Chapter 8

Into a New World?

 

Chunji plugged in his earphones and ignored the two chattering girls in the car. He showed no emotion to Sunny who was constantly throwing him flirty looks and batting her eyelashes.

 

They reached the mall after a few minutes. Jessica and Sunny hopped out of the car enthusiastically while Chunji remained glued to his seat.

 

“Chunji oppa! Aren’t you coming along?” Sunny asked with her chirpy voice.

 

Chunji shook his head and showed her a forced smile.

 

“But, you have to!” she exclaimed, tugging on his arm.

 

“Yeah, you have to come with us, Chunji!” Jessica agreed.

 

“Fine.” He mumbled and sighed.

 

Chunji dragged his feet behind the two happy girls. He pouted and crossed his arms, he was obviously not happy about going out. “I’d rather be staying home with that derp.” He thought to himself.

 

And just at that moment, his phone vibrated. It was a message from Chanyeol.

 

“Oh my, oppa! Was that your phone?” Sunny asked. “Is it your girlfriend?”

 

“Erm…no, it’s just Chanyeol, I don’t have a girlfriend…” Chunji answered awkwardly.

 

Sunny’s eyes rounded at the fact that Chunji was single. “Oppa!” she said once again, “I can give you my number if you want,” she batted her eyelashes cutely.

 

“No need for that…” Chunji said slowly. He was about to read the message that Chanyeol had sent him but his phone rang again. It was Chanyeol calling him.

 

“Hello?” Chunji said.

 

“Where are you?!” Chanyeol shouted.

 

“I’m out with Jessica and her friend…Sun-something,”

 

“I think you really need to come home now. Your kitchen is on fire an-“

 

“WHAT?” Chunji shouted, “What the hell happened? My parents are so gonna kill me when they find out. Oh my god! What did you do?”

 

“Chill man! You haven’t even let me finish my sentence yet! I don’t know what exactly happened but… I came home and went to sleep then I smelt something burning and I started freaking out….”

 

“And?!”

 

“I went to check and I saw that the oven had black smoke coming out of it! I called the fire department immediately… I almost broke the phone because I was so petrified… you have to come back now!” Chanyeol cried.

 

“The oven caused the fire?” Chunji asked, “That’s weird…we never even use the oven...”

 

“I know!” Chanyeol sobbed, “That’s why I was so scared! I thought that there were bad people breaking in and maybe they wanted to bake something but forgot to take it out…”

 

Chunji face-palmed himself when he heard that. Chanyeol had a mind of a child. “Chanyeol… I don’t think any burglars would wanna bake food at people’s houses…”

 

“Oh, but…what if-“

 

“I’m coming back right now, okay? Just wait for me.” Chunji said before hanging up the phone.

 

He jogged up to Jessica and Sunny; who were looking at the show times for the movies. “Erm…Jessica, I need to go home now…”

 

“What? Why? Is everything okay?” Jessica asked, surprised.

 

“Yeah, I just need to go check on Chanyeol and stuff. Here,” Chunji handed Jessica his phone, “You can use my phone to call the driver later after you finish the movie.”

 

“Oh no, we can go home with you if you want!” Jessica offered.

 

“It’s alright, I kinda need to handle this alone… you know how Chanyeol can be…”

 

“Okay then! See you later!”

 

Chunji ran out of the mall and went back home immediately. He didn’t want to waste a second. For all he knows, Chanyeol could be on the floor throwing a tantrum and flipping all the tables. Or maybe he already has…

 

Meanwhile at home, Chanyeol was crouched up in the corner of his dark bedroom, hugging his knees waiting for Chunji to come back. He heard the front door open and gripped on his legs tighter.

 

Chunji barged in through the door and found Chanyeol in that position. “CHUNJI!!! FINALLY!!” Chanyeol screamed and got up and ran to Chunji to envelope him in a big bear hug.

 

“Um…Chanyeol, I don’t think I can breathe very well if you hug me like that…” Chunji mumbled.

 

Chanyeol let go of Chunji immediately and apologized, “Oh god, I’m so sorry!”

 

“It’s okay, Chanyeol.”

 

“I was so scared, I cried so much! I’m such a loser!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

 

“No, no, you’re not a loser!” Chunji comforted him, “It’s okay! I would’ve cried too if I were here!”

 

Chanyeol pulled Chunji into another bear hug and they looked like they were on some kind of emotional soap opera where everyone just cries.

 

On the other side of town, Jessica and Sunny were already inside the cinema watching one of the newest released movies. Jessica was really amazed by the cinema while Sunny was really amazed that Chunji gave Jessica his phone just like that.

 

“How did the two of them even meet?” Sunny wondered to herself. Jessica and Chunji seemed like really close friends from what she observed. “And they live together! That’s even worse!”

 

“Psst, Jessica!” Sunny whispered, making Jessica turn her attention to her.

 

“What?” she mouthed.

 

“Can I borrow Chunji’s phone? I need to go out and make a quick call to my mom telling her where I’m at right now or else she’ll probably freak out.” Sunny said.

 

Jessica nodded, oblivious to what Sunny’s real intentions were. She handed over the phone and Sunny hopped out of the cinema happily.

 

Once outside, Sunny punched in her phone number into Chunji’s phone and called herself. She saved his number and smiled to herself. She headed back into the cinema and casually gave Jessica back Chunji’s phone.

 

“Thanks.” She said.

 

“How did the call go?” Jessica asked.

 

“She was fine with it. She said I could even stay over if I wanted to.” Sunny whispered back.

 

“Oh! That would be so great! I’ll just have to ask Chunji about it later, I’m sure we’ll have tons of fun together!” Jessica exclaimed in a tone of voice which was too loud for the cinema.

 

“Sssh! Shut up! Be quiet I’m trying to watch a movie here!” were just some of the words that were thrown around the cinema after Jessica’s little outburst of joy. She giggled to herself and silently apologized.