Change of Heart

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

“Chaeyeon-ah! Over here!” Chaeyeon turned to see her friend, now maybe crush, running towards her. *Am I dreaming? Myungsoo never meets me at the bus anymore. He usually takes Dongwoo’s car.*

She quickly pinched herself on her leg and winced at the stinging pain. *I’m not!*

She took a millisecond to fix her hair and smooth her skirt before giving a small wave and a smile.

He stumbled after running at such a high speed to get to his friend. “The bus… phew… hasn’t gotten here … huff… yet?” He clutched Chaeyeon’s shoulder and leaned over to catch his breath.

Chaeyeon gulped at the sudden contact and tried to act normal… which wasn’t that easy to do seeing that they had barely talked the past two months. “Um… nope. It should come any second now.”

As if her words were magic, the big vehicle rolled into view.

Myungsoo grabbed her hand without hesitation and tugged gently when the driver cranked the door open. Chaeyeon let herself be pulled in with her shaky legs and pounding heart.

“Oh… is it really…Myungsoo-ah!” The bus driver stopped the bus for a second and clamped her hands on his face. “It’s really you! I haven’t seen your handsome face in such a long time! You’re joining us again, that’s nice. It was always so sad to see Chaeyeon here sitting alone these past two months or so.”

Myungsoo looked back towards Chaeyeon who pretended not to be listening although she was craning her head towards the two, trying to catch his response.

“Oh, really? I would’ve thought she would have made some friends by now or sit by Woohyun hyung.” He stared quizzically at his hyung who shrugged in his direction.

The bus driver sighed. “You see, Woohyun never talks to Chaeyeon.”

“Wait, what? Why?”

“I’m not sure, why don’t you ask him yourself? I have to start the bus are we’re going to be late.” She motioned for the two to get situated before pressing on the pedal.

“Chaeyeon, why didn’t you tell me Woohyun wasn’t even talking to you in the mornings? Huh?” He slightly tapped her arm with his elbow.

“Like you would have listened.” She spoke quietly as she looked out the window at the scene she saw every day.

Her words delivered a sharp blow to Myungsoo’s heart. It still surprised him in a bad way that he had been hurting her feelings all this time. “I’m…sorry. I really mean it. I vow to become  the greatest friend in the history of the world.”

Chaeyeon turned back at the apologetic eyes and his hand pressed to his forehead in a salute sign. She held back a giggle at his cute actions. “It’s fine.”

“Slap me if I don’t, okay?”

Chaeyeon let out a bark-like laugh, frightening everyone in the bus.

 

 

 

 

 

Bbrinnnng.. bbrinnnnnnnng.

Chaeyeon, Myungsoo, and basically the whole rest of the student population rushed to the cafeteria to begin their favorite time of day: lunch.

She bowed to each lunch lady as they spooned kimchi, rice, a little bowl of spicy tofu, egg, and spam onto her plate. (A/N: I am completely guessing on the lunches they have in Korea, heck, I don’t even know if they can buy food from cafeterias in Korea. Don’t be hating on this part though. ^^)

Chaeyeon began heading towards Key’s table where the five guys all turned towards her with smiles and vigorously waving hands. Suddenly, Myungsoo ran up to her with his plate dangerously close to falling to the ground.

“What are you doing?! I told you I was going to treat you like the awesomest friend in the world so you just HAVE to sit with me!” He led her in the opposite table towards his usual group of guys.

She looked back in time to see Key’s smile falter and then disappear altogether, Taemin’s banana milk hit the floor and splatter everywhere, Onew’s drumstick sticking out the edge of his gasping mouth, Minho’s stern, disapproving stare, and Jonghyun’s face still as a stone.

“Welcome back!” Dongwoo greeted the two with his arms stretched to the side. The other five all had genuine smiles on their faces as they saw them as well.

 Sungyeol gasped. “Are you back for good?! We missed you a lot!”

“Yeah, sit with us more.” Woohyun stood up with his hands in his pockets and presented her with banana milk.

Chaeyeon smiled brightly at their kind gestures, but something was off. *Why are they being so nice to me? Huh, this is weird. It went from ignoring to super niceness? I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen in real life.*

Myungsoo breathed a sigh as he saw the other members were following along with what he told them to do last night.

 

 

The Night Before

 

From: Kim Myungsoo

To: Trainee Group ^^

YAH. SKYPE ME. NOW.

 

One by one, the other guys appeared as online on their group chat.

The oldest showed up first. “What’s going on?”

Sungjong appeared with a towel which he was using to wipe his sweaty face. “I was practicing girl group dances to show our CEO on Friday so make this quick.”

Sungyeol popped up with his hair soaking wet. “OH EM GEE. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG MYUNGSOO-AH???”

“Yeah, what’s up?” Dongwoo was using his phone to video chat under his blanket and it made his eyes look even wilder in the darkness.

“Hm?” Hoya looked half awake with his glasses still on his head.

“Hello?” Woohyun faced his computer screen and checked his face in the webcam.

Myungsoo smiled once he noticed all of the six others had responded to his call. “Finally, you’re all on! I know this is really a really sudden question but do you not LIKE Chaeyeon?”

The members who were all looking up to the camera now were looking off to the side or moving uncomfortably.

“Well?” Myungsoo waited for the answer to come although he was almost certain what it was going to be.

Woohyun spoke for all of them. “I think she just… doesn’t fit us. She’s…normal.”

“What are you talking about? She’s awesome! Haven’t I told you that she was my friend for ever since I could remember? I really am asking you guys to just let her sit and eat and talk with us.”

The others still looked like they weren’t persuaded.

“Look. She is important to me. I might be really dramatic right now but I would really rather just drop as a trainee than give up hanging out with her at school.” Myungsoo prayed he wouldn’t regret what he said.

Sunggyu stepped up. “Hold up right there. You don’t have to drop out. We’ll start hanging out with her, right guys?”

The others murmured their “yes”.

Woohyun suddenly looked up with his eyes dark and suspicious. “Wait a second. For these past months, you didn’t really hang out with her at all anyways so why now?”

Myungsoo hesitated. Why didn’t he treat her like a friend? He was just as bad as the rest of them then. “Well… I made a mistake. But now I know how much she means to me. That’s all.”


Sorry for the super late upload... *bows until my head burrows down to the center of the earth*