Introducing... KEY!

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

“Myungsoo-ah! Come join us for lunch!” Woohyun yelled from a circular table in the middle of the cafeteria.

Chaeyeon had begun to like the six guys since they didn’t remind her much of the old kingkas at her school. They were nice the people who confessed to them and didn’t bathe in compliments from ty girls and act conceited all the time.

She still had this feeling that she wasn’t wanted. Not as much as Myungsoo anyways. Chaeyeon wasn’t quite used to that since just a few short months ago, it was the complete opposite.

Several, wait, around one hundred pairs of mascara-ed, lined, and shadowed eyes turned towards Myungsoo and Chaeyeon. At him to look him up and down and narrow their eyes in desire and at her to scoff to wonder what the heck she was doing with a guy like him.

Chaeyeon lowered her head with viciously red cheeks.

Myungsoo grinned back at Woohyun and dragged Chaeyeon there with him after grabbing some kimbap and mineral water from the line in the cafeteria.

He had become quick friends with all the guys throughout the classes they shared together.

More pairs of eyes stared Chaeyeon down as they saw she was getting special treatment by sitting at the guys’ table where even the most popular girls weren’t allowed to hang out.

She self-consciously unwrapped the kimbap triangle and nibbled on a point.

Myungsoo had just finished recounting the first four classes and asking why it seemed lots of students were staring at him. “Was there something on my face or something?”

“HAHAHAH MYUNGSOO MY MAN YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!” Sungyeol screeched and Dongwoo laughed in response. The other guys at the table shook their heads in amusement.

They were used to feeling that way since they were popular since their first days in preschool, but this guy who was possibly the new best looking guy in school was oblivious to why girls and guys alike were shooting him looks? The thought was absurd.

“Dude, do you own a mirror? I mean, I’m not trying to start a bromance or something but you are freaking HOT.” Hoya replied from across the table.

Chaeyeon barked out a laugh and started pinking again before quickly resuming the birdlike eating.

“Man, that sounded really, no offense, gay. Anyways, Hoya has a point. You’ve got the complete package: looks and smarts.” Sunggyu remarked. The other guys ‘mhmed’ and nodded in agreement.

“Ah… you really think so?” Myungsoo asked. He didn’t believe it. “It was never like that at my old school. I was always ig-… OW!” Chaeyeon aimed a good kick at Myungsoo’s shin.

He then remembered what Chaeyeon said one morning. “No matter what: DON’T tell ANYONE you were pushed around at Gangnam High. Then the people at our new school would find that as an excuse to shove you in trash cans.”

The six guys stared quizzically at Myungsoo. “You were saying?” Dongwoo asked.

“Um…. I was just going to say... I wasn’t that popular at my old school is all.” *Whew. That was close.*

The guys nodded and continued shoving their lunches down their throats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Attention class. I am Teacher Jung, the woman in charge of teaching you the basics in design.” The cheerful, fashionable woman declared before her class.

*FINALLY, a teacher that might not bore me to death.* Chaeyeon sat up a bit straighter in her seat and even let a bit of a smile show on her lips.

“I’ve heard that we have a new student here today? Anyone by the name Choi Chaeyeon?”

“Right here, Teacher.” She stood up and weaved her way between the tables to the front of the class.

Chaeyeon bowed 45 degrees. “I’m Choi Chaeyeon. I transferred from Gangnam High. Please treat me well!”

She looked up and met eyes with a guy who was staring directly at her. She started reddening immediately. *I know I’m in the front of the class right now, but why is he staring so intently at me?*

“Okay thank you Chaeyeon. Okay, students come up when I call your table to get your books.”

Chaeyeon returned to her seat which happened to be the one she shared with the guy.

“Hi Chaeyeon sshi!” He turned towards her while the teacher was handing the textbooks and sketchbooks out. “My name is Kim Kibum. Most people call me Key though.” (A/N: I know I said that she listened to SHINee’s “Sherlock” in the first chapter and somewhere else in another chapter. I didn’t really think I was going to put them in the story but tadah, here they are. I edited the chapters to make this make sense.)

“Hello…” She bashfully looked down at the table. He was quite good looking, nothing compared to the people she sat with at lunch, but cute nonetheless. His bleached hair complemented his skin tone except for the fact it was quite messy. The standard uniform he wore had gone a drastic makeover with a fold at the end of the pant leg and a custom transformation of the sleeves which made it look good when pushed upwards.

“How was your first day of school?” His friendly smile accented his high cheekbones.

“It was…fine I guess. There’s nothing necessarily good about school right?” Chaeyeon managed a faint-hearted smile.

Key narrowed his eyes while scrutinizing her face. “Something bad happened to you today. Am I right?” His voice softened at the end.

Chaeyeon’s eyes widened at how he got the answer just by looking at her face for a few seconds. *Am I that much of an open book?*

“N-no, nothing happened.” She looked the other way.

“Chaeyeon-ah. Is it okay if I call you that?” She nodded. “Chaeyeon-ah, you can tell me you know, we should become friends. After all, we are going to be sitting with each other for the rest of the year.”

Chaeyeon heaved a sigh. “I’m sorry Key. I’m just having minor friend troubles, nothing big.” She grinned, hoping it looked real, and was relieved when Key nodded and turned back to the front of the class.

“Okay, Key’s table.” The two partners got up and received the two books and a set of graphite pencils and a box of colored pencils.

“Thank you.” Chaeyeon bowed and headed back to her seat. *Wow they supply you with everything don’t they.*

Key excitedly cracked open the metal tin containing the pencils and quickly tested them out on the first page of the sketchbook. Before Chaeyeon could even begin to look at the different colors in the set of colored pencils, he had already drawn a very realistic picture of a timid-looking squirrel nibbling on an acorn.

“Like it?” He held up the beautifully drawn animal for Chaeyeon to see.

Chaeyeon mouth gaped open. She couldn’t believe he could draw something so detailed in the few minutes his head was hunched over the book.

“Ohmygosh that’s amazing!” Chaeyeon smiled, analyzing the delicate pencil that made up the squirrel’s fur.

“Guess what it resembles.”

“It’s supposed to resemble something?” She tilted her head to the side.

“Not something, someone.” He smirked.

“I don’t really know. Maybe Baro from B1A4? He was known as the squirrel princess when they filmed Sesame Player.”

“Nice try but nope. Do you give up?” She said yes. “It’s you.”

“Me? How do I resemble the squirrel?” Chaeyeon was utterly confused. She was also a bit flattered that he drew a picture of her, even if she was a little woodland creature.

“Well, lots of people were looking at your table during lunch. I saw how you never made a sound, just silently eating your kimbap the whole time.” He shrugged.

“I’m guessing you were upset over something that happened with those kingkas?” Key said after Chaeyeon didn’t answer.

“Yes…No…Maybe. It’s just the other new student who’s my best friend since we were born. I feel forgotten when he talks with them. I was never included in conversations.” Chaeyeon remembered how she had barely ever talked to Myungsoo this whole day when the guys were around.

Key smiled knowingly. “Relax, it’s just the first day so maybe they’ll warm up to you soon.”

Chaeyeon smiled up at him. “I do feel like I’m overreacting over this.” *Hopefully I really am though…*