The Boy and The Girl

The Boy and The Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It seemed like a miracle that I could even open my eyes, well barely.

Everything seemed so bright, too bright.

Am I still in the gym? Or am I in heaven?

All I heard was lots and lots of mumbling and noises as I lied motionless on something that didn’t feel like the ground anymore. I was moving with something covering me, a blanket? Maybe?

I was really beyond confused but didn’t bother thinking much about it.

“Ara… Ara… You’ll be okay… You’ll be okay… I’m here…”

It’s D.O’s voice. I finally heard his voice after so long. I know he’s beside me, somewhere. He’s safe, I think.

I wanted to find where he was exactly but couldn’t seem to move at all.

Wait, no, no, no! Did he come to heaven with me?!

He suddenly picked up my right hand, I felt it. It seemed… real.

His hands were warm, big, comforting, just the way I remembered them to be.

He then placed my hand by his face. It was wet, he must be crying.

What’s going on? Am I hallucinating?

“Hang in there Ara, please!”

It’s Chunghei’s voice. She’s also here.

I couldn’t believe it.

Can I possibly still be alive?

“You guys need to stay outside.”

Who’s voice does this belong to? I don’t recognize it.

No! Don’t let go of me D.O. I’m scared.

His hands unwillingly released mine when I wanted to keep holding onto his but clearly I didn’t have the strength to.

Whatever I went into was extremely quiet and next thing you know, I stopped as a whole.

An even brighter light shot directly down at me.

Voices immediately came again.

They surrounded me.

“Put a mask on her”

What… what mask? I don’t want it!

I then saw hands with gloves, I believe. It wrapped around my head leaving a clear plastic cup on my nose and mouth.

Slowly, I felt cool air coming in and…

And… 

 

No one’s POV

 

3 hours later, the light on top of the surgical room turned off.

D.O, EXO and Chunghei all bombarded the doctor as soon as he came out.

“How is she?!” D.O frantically asked along with the others.

The doctor removed his mouth mask and handed it to the nurse beside him.

“The surgery went well.”

Everyone was relieved.

D.O almost collapsed from how tense he’s been this entire time. He closed his eyes and thanked God.

“If the bullet went an inch more to the right, she would’ve died on the spot. Lucky girl.”

Everyone’s heart dropped, literally. They couldn’t have imagined…

“When will she wake up?” Chunghei asked worriedly.

She watched as the doctor’s expression changed. She didn’t like it one bit.

“I can’t tell you. The bullet may have missed her heart but the impact she took on her head was enough to keep her unconscious for who knows when. A week? A month? A year? 10 years? We don’t know.”

Right after hearing the doctor’s words, Chunghei covered with both hands and sobbed hard from the bottom of her heart.  Baekhyun, as sad as he was, took Chunghei into his arms and let her cry on his shoulder.

D.O couldn’t help himself but to take a few steps back, stunned. Not even knowing himself, a tear rolled down his cheeks as he just stared at the ground.

The rest of EXO quickly caught him. They all had teary eyes hearing the news.

“I’m sorry…” the doctor patted D.O’s shoulders. “She seems like she has strong will though, perhaps a miracle will happen for her and you guys” he then walked away.

D.O didn’t respond to anything or anyone.

His tears just kept falling to the ground.

 

An hour later, Ara was transferred into a special hospital room. No one could go in without permission or wearing proper hygienic attire which includes a full sanitary suit, booties, mask and cap. It was also only one person at a time.

EXO and Chunghei were all standing outside watching through the clear window as D.O kneeled by Ara’s side while holding her hand. His eyes couldn’t leave her.

“Ara… can you hear me? It’s… It’s me…” D.O’s lips trembled as his eyes got teary once again.

Chunghei noticed and couldn’t help her inner feelings. Why do they have to end up like this?

She leaned into Baekhyun’s embrace again. Baekhyun had to look up to not let his tears fall.

Ara just lied there on the bed. Motionless. She had so many needles and monitors hook on her arms that it was horrific to even watch. The mask on her ever so swollen and bruised face was the only thing keeping her breathing normal. And the screen showing her heart rate was the thing D.O counted on to never stop.

“We… We still have so much to do… I haven’t told you... that… that… I love you…”

By now, D.O just lowered his head, closed his eyes and cried with her hand touching his forehead.

Everyone cried with him on the outside; even her parents that finally arrived to find their loving daughter in this condition.

When D.O saw them, he gently placed her hand down and headed out the room.

He took the mask off and kneeled directly in front of her parents.

He bowed with his head on the ground, “mianhe, it’s all my fault… if It wasn’t for me, Ara… Ara wouldn’t have gotten hurt. It’s my fault for not protecting her… mianhe… mianhe…”

Ara’s parents immediately grabbed D.O and stood him up. Although they really couldn’t help the sadness and sorrow within themselves but they didn’t blame D.O at all.

“Thank… thank you for sending Ara here…” Ara’s omma said to D.O.

Ara’s appa then patted D.O’s shoulder, “my daughter is a strong girl; I know she’ll wake up.”

D.O nodded slightly and turned back to watch Ara.

His girl will wake up, he knows it.

 

Day 2

No one left the hospital last night. Everyone stayed by Ara’s side.

The boys including Chunghei and Ara’s parents at least closed their eyes for a bit but D.O had his full attention on Ara the whole time.

“Here” Kai who woke up and left to buy food handed D.O a sandwich.

D.O shook his head.

Kai sighed and forcefully placed it in D.O’s hands.

D.O looked up at him.

“You already didn’t let the nurses treat your own wounds last night nor did you sleep at all, do you really want to collapse? If you do, who will take care of Ara?”

D.O blinked a couple times and looked at the others who were worried about him. He looked at Ara through the window then back at Kai. He was right, “thanks…” D.O quietly said.

Kai patted his shoulder, “there’s the D.O I know.” He then went on to passing food out to Ara’s parents and the rest. 

 

Day 3

Some had left to refresh but D.O continued on without sleeping and eating anymore.

Chunghei and Baekhyun came back a couple hours later bringing D.O food.

She crouched down to D.O’s eye level, “eat this, Ara’s omma made it for you.”

D.O cautiously took it into his hands and just stared at the delicate box of home-made food.

“She doesn’t want anything to happen to you either, so please” Chunghei begged.

D.O was touched, really.

He opened up the box and took a bite.

Chunghei smiled lightly and looked up at Baekhyun. They both nodded, relieved.

 

Day 4

“You should go home D.O-ah. At least sleep for a bit, refresh then come back. The boys and I are here to watch after Ara” Baekhyun said.

Xiumin, Chanyeol, Lay, Luhan, Sehun and Chen all nodded in agreement.

“No, I’m not leaving her side” D.O insisted.

“You’ve been in the same clothes, haven’t washed up, haven’t slept. What if Ara does wake up? What will she think? You’re only making her more worried hyung” Sehun convinced.

D.O didn’t respond.

“Sehun’s right, if you continue on like this you’ll crash” Chanyeol added.

D.O still didn’t respond.

“Don’t you trust us? If she does wake up, we’ll call you immediately” Xiumin promised.

D.O really doesn’t want to leave her side but he also doesn’t want to become another person for them to worry about. So he stood up and walked close to the window.

He placed his hand on the glass and whispered, “I’ll be back Ara.”

 

Day 5

“Omma, Appa…” D.O stood up immediately after seeing his parents, surprised.

His parents had been out of the city even before the whole in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter