Seoul Performing Arts High

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

BZZZZZT..! BZZZZT..!
 

Myungsoo grumbled about stupid alarm clocks and how he only slept for what seemed like five minutes while he blindly reached around the night stand for the hated clock.
 

His eyes slowly fluttered open to the bright sun shining in.
 

“Well, today’s the first day.” He sat up and scratched his head, yawning.
 

After brushing his teeth, he studied his shirtless self in the mirror. Thanks to Chaeyeon’s constant coaching throughout the whole summer, the muscles in his body were toned and sculpted.
 

Myungsoo absentmindedly flexed a bicep; he was still unused to seeing the bulge of muscle on his arm.
 

He pulled on the school uniform and styled his hair with a handful of mousse.
 

“Good morning Umma!” He greeted as he stepped into the kitchen where his mother was scrambling eggs and making coffee.
 

“Myungsoo-ah! Invite Chaeyeon over for breakfast!” She said cheerily over her shoulder before she turned back to avoid overcooking the eggs.
 

Myungsoo grinned. His mom said the same thing every morning of the first day of a new school year.
 

He opened the door and jogged next door. He was about to press the ring the doorbell but Chaeyeon was one step ahead of him.
 

The door opened with Chaeyeon pulling small strands from her simple, messy bun to make a more casual look.
 

“Good morning. ” Chaeyeon reached out her hands to straighten his shirt.
 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes at her actions. He grabbed the arm fixing his shirt. “Come on! We’re going to be late on the first day of school if we don’t hurry up and eat!”
 

“Okay, okay!” They hurried back into his house where Mrs. Kim was almost finished with heaping piles of scrambled eggs and sizzling bacon onto the plates.
 

The toast popped out at just the right moment for the busy mom to spin around and catch it before it hit the countertop.

 

Chaeyeon started applauding automatically. “Wow! Mrs. Kim you’re so professional looking in the kitchen.”

 

“Oh don’t flatter me, darling! Hurry up and eat while it’s hot!” She smiled warmly at her son’s friend. *Myungsoo should be grateful to have a friend like her.*

 

The two friends lifted their forks and knives and began digging into the yummy breakfast Mrs. Kim prepared.

 

Chaeyeon patted her full stomach and stifled a burp. “Ah… what a nice way to start off today! Thank you Mrs. Kim!”

 

“It’s nothing. You have a full day ahead of you so a big breakfast is always a must.” She clasped her hands together, thinking back to the same event that happened each year. Now her son and Chaeyeon were all grown up.

 

Myungsoo wiped his mouth with a napkin and glanced up at the clock. He leapt up in shock, the jolt knocking down his chair. “We’re LATE! The bus is probably gone by now! That bus is the only way to school!”

 

Chaeyeon yanked her new messenger bag onto one shoulder while Mrs. Kim hurried over to stuff a sack lunch into Myungsoo’s open backpack which she hefted onto his back.

 

They bolted out the door after Chaeyeon thanked his mom once again for the delicious breakfast.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“We are so lucky that the bus ran two minutes behind schedule. We would have been screwed before we even reached the school.” Myungsoo huffed and puffed after they sprinted to the end of the street just before the bus driver closed the doors.

 

The bus they entered could hardly be considered a school bus. It was nothing like the stereotypical yellow bus with the slightly sticky seats that were made of brown leather. There were no kids yelling to friends sitting at opposite ends of the bus or mosaics of gum on the floor or stuck to the walls.
 

This bus was a high class mode of transportation for the high class kids that went to Seoul Performing Arts High School. The interior of the bus was modern looking and clean. Every student that boarded the bus was handed a bottle of Evian water. The seats could recline and several TV sets played the most recent popular drama.
 

Even the students that stepped onboard looked like they stepped out of a magazine or something. They sported the school’s uniform which was a navy blue/golden yellow/gray/white plaid skirt with a navy blazer and white dress shirt inside for the girls and a navy blazer with a white dress shirt and long khaki pants for guys.
 

Chaeyeon had applied to the school for her sketching and her elective which she was looking forward to the most was fashion design.
 

Myungsoo on the other hand mainly got in for his smarts but he also was talented in playing the guitar as well as the piano.
 

“Wow these people are so mature and, I don’t know, talented looking.” Chaeyeon whispered.
 

Myungsoo turned his head towards Chaeyeon. “No kidding.”
 

A girl with wavy brown hair met Myungsoo’s eyes and gave him a little smile. It looked a bit on the seductive side to Chaeyeon though.
 

*Oh my gosh did that girl just smile at me? Keep cool Kim Myungsoo. Keep cool.* He swallowed and coolly returned a nod.
 

Chaeyeon noticed the anxiety Myungsoo felt and weird pain clenched at her heart. Why didn’t he ever get nervous when talking to her? *YAH CHAEYEON! GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF. THIS IS YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND KIM MYUNGSOO YOU’RE THINKING ABOUT HERE. THE ONE THAT LOOKED LIKE A NERD LITERALLY TWO MONTHS AGO. YOU CAN’T THINK DIFFERENTLY ABOUT HIM NOW.*
 

But still, he was different now. A whole 180 degrees different. And Chaeyeon couldn’t keep that feeling in her heart from bothering her.