said in between her sobs.

 

JiHoo at that time knew that what he’s about to do is wrong, he knew that he will hurt Seohyun but he can’t deny the fact that he still love HyunJae, no matter how he denied it, he still loves her and he was such a coward and stupid for letting her go but this time, he’s ready to fight for her even if he will hurt the woman who taught him how to fight for what he think is right. Seohyun. ‘Mianhe Seohyun-ah. Jeongmal Mianhe.’ He said to himself before he finally uttered the word that will change their lives.

 

“Na do Saranghae, Hyunjae-ah.”

 

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

HyunJae stayed there for the whole week, he planned to tell Seohyun the truth the day after his birthday. He still continued talking to her over the phone or sometimes through video call as if nothing happened, as if everything is fine. HyunJae on the other hand didn’t complain about this. She even didn’t ask so much about her. He was tempted to tell Seohyun the truth, yet the image of her being hurt scared him. They both knew that what he’s doing is wrong but how can this wrong feels so right? He feels like everything is so perfect and fine with HyunJae not until the night of his birthday came. Seohyun saw them inside their bedroom, both were . That was the first time HyunJae and him made love after so many years, everything seems fine if only Seohyun didn’t found out. Fear, that what he felt when he saw Seohyun entered the room. Anger, that what he saw from Seohyun’s eyes.

 

“It will not hurt this way, if it’s another girl. BUT WHY HER?! SHE’S YONGHWA OPPA’S FIANCEE!”

 

He closed his eyes as he remembered what Seohyun said. How can be the YongHwa that HyunJae and Seohyun knew  be only one person?! How can he be so stupid to think that they are two different people. Then he remembered HyunJae’s reaction.

 

“Does she know? Why she didn’t tell me if she already knows? Why HyunJae, why? ” He was talking to himself while riding in a taxi going to the Airport.

 

He looked outside the window. Today, must be the day where he was about to tell Seohyun the truth. But instead, Seohyun found it out beforehand. He looked up and run his hand through his hair.

 

“Stay with me and let’s both take this risk. This time, I will fight for you.”

 

He remembered what he told HyunJae before they decided to get back together.

 

“How can I fight for you when you keep on hiding things from me?” A tear suddenly escaped from his eyes.

 

. “I made a terrible mistake. I was the reason why they broke up.”

 

JiHoo closed his fist tightly. Suddenly he wanted someone to punch him. “So we are the reason why Seohyun did that to YongHwa? I am part of her sufferings? How can we be so selfish?”

 

He wiped his tears and sat straight. ‘I will make everything right this time.’ He thought as he went down from the taxi. He reaches the airport.

 

 

 

It’s Monday and Seohyun, despite of what happened to her weekend woke up early to prepare for her work. Life must go on, that’s what she realized last night after thinking of what happened. JiHoo cheated on her but her life must go on. Just because he cheated on her doesn’t mean that she will ruin her life,too. No, she will never do that again. She already did that when she left YongHwa but she realized that there’s still too much to see even without him. JiHoo let her realized that, how ironic that the man who let her realized that is the man who hurt her, big time now.

 

“Will you fight for him? What if HyunJae just set him up? At least hear his explanation.”

 

She remembered what YoonA asked her last night before the woman went home. It’s possible that she will listen to his explanation but not now. She’s not yet ready to see him not even talk to him. What he did is still fresh from her memory and no matter how many times she tell herself that she’s fine, she know she’s not.

 

“Fight for him? After what they did to me? I can forgive him but what we had will only stay in the past now. I won’t fight for him anymore. I will always remember how he wasted our four year relationship. He wasted everything.” She remembered her answer to YoonA.

 

Seohyun doesn’t have a plan of talking to HyunJae or JiHoo, or even asking them why they did that. If that’s what they want then so be it. She doesn’t care anymore, she know how HyunJae hated her that’s why she did that. She just didn’t knew that HyunJae will reach to this point.

 

“Pathetic.” She whispered as she recalls what she saw in Jeju. She shook her head. It’s Monday and she doesn’t want sad thoughts to begin her day. After all, she treats this as her second life.

 

“New life. A lot of better things will come your way JooHyun-ah. Hwaiting!” She smiled in front of the mirror as if nothing happened, as if she wasn’t hurting at all.

 

She grabbed her bag and keys and walked to her door.

 

“OMO! You scared me!” She saw a very surprised Jung Yong Hwa who was about to knock the door when she opened it. He is wearing a light brown suit and pants, all ready for work.

 

“Where do you think are you going, Miss Seo?” YongHwa asked in a serious tone.

 

“Err, to work Hwejangnim? What are you doing here at this hour? You should be driving your way to your office.” She tried to smile.

 

“You aren’t going anywhere without me. I came here to ask you to have a breakfast with me. But since you’re ready, let’s go BUT no work today.”

 

“What?! What—Wait!” She didn’t manage to finish her sentence as Yonghwa hurriedly grabbed her hands.

 

“What do you mean NO WORK?! It’s Monday. I’ve never been absent on a Monday.” Seohyun said when they are inside the elevator.

 

“Miss Seo, may I ask you a question?” YongHwa said calmly, he puts his hands on his pocket.

 

“N-Ne?” She was confused, she gulped when Yonghwa turned to her side.

 

“Between the two of us, who’s the boss in the company?” He asked with a serious face.

 

“Ne? O-Of course you—“

 

“Then if I say there’s no work today that means you have to follow me, no more buts. Just shut up and follow me or I’ll kiss you here in the elevator until your lips become swollen. I’m sure you don’t want that to happen,right?” YongHwa smirked seeing her reaction.

 

Seohyun’s eyes grow bigger upon hearing with what he said. How can he say those words as if it’s so normal to say that.

 

“Oppa, I’m just heartbroken, I’m not sick. I can really work today.” Seohyun said. They are inside the coffee shop near the company. She is convincing YongHwa to allow her to go to work.

 

 

”Andwae!” YongHwa then put some shrimp on her pasta.

 

“But Oppa, I need to do something. If I just stayed and do nothing, I will just remember what happened.”

 

YongHwa then looked at her.

 

“Please?”

 

He heaved a sigh. “Ahrasso. But don’t force yourself too much.” Seohyun then smiled as if she just won a game.

 

“Stop smiling. Don’t pretend you’re happy when in fact you’re not. Stop pretending, at least in front of me. It only hurts me.” YongHwa said without looking at her.

 

She bit her lips and holds his hands, YongHwa then looked straight to her eyes, surprised by what she did.

 

“Thank you Oppa. I know this is not easy for you, too. But really, thank you.” Seohyun smiled. A first genuine smile that she did after what happened.

 

She was just grateful that through all the pain that she is feeling right now, YongHwa was there, at least, she wasn’t alone now. She felt YongHwa held her hands tightly and she believes everything will be fine as long as he’s by her side.

 

It was already an hour before lunch break when they reached the company.

 

“Seohyun-ah.” They are about to enter a lift when she heard that familiar voice. At first she thought that she was just hallucinating but when she heard it the second time, she thought that her heart is going to explode. She hold YongHwa’s hands so tight because if she didn’t she doesn’t know if she can even stand.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!?!”

 

“OPPA!!!”

 

Seohyun was shocked with what YongHwa did next upon seeing JiHoo. He grabbed him by his collar and punch him. JiHoo fell down immediately, blood are flowing form his mouth.

 

“Oppa!!!” She stopped YongHwa as he was about to attacked JiHoo again.

 

“Jebal..Keumanhe…Hajima, Oppa..Jebal..” She hugged YongHwa to stop him from attacking JiHoo. YongHwa just closed his fist tightly. He is literally mad and one punch is not enough. He knew that it was not enough but he needs to stop because he doesn’t want to see Seohyun crying again because of JiHoo.

 

 

Author's Note:

 

Okay, this note will be long but just in case you are confuse (because I got confuse while writing this, good thing my dearest Sab and Elaii are there to enlighten me.LOL)

 

Anyway, just to clear everything, JiHoo doesn't know that the YongHwa whom Seohyun left was the same YongHwa who pretended to be HyunJae's fiancee. He didn't had a chance to meet YongHwa because I think I remember writing here that JiHoo went abroad immediately to study since HyunJae's father doesn't like him.

 

And as for HyunJae, she didn't know that JiHoo is dating Seohyun not until she saw them at the lobby.

 

So I hope you guys are not confused with the story characters. Anyway, this story is almost finished. Thank you so much to everyone who are reading this story as well as those who keeps on posting their comments here. I may not reply but believe me I am reading all of them and it really made me happy. Thank you so much guys. To be honest, MAPLS should be my first and last story in AFF but because of your support, I might write a new story after this.

 

Special thanks to Ayudiaz Syailendra Adams, chingu, thank you for patiently waiting. To jasmine_arielle,thikaa,julie-61,remh25,soshi5,henny_boice,annabelle7,lovecnsd14,ririri,luvshata,chadal193 thank you guys for showing your interest to MAPLS. Your comments are really appreciated.

 

To Sab and Elaii, Thank you dongsaengs, for all the feedback that you gave me. You guys don't know how important your feedback to me. Mianhe if JiHoo stressed you. I love you girls.