"What a Drag." - Naruto reference

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Myungsoo and Chaeyeon grabbed their backpacks and prepared to stand up when the bus pulled into the parking lot of their new high school.
 

“Okay, all students off!” The gruff voice of the bus driver reverberated in the vehicle.
 

They both stood up and was about to take a step when the bus suddenly lurched forward and then braked half a second later.
 

“Aaaah!” Chaeyeon tried to muffle her scream as she stumbled forward into a guy’s back. A hot guy’s back. Wait, a VERY hot guy’s back.
 

He turned around with a glare on his face but his face softened when he noticed it was a girl who had crashed into him and not a random prank from some nerd.
 

The guy held a hand out politely to steady Chaeyeon while Myungsoo picked up her book bag.
 

“Are you okay?” The handsome guy asked Chaeyeon.
 

“Y-yeah. Of c-course I am.” Her words stuttered in front of him.
 

He nodded in reply and turned towards Myungsoo who was glancing strangely at Chaeyeon. *Wow, this girl must be a big deal if she hangs out with someone who looks like that. His looks might even be Infinite rank.* “Hey, my name is Nam Woohyun. By the looks of the number of stars on your uniforms, I’m guessing you guys are in the eleventh grade?”
 

The three people walked off the bus and continued the conversation. “Yeah, but we just transferred here this year. My name is Kim Myungsoo and my clumsy friend here is Choi Chaeyeon.”
 

Woohyun’s attention was solely focused on Myungsoo though as they walked across the lush grass area where students sat under trees and stood around in groups.
 

Chaeyeon nudged Myungsoo’s elbow after a couple minutes and whispered quietly into his ear. “We have to go to the principal first.”

Myungsoo interrupted Woohyun’s explanation of where the cafeteria was and what food they served so they could leave.

 

“Alright, I’ll see you around Myungsoo.” Woohyun waved and hurried across the field to a tall, loud guy who was screaming
his name. “MY GOD, SUNGYEOL. STOP YELLING.”

 

“He’s nice.” Myungsoo remarked.
 

“And popular. Did you see the crowd that was following us? It’s like we’re holding VIP tickets to a Super Junior concert or something. Woohyun is either deaf or blind or both to not have seen the people or heard them since they were all saying his name.” Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. Even though Chaeyeon did like to be popular and liked by people, she despised all the queenkas at her old school. They were just plain annoying. The kingkas weren’t much better with their snobby attitudes and the fact that they always bullied Myungsoo was a big no-no in Chaeyeon’s book.
 

“Well at least he made an effort to talk to us. That’s gotta count for something.” He smiled warmly in Chaeyeon’s direction.
 

She quickly looked away so Myungsoo wouldn’t see her burning cheeks. The way he grinned at her with his eyes almost closing to slits and his mouth stretching from one side of his face to another made shudders go through her body. *Ack, why am I acting like this?! It’s not like he’s never smiled at you before.*
 

The two walked into the office feeling relieved that the staff there was blasting the AC. Even though it was nearly fall, the weather was still as hot and humid as ever. They were gestured over by the lady sitting at the desk closest to the door.
 

“New students right? Names?” The bored looking, portly woman with her glasses low on her nose asked them.

 

“Kim Myungsoo and Choi Chaeyeon.”
 

“These are your schedules,” The woman handed over two small papers. “And here are two maps. Have a good first day here at Seoul Performing Arts High!” She smiled but the emotion didn’t reach her dead, bored eyes.
 

“I hope all the staffs here aren’t like that.” Myungsoo murmured to Chaeyeon as they stepped out of the office.
 

Chaeyeon nodded and studied her schedule. “Let’s compare.”
 

“Hm… we have Korean, English, History, and Geography together. And the same lunch too! Too bad I’m too good in Math and Science.” He smirked and cracked up when he saw Chaeyeon’s glare.
 

She punched his arm lightly and continued walking to their first class.
 

Going to the office and trying hard to locate their first class took up much of the time before school so they were the last ones to enter the classroom.
 

Fortunately there were two empty seats in the back of the room.
 

“Hey Myungsoo! Over here!” The guy they had bumped into earlier, Woohyun, pointed to the two seats next to him.
 

“Hey,” Myungsoo waved and led Chaeyeon to the back.
 

“We’re sitting with HIM?” She asked softly. She had barely met him for ten minutes and already she was sick of the way he acted like he was the king of the world.
 

“Well, it’s the only seats left and besides, he was nice to us before.” Myungsoo reassured her.
 

Chaeyeon grudgingly plopped down in the seat farther away from Woohyun.
 

“Can I see your schedule?” Woohyun pulled his out to compare with Myungsoo. “Assa! We have all of our classes together. Wait… except for your Music class. I’m taking singing. You’ll have all your classes with Sungyeol here.” He gestured over to a tall guy with a smile that showed all his gums.
 

“ANNYEONG!” Sungyeol yelled although Myungsoo was only three seats away.
 

“Keep it down Sungyeol ah. Who the hell are you yelling to anyways?” A guy who just looked like he was just woken up by Sungyeol said.
 

“It’s Woohyun’s new friend.” Sungyeol calmed down and nodded his head towards Myungsoo.
 

“Oh… annyeong.” Sunggyu yawned but his eyes didn’t get any bigger.
 

*Oh. He wasn’t sleeping.* Myungsoo chuckled inwardly. “Annyeong, my name is Myungsoo.”
 

“Okay class, I’m Teacher Oh and I’ll be your Korean teacher. I’ve heard from the office that we have two new students in here today that came from Gangnam High. Please come up and introduce yourselves.” The teacher stood stiffly at the front of the class.
 

Myungsoo and Chaeyeon both made their way up to the front. “Annyeonhaseyo, my name is Kim Myungsoo. Please treat me well!” He said with a bow.
 

Mutters and murmurs of “he’s pretty cute” and “I wonder if he’s going to join the Infinite kingkas” and “oh gosh, I believe I have a new crush” floated through the room.
 

Chaeyeon cleared loudly to remind the class that there WAS another new student. “Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Choi Chaeyeon.”
 

Teacher Oh smiled at Myungsoo and Myungsoo only. “Okay thanks Myungsoo and Chaeeun.”
 

Chaeyeon blinked. “It’s Chaeyeon.” Even though she wasn’t a star student in her old school, the teacher would never get her name wrong.
 

“Yeah, Chaeyeon, that’s what I said. Get back to your desks.” The teacher’s face turned back to an icy stone when she looked at Chaeyeon.
 

“So much for all the staff not being dreadful. She seemed to like you a lot though.” Chaeyeon said once got back to their seats.
 

“Someone’s jelly.” Myungsoo replied in a sing-songy tone when he heard the hint of envy.
 

Chaeyeon pinked and quickly said. “No I’m not. I wouldn’t want a middle aged lady falling in love with me thank you very much.”
 

Myungsoo laughed quietly and looked up to the teacher just in case she noticed while she talked about the structure of the persuasive essay they were going to write.
 

Chaeyeon leaned back in her seat and looked out the window at the trees, sunshine, and the birds flying around freely. This was going to be a long day.