Chapter 23

Into a New World?

"Have you already finished packing, young man? Where are your bags? How come you're still here wasting your time? You do realize that we do not own all the time in the world, right?" Chanyeol's mother nagged on, "I can't believe I have to call you my son."

 

"I'm sorry, mom," Chanyeol said, "I really need to get to my room and just check my bags... I left a lot of stuff at Chunji's place..."

 

"Chunji?" Chanyeol's father furrowed his brows, "The two of you are still friends? I don't think it's a very good idea that you two continue speaking. I've heard things about that child... and his father..." he squinted his eyes and glared into space.

 

"Dad, just because you don't like Chunji's dad doesn't mean that Chunji is the exact same person that he is, okay?"

 

"If that Chunji's kid's father were responsible, he wouldn't have allowed his son to live alone in a big city like this! Do you know how dangerous that is? Robberies are happening all around the corner, murderers run everywhere, rapists, people who harrass others just like you!" Chanyeol's father pointed directly at his son's face.

 

"I am not a ual predator!" Chanyeol defended himself for the hundredth time that day.

 

"Could the two of you just please stop the bickering?" Chanyeol's mother cut in their conversation, "Honey, don't you remember that we have that dinner to go to tonight? I need to go to the tailor's and pick up my dress before so we might need to hurry up a bit."

 

"Oh, yeah... that dinner..." Chanyeol's dad touched his chin thoughtfully, "Now, what are you waiting for, son? Go pack up your things so that we can leave immediately!"

 

"I just gotta um... look for my room number... I kinda forgot it..." Chanyeol said in a low voice, "I um... usually come from the back door so... um... I'm not used to the front entrance... um... stairs... yeah..."

 

"Oh, well then," Headmaster Lee popped out of nowhere suddenly and said, "You can just go over to that information counter and type your name in the computer. After that, your room number and room floor will show up. It's really helpful for visitors."

 

"Oh my god! Thank you so much Headmaster!" Chanyeol shouted out in relief. At least he was safe for now.

 

He had no idea how wrong he was.

 

When his parents and him got to his room, Chanyeol took a deep breath and punched in his lock code. The door unlocked and he pushed it open, praying in his heart that no one would be inside and everything would have been just like it was before. He shut his eyes tight and took a step in the room and almost fell on his face.

 

Trash was filled in every single corner of the room. Fast food wrappers were scattered everywhere, dirty socks and shirts were flung across the room, even soiled condoms were piled up in one corner of the room. The bed was almost unseen due to the amount of dirty laundry covering it. 

 

Chanyeol's parents' jaws almost dropped to the ground; but then again the ground was too dirty that it would've been too unsanitary. Their expressions changed from annoyed to utter shock and disgust.

 

"Who the is that? Are we being robbed or something?" A few voices giggled from the back of the room.

 

"Park Chanyeol, what on earth is this?" Chanyeol's mother asked, "Is this what you have been hiding from us all this time? Why are there random girls in your room? Are these your victims?"

 

"No! I don't even... know who they are!" Chanyeol screamed, "Maybe this isn't my room. Maybe we've got the wrong one! Let's go try the room next door!" Chanyeol almost dashed out of the room.

 

"Hold on a second, young man," Chanyeol's father said sternly, "If this weren't your room, then why did the combination code for the lock work? Don't tell me you're a pyshic and you know everything around here, because that's just rubbish."

 

"Exactly! What more are you trying to hide from us? You've already done enough damage in these past few hours," Chanyeol's mother shook her head, "I am so disappointed in you. I thought I raised you better. I never expected that my own son would do something as horrible as this."

 

"Chanyeol? Why do these old people keep on saying Chanyeol? That name sounds very familiar though..." one of the girls in the corner of the room said to her friend next to her.

 

"Yeahhh... Isn't Chanyeol that guy who rented us this room cause... 'cause.... well, I don't remember why but... I'm baked like a cake... Do you think we can score more of that awesome weed tomorrow?"

 

"Are you young people on drugs?" Chanyeol's father raged.

 

"Who's this old guy anyway... Why on earth is he even speaking to us? How did he get into our room... oh my god.... Hey! Isn't that um... I know that guy..." one of the girls pointed her finger at Chanyeol, "It's that guy! Who let us use his room 'cause... I remember now! 'Cause he wants to live with his rich friend in the city, that's why!"

 

"Rich friend?" Chanyeol's father raised his eyebrows, "I think we've had enough of this nonesense and we know what we have to know already. Let's leave, now."

 

Chanyeol nodded solemnly and dragged his feet out of the room, following his parents. They got into their car and drove home. The ride home took more than an hour and it was spent in total silence. Chanyeol only looked at his hands and bit his lower lip as the rain poured outside the car; adding to the intense atmosphere.

 

He had no idea whether he should apologize or just wait for his punishment. If he were to apologize, he didn't know where to begin. But on the other hand, he didn't exactly want a punishment either. He took a glance at his parents. His mother looked disappointed, her brows were creased together as she stared into space. His father didn't look any more different. He gripped on the sterring wheel hard as he focused on the slippery road.

 

Chanyeol decided that he would take the innitiative to apologize. He cleared his throat and opened his mouth. "Mom... dad?" was all that he managed to squeak out but it was enough to gain their attention. Although they did not turn back to face him, they grunted slightly at his futile attempt; as if they were asking, "What do you want?"

 

"I'm... I'm...." Chanyeol stuttered.

 

"What are you going to say, huh? Are you going to deny the fact that you did all those horrible things, again? Because frankly, the both of us are sick of hearing your lies. We are so disappointed in you, Park Chanyeol," his father said, "And I would need to contact that friend of yours that you've been staying with. I want to talk to him and if possible, I want to talk to his parents also."

 

"What? Why? He has nothing to do with this... I don't want you to drag unnecessary people into this situation!" Chanyeol cried out from the back seat.

 

"He is necessary in this situation! You've been living in his apartment for how long? And does he even ask you to help him pay rent? I don't think so! This is not the correct thing to do, Chanyeol. Your mother and I worked hard to earn money so that we could send you to a boarding school for you to be independent. But then we find out you've been abusing your freedom by doing such terrible things!" His father said sternly.

 

"I'm sorry..." Chanyeol said solemnly.

 

"It's a little bit too late for apologies now, isn't it?"