Chapter 14

Into a New World?

Note : This is a double update so if you haven't read the previous chapter, go back to Chapter 13. :D


 

 

“Hmm… do you think Chunji oppa would like this?” Sunny spun around the mirror in the shop as she admired the dress that she was currently trying on.

 

“Of course he would! I like it, too,” Jessica said as she looked Sunny from head to toe, “It makes you look very elegant and womanly. Like you’re going t-“

 

“Womanly?” Sunny snapped suddenly, “Are you serious? If it makes me look womanly then I’m not going to get it.”

 

“Why not?” Jessica raised her brows in confusion.

 

“I mean, isn’t womanly another word for like… fat or something?” Sunny shrugged, “Well, I don’t know, whenever someone says womanly, it reminds me of those fat old housewives who goes to grocery shopping every evening because they have nothing better to do.”

 

“I don’t think you’re fat or anything like that!” Jessica said quickly, “I said it looks elegant on you!”

 

“Yeah, elegant and womanly,” Sunny emphasized, “Whatever, just forget about that dress. I’ll go try on another one. Hopefully, it would be less womanly.”

 

Jessica sighed and slumped back into the soft cushiony chair. Sunny had decided that they would go out shopping after school because apparently Sunny wanted to take Chanyeol, Chunji and Jessica out to dinner to ‘bond’ with them.

 

That dress was the umpteenth dress that Sunny had tried on that afternoon. Jessica’s was numb and her eyes were exhausted.

 

The dress has too much ruffles!”

 

“This dress is too short!”

 

“This dress is too long!”

 

“This dress isn’t in the right shade of pink that I want!”

 

“This dress is too frilly for my taste! Get it away from me!”

 

“This dress makes me look like an overcooked muffin in an oven!”

 

“The pattern on this dress looks so complicated, it might blind Chunji and Chanyeol oppa, I don’t want that!”

 

Those were just some of the complaints that Sunny had made that afternoon. Jessica wasn’t even sure why she had agreed to come along with her. She sighed, again and closed her eyes for a brief moment.

 

Like, very brief.

 

“Jessica!” She heard Sunny’s voice shrieking, “What are you doing? Are you sleeping? Is that why you told me that I was womanly? Come on, we don’t have time to sleep, okay? I’m taking you guys out tomorrow night and I need to look perfect! I mean, we haven’t even got to do my hair and makeup yet!”

 

Jessica opened her eyes abruptly once she heard Sunny’s voice and sat up straight. “Oh, what?” she said groggily, “I’m sorry, I was just taking a small rest.”

 

“Small rest?” Sunny scoffed, “Do you think this is some kind of joke? Maybe to you it is but to me, it isn’t! I’ve been chasing Chunji for over a year now and this is a very big deal for me! I might even be in love with him, for all you know!” Sunny shouted.

 

Jessica jumped a bit when she heard Sunny raise her voice. She has never seen that side of her before. She thought that she was always happy and nice all the time.

 

“I’m sorry… I didn’t know…” she apologized, “How can I make things better?”

 

“First, tell me how this dress looks,” Sunny gestured to her own body, “And then after that, go over to that rack of clothes and choose what you think would look good on me so that I can try them on, okay?”

 

Jessica nodded and opened . “You look very good in this dress,” she smiled.

 

Instead of accepting the compliment and smiling back like what normal people would do, Sunny frowned even more as she looked at herself in the mirror. Something about that dress just wasn’t right.

 

“Are you just telling me that because you don’t want to go over there and choose another dress?” Sunny asked grumpily.

 

“No, no!” Jessica said quickly, “Not at all! I would be glad to go fetch you another dress! In fact, I’ll go right now!” Jessica scurried off in the other direction leaving Sunny fuming alone.

 

Jessica rang her fingers through the rack of clothes on sale. The clothes were brightly coloured, glittery and fancy. She herself had a hard time looking at them. She wondered how Sunny had the energy and effort to squeeze into the oh-so-tiny looking dresses.

 

She grabbed an ankle-length pink dress with a feathered collar in one hand and a deep midnight blue dress with a sweetheart neckline and gems embroided on the hemline.

 

“Hey, Sunny, I’ve picked out two dresses for you!” Jessica exclaimed when she walked back to the fitting room area.

 

“Well, took you long enough,” Sunny snapped, not even looking up from her phone as she extended her arm to Jessica, gesturing her to give her the dresses.

 

Sunny went into the fitting room without another word.

 

Jessica smiled blissfully and took a seat back on the very comfortable chair. Just as quick as her comfort came, it was snatched away from her when she heard a blood-curling scream coming from Sunny’s fitting room.

 

Jessica ran over to the door and knocked frantically.

 

“Sunny? Sunny? Are you okay? What happened?”

 

The door opened and revealed an infuriated Sunny. “What. On. Earth. Is. This?” She held up the pink dress and pointed at it.

 

“It-it’s the dress… I picked out for you…” Jessica said slowly, not sure what she did wrong.

 

“Are you ing kidding me?” Sunny growled through her gritted teeth, “Do you really think that I would wear this hideous piece of crap to go out on a dinner date?”

 

Jessica froze.

 

“This thing is so freaking ugly! I mean look at it, it’s ankle-length! That’s like so grandma style! And the pink isn’t even a nice shade. And I don’t even wanna start on the feathered collar! What do you think this is? The eighties or something? I’m pretty sure that they had better fashion taste than you back then!” Sunny shouted in Jessica’s face.

 

Hot tears started to gather in Jessica’s eyes. She did not like the feeling of being yelled at. Aside from that, she did not like disappointing people, either. And this was a 2-in-1 situation.

 

“Oh, so what are you gonna do about it now, huh? Just stand there and cry like a little baby because you don’t have enough fashion sense to be on this planet?” Sunny mocked, “Yeah, go do that!”

 

“I’m sorry…” Jessica said, barely a whisper.

 

“Just go home, I’m just going to take that womanly or whatever dress. I’ll pick you guys up tomorrow evening.” Sunny said coldly and stormed away.