Two Months Later.

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

The same thing happened in the next two months. She always sat and stayed close to Myungsoo, but when the six guys were around, they took up all of his time. They were constantly asking questions and just playing around like guys do. She stood on the sidelines looking in as if she was some invisible ghost peering in on the living. They never made an effort to talk to her or include her in conversations or bets they made during lunch.

The most saddening thing was Myungsoo didn’t seem to notice her absence in the talking. Chaeyeon didn’t really know it made her so unhappy and it frustrated her. It’s not like it bothered her in the past that he didn’t talk to her.

“Heh, I bet Hyorin and that guy… what was his name? Oh yeah, Shinwoo aren’t even going to last a week.” Woohyun chuckled as he eyed the couple cuddling under a tree.

His guess was an obvious no-brainer since Hyorin was rarely interested in the same guy for more than a few days. Jinyoung, one of Shinwoo’s friends, would probably catch her eye and she would be on him quicker than a cat would be on mouse.

“Hey, who’s going to bet against you on that? It’s such an easy win for you.” Sunggyu complained.

While the guys continued their arguing on whether the bet should be made or not, Chaeyeon happened to glance over at a certain lunch table.

Key’s table.

She chuckled inwardly as he held bottle of banana milk away from a whining boy who she could hardly believe was in the same grade as them.

The boy whimpered, “Pleaaaase!!! Key Ummaaaaa!”

Key his hand even higher in the air. “No, this is your fifth one. Taemin-ah drinking too many of these is going to be bad for you.”

The athletic one, the guy who was the best runner on the track team and participated in almost every school sports team replied, “Key, just let Taemin have it. He has drunken like ten in a day before, he’s fine.”

Key shrugged. “Minho, let me and my son be.” He took the banana milk and gave it back to Taemin anyways who happily chugged the thing in fear he would take it away again.

The shortest one of the group laughed at the exchange while the oldest was ignoring them all together and taking huge bites out of his daily meal, chicken.

Chaeyeon smiled to herself at the goofiness of the five boys. Although they weren’t the kingkas that Woohyun and the others were, they certainly seemed friendlier.

She turned back to her own table where all seven faces were looking at her.

“Hey, we asked like three times if you want to go to noraebang with us this weekend.” Hoya said.

“Oh, uhm….” She cast a sideways glance at Myungsoo who nodded eagerly. “Okay.”

The guys then went on to discussing what snacks they should order and if the others thought the people working there would mind if they asked for soju.

Chaeyeon leaned back with a huff. Ignored, again.

 

 

 

 

 

The fashion class had moved on to actually sketching out ideas for clothes they would want to make. Chaeyeon focused on things you would usually find in Forever 21 with a mix of Asian cutesy fashion. Key was more abstract. He thought of things Chaeyeon would never imagine wearing but at the end of the sketch, really impressed the teacher.

“Look at this!” Key excitedly waved the already worn sketchbook in his hand. He doodled designs and ideas in them wherever he went, not just in class.

The sketch showed a faceless woman with a neon green hoodie. The hood was pulled up and little red horns were visible at the top. A spiked devil tail was attached to the hoodie as well as and little wings. The red pants were extremely skinny and had rips all along the front. The outfit was labeled “Demon Rebel” at the top of the page.

Chaeyeon pouted at the professional looking sketch and miserably looked at her own. Hers consisted of a female wearing a hoodie with a huge hood in the shape of a panda head. The black pants were somewhat baggy and sweatpants-like. Overall the outfit resembled something form a website she had spotted the night before so in other words it was plagiarized (A/N: Clothes can be plagiarized right? Or is it another term?)

“Key, how do you make this seem so easy?!” She shrieked and raked her hand through her hair. Her perfect bun from the morning had gone through so many artist block moments that it had settled in tangled, wavy sections past her shoulders.

“Make what seem so easy?” His eyes widened in pretend innocence as if this design masterpiece that surely would be sought by many major Korean companies was a little kid drawing boxy clothes on a stick figure.

“THIS!!” Her outburst led their silent classmates to all shush her and give her pissed off glares. She stared back at the people until they looked away and said quietly, “How does mine even compare with yours?”

“It doesn’t.” Key smirked, all innocence disappearing. But after seeing the menacing look on her face he quickly recovered by saying, “Well yours is very… chic. Inaveryamateurishway.”

She ignored the last part. “Thanks, I guess. Can you help me a bit though? I really like fashion and all, I mean what girl doesn’t like clothes? But, I don’t get how to get really original ideas. Most of the stuff I end up drawing in this class are things I saw in a store or when I’m shopping online.”

“You just have to use your imagination and try to come up with something. For example I draw from what I’m feeling. It might just be a general mood I’m in or it can be how I feel about something I look at. Like if I look at you, I would probably draw something with a little puppy on it or something.” *Cause they’re cute…* He thought how she reminded him of a puppy throwing a little tantrum.

“Oh…I see. WAIT A SECOND, ARE YOU SAYING I LOOK LIKE A DOG?!” She clenched her fists and her eyes burned.

“Wait, what?! I wasn’t thinking like that!!” Key managed to respond before he got a bone-shattering punch from Chaeyeon.

 

 

 

 

 

“Myungsoo-ah let’s go to class together!” Sungyeol waved to him at the end of science. Myungsoo smiled back and walked towards his new friend. Although they only knew each other for two months, he felt a closer bond with him than with any other guy in the past. No bromance though. He actually preferred Sungyeol’s loud, fun personality over the other members of their group.

“What songs do you usually sing at noraebang? Girl’s Generation? I’m sure you can do the Twinkle dance really well.” Sungyeol made an exaggerated wink and started doing the famous dance. The girls behind the two gasped and ahhed in admiration towards the cute kingka.

Myungsoo blushed a rosy pink. “Of course not! Actually I don’t think I’ve ever been to a noraebang before.”

“WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME HERE? YOU’RE SAYING YOU LIVED IN KOREA ALL YOUR LIFE AND NEVER BEEN TO A NORAEBANG? YOU ARE INSANE.” Sungyeol yelled so loud to the point that Myungsoo was sure even people in Busan could hear him.

“Keep it down!” He fumbled around trying the keep the books he was carrying from falling to the floor when he threw a hand over his friend’s mouth.

“Seriously dude, you are kidding right?” Sungyeol returned to normal and started speeding up to reach the music hall on the other side of the campus.

“Nope. I really haven’t been to one. I would probably sing Big Bang songs though, since Chaeyeon listens to them literally all the time.”

“Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to ask, what’s your relationship with Chaeyeon. She seems really plain for someone like you.”

*Really? And she used to say I ruined her reputation.* “Huh? Well she’s my best friend for starters.”

“Are you for real? I’m not even kidding how much she blends in with the rest of the girls at this school. If she didn’t sit with us every day, I probably wouldn’t notice her at all.” Sungyeol shrugged as he waved to a couple of girls.

*I never thought of her that way. She’s my best friend…* Myungsoo and his troubled thoughts were interrupted by the bell.

“Oh shoot. LET’S RUN MYUNGSOO!!” Sungyeol tugged him along to the next class. 

 


y title for this chapter lol. 

Anyways, I'm sorry for updating so late today. This chapter turned out longer than expected.