Key Finds Out

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Chaeyeon made her way up to her room after reading a note from her mom saying she was going to be out late again with her dad.

She let out a loud sigh and flopped backwards down on the bed and stared at the plain, white ceiling. “Key, don’t you think you were just a bit too harsh?”

No matter what, her heart ached to think that Myungsoo felt bad right now, about HER.

Key crossed the room and crossed his arms. “Nope, he deserved every word I fired at him.”

“Wow. Your room is so clean…” He took a good look around at the perfectly made bed and the pens and pencils arranged carefully on her dust-free desk. Even the books in her shelves were organized by author, not a single one out of alphabetical order.

Chaeyeon sat up and turned the conversation back to Myungsoo. “Key, you don’t get it though. Now… I’m not sure… but I… I just want Myungsoo as more than just a friend now. You know what I mean?”

His jaw flew open and his arms hung limply at his side. “Are you outta your mind?! He literally doesn’t even bother to pay attention to you these days! How can you still accept him as anything other than a classmate?”

Chaeyeon shut her eyes tightly and ran her hands through her hair, messing up the braid. “Ahhhh! I don’t even know anymore! It’s like I’m seeing him in a new light I guess. After I gave him a haircut and picked out clothes from the mall for him over the summer… he got so much better looking. All the bullying he went through and the mop of a hairdo that he used to cover his face up completely buried his, well, godlike features.”

“What are you talking about? As far as I know, Kim Myungsoo has always been some godlike creature that half the female population of our school loves to death.”

Chaeyeon clapped her hands over . *Shoot… I’ve said too much. And I was the one who wanted to keep his little makeover a secret. Way to go Chaeyeon.*

“So?” Key tapped his foot, waiting for an answer.

“Well, you see… Nothing I say here can be repeated outside this door, okay? NOTHING.” Chaeyeon threatened with a cut-throat gesture.

Key nodded seriously.

Chaeyeon sighed once again. “I don’t know where to begin…”

“Start from the bullying part. He seems like the one to be bullying people not the other way around.”

“No, Myungsoo would never bully people. Last year, at our old school, he was bullied a lot by this one popular kingka. He would always be pushed against lockeds, shoved into trashcans, and insulted around the school. Myungsoo had almost no friends and he spent most of his time huddled in a corner of the library.” Chaeyeon looked up at the ceiling light to keep the droplets from escaping her eyes.

“Ah, really?!” Key’s eyes got past the maximum size as he processed this information in his head. “But how? I mean his looks… he literally has the complete package.”

“Yeah I know. Most of that so-called package is made by me, as conceited as that sounds.”

Key scratched his head. “I’m not sure I get what you’re saying…”

“It’s simple. I gave him a makeover.” Chaeyeon shrugged.

“What do you mean a makeover? The ones on TV?” Key continued scratching his head.

“AISH! WHY DON’T YOU GET ANYTHING?!” Chaeyeon stabbed her index finger into his forehead.

“Ow… My BB cream’s all smeared now…” Chaeyeon looked at him weirdly. “I m-mean… nothing. Carry on.” Key laughed awkwardly.

“Yeah, the ones on TV where they get some person who has zero self-confidence on their looks and they transform them into a person that entertainment agencies would accept in a heartbeat. Wait here’s a picture of what Myungsoo looked like before I got him to tidy up.”

She dug out from an old memory book a random picture of Myungsoo from a year before.

 

Key quickly grabbed the picture from Chaeyeon, looking at it from one side to another and holding it closer as if to analyze each pixel. “WHOA. This really is him! There’s such a big difference… he doesn’t look like a kingka whatsoever.”

“That’s why he was bullied along with the fact he was super smart. He was actually first in our grade last year.”

“Who would think he looked like this just a year ago? How did you do this?”

Chaeyeon leaned back, thinking of the weeks during summer that led up to his new look. “I took him to a professional hair salon to get his hair fixed up and then we shopped for fashionable clothes. And those glasses, those big glasses with thick lenses, were actually fake and he didn’t need them after all.”

Key finally put down the old picture for what seemed to be the longest time. “Well that still doesn’t change the fact that he’s a jerk. Nerd or not a nerd, he’s plain mean.”

Chaeyeon shook her head to defend her long-time friend. “No, no he wasn’t always this way. We really were close. I didn’t even think he would have any other friends besides me this year because of his shyness. I guess I really underestimated his looks.”

“Still, Chaeyeon-ah, think about it. I still don’t believe he’s a worthy friend. Okay, it’s getting late… hurry and sleep!” Key gave her a quick smile and walked out onto the street. *Aish… what am I thinking, no way is she ever going to think Myungsoo is a bad person. She’s too attracted to him already. I don’t even stand a chance against that guy.*

 

 

 

 

From: Kim Myungsoo

To: Choi Chaeyeon

Yah, are you okay?

 

From: Choi Chaeyeon

To: Kim Myungsoo

Of course! Don’t worry, you’re still my friend~

 

From: Kim Myungsoo

To: Choi Chaeyeon

No, don’t lie. That blonde was right, I really am a messed up friend. I’ll be sure to talk to you more in school. I should really thank him…

 

Chaeyeon smiled at the lit up screen while lying in bed. *Key, thank you so much.*