Miracle

The Boy and The Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Flashback (No one’s POV) continued.

It was the summer after Ara’s first year in university and she had already started working for Mrs. Lee.

Ara thought it was going to be another peaceful, easygoing day…

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow okay Ara?” Mrs. Lee happily said as she looks for the keys in her purse to lock up.

Ara grasps the strap of her shoulder bag, “ne, Mrs Lee. I’ll be going now.”

Mrs. Lee looks up for a second just to smile and wave goodbye.

Ara smiled back and bowed a little before heading on her way.

 

It was still bright from the blazing sun after Ara got off work as it is the summer. This also gave her the option to walk home instead of taking the bus to save money which is a plus.

Right after she crossed the street she noticed a petite grandma pushing a cart filled with heavy cardboard so she immediately runs to help her. It’s not like it’s her first time helping a stranger anyways.

“Ha…halmoni, le… let me he… help you” Ara quietly said with her head down as she already had her hands on the cart.

Halmoni was impressed by this young girl, “o, you’re such a kind little lady. Thank you!” Halmoni then dabbed her sweaty forehead with the back of her wrist letting Ara take over.

Ara still had her head down, “no wor… worries, this wa… way ri… right?”

“O! Just into this alley, I have to go collect more cardboard to recycle for money.”

“Mo… money?” Ara curiously asked before turning in.

“Ne… my little grandson’s dream had always been to be able to get into a good university and become a doctor one day. Unfortunately this poor child’s parents, meaning my son and daughter in law passed away early leaving me to take care of him alone. I thought that if I can go out and make as much money as possible now, I’ll have enough to support him so he can just focus in school not having any financial barriers.”

Ara was touched, “do… don’t worry hal… halmoni, I know it… it’ll all wo… work out fo… for you and your gra… grandson.”

Halmoni smiled, “ne, I hope so too young lady.”

Ara continued pushing the heavy cart into the empty and dirty alley. And to be honest, it was even heavy for her to handle but she didn’t seem to mind at all, as long as she knows that she’s helping out halmoni, she’s happy.

And that’s Song Ara for you, it’ll never change.

Thankfully, the stack of cardboard wasn’t sitting too far into the alley making it easier for her.

“Hal… halmoni, I’ll go ge… get them for you… you sit he… here and rest” Ara said as she adjusted the cart off to the side. Halmoni nodded and crouched down resting her legs for a bit while Ara walked over to pile and started picking them up piece by piece.

As she gathered more and more leaving only a couple of big pieces, she realized that something was definitely not right. “AHHHH!” Ara suddenly screamed and dropped all of the ones she had already picked up. She saw a bloody hand poking out and exposed on the ground.

Hearing Ara scream, Halmoni quickly rushed over and looked only to find a person lying under all of the cardboard with blood all over him.

“A… a dead body!!!” halmoni yelled in fear.

Seeing halmoni freak out and on the edge of fainting, Ara immediately had to hold on tight to her hands. “Omo… omo… omo…” halmoni continued mumbling.

Ara was about to pull out her phone to call the police until it suddenly moved making both her and halmoni jump again, “AHHH!”

His clothes were torn and ripped while his messy hair covered past his eyes. His scrubby facial hair made him look extra sketchy; I know, it definitely doesn’t sound like D.O but trust me, it is.

He looked up seeing Ara and halmoni scared less leaning themselves as close to the wall as possible.

Although D.O had come to where he’s at now but his heart is still the same: soft and kind. He really hates scaring people so he would avoid them at all cost. Which was why he used all that cardboard to cover himself as no one usually cares to pick them up anyways. But of course, he failed this time.

He sluggishly stood up and slowly made his way out of the alley while having to lean against the wall every couple of steps to support his broken leg from the beating not too long before Ara and halmoni found him.

When he passed by Ara and halmoni silently, they flinched.

But as Ara watched him leave, her sympathetic nature was surprisingly dug up. She was worried about this ‘ahjussi’.

 

The next day after work Ara cautiously went back to the same alley and peeked in. The Song Ara at this time was still the nervous, extremely shy and quiet girl but that didn’t mean it forbidden her from helping out those in need. She’s obviously scared which was why she decided to see whether it was safe for her to approach this ‘ahjussi’.

D.O was indeed back to where he was yesterday. He was sitting against the wall while eating out of a to-go container with some leftover food others have trashed along with a bottle of whiskey by his side.

Honestly, Ara still couldn’t convince herself to help out this ‘ahjussi’ until she saw something she felt so heartwarming.

A bunch of not even a month old golden retriever puppies came out of nowhere at the other end of the alley and struggled to walk themselves over to D.O. Their mother wasn’t by their side and their caved in bellies told D.O that they haven’t ate in a long time.

Although he was hungry, but he couldn’t help but to stop eating and offered the container to the center so the puppies could dig in and eat for themselves. He watched and gently petted them as he chugged his whiskey.

That was when Ara made up her mind and left.

 

Ten minutes later she came back with a bag of steamed buns she had bought using her own money.

She noticed that D.O had covered himself again while the puppies continued to stay by his side.

Ara thought of this as a good opportunity. She quietly walked in and silently crouched down to place the bag of buns right beside D.O making sure he’ll see them when he wakes up.

She then smiled when a puppy ran by her foot asking her to pet it.

 

It was Saturday and Ara walked in the direction of the alley just like she has been doing for the past week. She told Chunghei about this ‘ahjussi’ and how she’s been delivering food to him almost every day but Chunghei’s reaction was: “Ara! Those people have hands and feet, they can go work and buy food themselves. All you’re doing now is spoiling them! Plus, it’s dangerous you know? What if he’s a bad person and attacks you one day?”

Perhaps Chunghei is right but in Ara’s mind she really doesn’t mind spending those couple of dollars to feed the homeless. She believes that this ‘ahjussi’ must have a reason to not be able to support himself and ended up living on the streets. She wants to help.

Ara did what she would usually do first, peek into the alley.

But this time only the puppies were spotted and no D.O.

Ara looked down at the bag of food and thought that she could just leave it there for him until he gets back but when she was about to step in, a voice came from directly behind her.

“You don’t have to do this, you know?”

Ara looked back and immediately jumped a meter away. It was D.O.

She held the bag of food by her chest as her hands shook uncontrollably, “ah… ah… ahjussi!”

D.O chuckled, “ahjussi?”

He drank from the bottle of vodka before walking past Ara and into the alley.

The smell of alcohol absolutely reeked off him and it was unbearable to Ara as she watched him walk further away from her.

“Ah… ahjussi!” Ara suddenly yelled. D.O stopped.

She offered the bag of food in front of her and lowered her head, “even if… if you do… don’t eat it… the… the pup… puppies ne… need to eat.”

D.O glanced at the poor puppies that haven’t left his side yet and then back at Ara.

He really couldn’t understand what was going on in this girl’s mind. Normal people would stay away from him as much as possible, especially seeing the bloodstains on his clothes. But not only did Ara not do this, she still cared to deliver him food every day. Is she not scared or what?

D.O took another mouthful of vodka before walking back to Ara.

She jumped when he grabbed the food out of her hand,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter