Noraebang

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Myungsoo thumps on the front door gradually grew to loud, banging smacks as he shouted for Chaeyeon. “HURRY UP! WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR NORAEBANG!!”

“WAIT ONE SECOND. THE THING DOESN’T EVEN START UNTIL 8! IT’S … OH IT’S 8:05!” She quickly buckled the thin leather belt around her waist and shook out everything from one purse to another and ran downstairs putting on blush and lipstick along the way.

She opened the door to find a fuming Myungsoo glaring at her with a tensed hand poised to punch the door again. “Oh my gosh, calm down. These guys changed you didn’t they.”

“No they didn’t. I just want to be on time for once.” He cracked a smile before quickly resuming the clenched teeth and narrowed eyes look and letting himself into Chaeyeon’s car.

When she got in, she pressed play on the Big Bang’s Alive album and cranked the car into drive.

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re finally here!” Woohyun shouted through the mic as the two stepped into the room.

“Yeeaauhh, whhoaut tuk soh loung?” Sungjong spoke through a mouthful of shrimp crackers.

Someone wasn’t ready.” Myungsoo gave a pointed look at Chaeyeon who blushed and waved sheepishly.

“Since everyone’s here, let’s get this party going! We already got all the snacks ordered and even though I’m pretty sure these place don’t usually carry kimchi jjigae, we specially ordered it for you.” Sunggyu gave smile to Myungsoo. In the short time the group of guys had known each other, they figured out that Myungsoo had an almost creepy obsession with kimchi jjigae.

“Who’s going first?” Hoya called out.

“Obviously me, duh. I have the mic. Can you choose Sistar’s “Alone”?” Woohyun swung the mic around, almost hitting Sunggyu’s head with it.

Everyone gawked at his song choice since the iness of it didn’t match his cool, handsome, sometimes greasy (scratch that, ALWAYS GREASY) personality. “What? You don’t think I’m a y beast?” He began throwing hearts at his friends who turned their heads in disgust.

“Ugh, save that for the girls at school.” Hoya quickly turned the song on so the Namstar could focus on the singing.

Woohyun’s voice exceeded Chaeyeon’s expectations who leaned forward to watch. He carried himself like a true famous singer, clutching his chest and squeezing his eyes shut. All the notes were hit at the perfect pitch, even the “whoo hoo hoo hooos” (A/N: Lack of a better spelling.) were sang beautifully.

All the other guys seemed pretty surprised at Woohyung’s voice and all gave a loud applause and whoops when he was done.

“Huh, and I always thought I was mediocre at this type of stuff. Teacher Lee always gives me Bs on the solos I do in class.”

“Dude, you sing better than a lot of those other guy groups out there!” Dongwoo’s wild eyes were opened to their full extent as he looked at his younger friend with new admiration.

“I call next!” Sunggyu grabbed the mic from Woohyun’s hands. “Lucky by Jason Mraz.”

Hoya blinked in confusion once again at the song. “Are you speaking Korean, hyung?”

Sunggyu looked down at Hoya working the machine. “Nope. English. L-U-C-K-Y and then-“

“Okay, okay, I know how to spell the rest. I get As in English… why does he think I can’t spell that…” Hoya mumbled to himself as he chose the song.

The whole group was once again awed by the sound of the singer’s voice. Although Sunggyu did have a little cute Korean accent on the lyrics, he still sang the song really well. Both Woohyun and Sunggyu had amazing voices.

“Whoa… you two should totally try out for The Voice of Korea or some other singing competition. You guys would kick some serious !” Chaeyeon worked hard to talk after struggling to close from surprise. The other guys nodded in agreement. *Whoa. They actually agreed with me.*

“Hoya and I will perform next!” Dongwoo quickly raised his hand to volunteer the two of them.

“Wait… I need mental preparation before performing in front of people.” Hoya looked down and closed his eyes, trying to relieve the nervousness that suddenly spiked up.

Dongwoo heaved a sigh and went over to comfort his Hobaby. “Come on! It’s fine. We’ve been friends with these people for all our lives. Well, except for Myungsoo and Chaeyeon but we know them well enough so singing in front of them would be nothing. Sunggyu hyung and Woohyun already went so let’s go!”

Hoya lifted his head in determination and grabbed the other mic from the table. “Let’s do this! YADONG FOR LIFE!”

They sang their favorite hip hop song with a burning charisma and some spontaneous dance moves from both members of Yadong.

Sungjong then strutted and did cutesy hand movements to several girl group songs. Mainly because he kept begging to do more and more. Chaeyeon sadly had to admit he was better than her at dancing and had a somewhat curvier, leaner body.

Sungyeol tried to rap but ended up doing funny grasshopper leaps around the room with an owl impersonation plastered across his face.

Sungyeol gasped for air after his tiring workout routine of numerous jumps. “GASP, GASP. MYUNGSOOOOOOO~ IT’S YOUR TURN!”

Myungsoo was having so much fun watching each guy sing and dance that he forgot he had to sing something as well. *WHAT SHOULD I DO, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!* He inwardly panicked and froze up.

Chaeyeon noticed the situation immediately because that expression was usually the face he wore when bullies talked smack about him.

She cleared loudly. “Myungsoo-ah, let’s sing “Blue”!”

Myungsoo shook his head and got of his frozen state. *Hmm… I know all the words of “Blue” by heart since Chaeyeon constantly plays that song. Thanks for coming up with an idea, best friend.* He gave a smile that would make any girl faint before agreeing.

Chaeyeon was in charge of the rap sections since she liked G-Dragon and Top so much so Myungsoo sang most of the song.

“Your voice is so nice hyung!” Sungjong’s eyes glittered with wonder. “It sounds a bit like those guys in Japanese animes!” (A/N: I believe L admitted he was trying to get rid of the anime tone in his voice while he sings in one of Infinite’s variety shows. Please correct me if I’m wrong ^^)

“Totally.” The five others exclaimed.

“But, ehh… Chaeyeon, your rapping lacked a little. It seemed like it was always a bit slowing that GD’s or Top’s voices. Nice try though.” Woohyun smiled warmly although his criticisms made Chaeyeon hang her head in sadness.

A knock suddenly sounded at the door.

“Who would be here? We already got all our drinks and snacks delivered so there shouldn’t be any staff coming in. No one else was invited either.” Sunggyu wondered out loud.

The door opened and a pale, middle-aged man stepped in. “I heard you guys singing from outside-“

“OH NO! WERE WE THAT LOUD?! WE’RE SORRY!” Sungyeol bowed ninety degrees before listening to what the man wanted to say.

“No, no I was going to say I heard you guys singing and stayed for the whole time outside the door. As young men, you really are talented!”

The guys all bowed in thanks while Chaeyeon stood off to the side. *What the heck am I supposed to do?*

“So… as the president of Woollim Entertainment, I would like to accept you all as trainees to be a guy group. If that’s okay with you. Oh, and your parents of course.”

The utterly shocked guys stared at each other. “W-wait sir, you mean us?” Sunngyu managed to stammer out.

“Yeah, the talent I heard through the door, we couldn’t find from the auditions that came through. And the dance skills of these two boys are no joke.” He gestured towards Hoya and Dongwoo who looked at each other with wide eyes and open mouths.

“Do you have a business card or something we can call you with?”

The man handed out seven cards with the company’s name and the phone number on it. “Please think about it, if everything works out fine, you seven will debut as one group!”

“WE’RE GOING TO BE FAMOUS!” Sungyeol shouted at the top of his lungs after Woollim’s CEO left.

Smiles stretched from cheek to cheek while they still processed what happened.

“Why the hell are we still here? Let’s hurry up and get confirmation!” Woohyun quickly downed the rest of the soju and stuffed chips in his mouth.

The seven guys left the noraebang happily, not noticing the girl they left behind.

 

 

 

 

 

*What happened to my friendship with Myungsoo? Can these six guys easily replace me? I thought we would be stuck like glue until university at the very least. Especially since we didn’t know anyone at this school. Wait, why am I even feeling so left out and sad? I should be happy for him, he’s making new friends. Wasn’t that my main goal? To have him all hot looking so people wouldn’t bully him and that he would be respected by the kids at school. But I feel so happy around him now, even if he isn’t talking to me. Am I falling- no, Chaeyeon that’s ridiculous.*