Key's Pain

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Key tapped his pencil on the side of his math book as he tried to concentrate in his class. All the information from the lecture seemed to go in one ear and out the other. He groaned when he saw he didn’t even get how to solve the problem.

One day had already passed since he saw Myungsoo and Chaeyeon holding hands but he couldn’t get it out of his head. It was like a constant reminder saying how he will never be as good as him. How he will never be the one Chaeyeon’s thinking of.

Oh right, there was also the fact Myungsoo, or L to be exact, was also going to be famous while Key was just another student lusting for the idol status that Infinite was going to receive in just a couple months.

 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, Chaeyeon strolled happily each day with Myungsoo to the Infinite table. Girls crawled all around the table trying to start conversations with the members but they were usually too tired from practice to answer all of them… at least for most of the members. Woohyun was the one who gave most fan service to the girls. He hugged each one when they asked for it and responded politely to each and every fan. Naturally, he had the most girls vying after him although the line for the others weren’t so shabby either.

“Oppa… are you taking any one to the Halloween party next week?” A particularly talkative girl asked Woohyun.

“Oh? There’s a party next week? I’m so tired these days I forget all the school activities.” Woohyun smiled sheepishly. “No, I don’t have anyone in mind yet but I’ll be sure to ask someone by next week.” He ended his conversation with a wink.

The girl let out a small sigh at the wink that drove all girls crazy.

The others who had been lazily biting on their sandwiches or scooping rice into their mouths paused. “There’s a party at school next week?” Hoya asked.

“Apparently.” Woohyun shrugged.

Hoya smirked. “I guess I have a chance to show off my dance skills.” All of the people who sat at the table rolled their eyes, including Chaeyeon. Even though Hoya’s dance skills were no doubt amazing, she could almost predict when he was going to randomly break into a dance move since he did it so much.

Sunggyu nodded to the side with his lower lip pouting (A/N: That’s the best description I could muster up for this expression I had seen him make before ^^) considering something inside his head. “I guess we should all go… we would be able to showcase our skills like Hoya said and that would make Mr. Lee happy.”

“It’s settled then.” Woohyun took out his phone and searched his contacts. “I have too many female contacts… who should I choose?! Aha, I’ll just do eenie meenie minie mo…”

While Woohyun went through all 500 or so girls on his phone, the others bit their lips and scratched their heads while they tried to come up with one girl they were close enough to take to the party.

Myungsoo however grinned to his left side where Chaeyeon was sitting, nibbling on her food and not paying attention to the rest of the guys. He put down his chopsticks and held up Chaeyeon’s hand.

“Awh, Myungsoo what are you doing?! I was just about to put my favorite food into my mouth!” She pointed with her chopstick to the floor where a little piece of egg lay.

“Sorry. But, I’M TAKING CHAEYEON!” Myungsoo was relieved he had such a close female friend. He wouldn’t have to ask someone he was barely close with now.

The other guys at the table stood up in protest. “Hey that’s not fair! She’s close with all of us, why do you get to take her?” “Yeah! I hardly know any other girl here so give her to me!”

Chaeyeon looked down so her hair formed a curtain between her burning face and the rest of the cafeteria whose occupants were listening to their argument intently.

“Myungsoo oppa already has a date for next week? That’s too bad…” A girl nearby looked sadly down at her table.

“I thought they were close to a lot of girls!” Another girl who had given cookies to the seven boys whimpered.

Myungsoo and the others were oblivious to the outside remarks and continued their petty debate.

“Nope, I knew her first so I get to have her. Isn’t that right, Chaeyeon?” Myungsoo stood smugly with Chaeyeon giving a small nod. He still hung on to her hand to prove she was his and boy, did it give her butterflies.

The boys wracked their heads, thinking of other girls since they knew Myungsoo was definitely not letting go of Chaeyeon. She finally tugged loose of his hold and resumed eating as inconspicuously as possible and avoided all eye contact as she stared with sudden interest in the floor patterns.

 

 

 

 

 

“Great, now my only chance to get close to her again is ruined.” Key smacked his head down to the lunch table and grieved silently for a minute or so.

Taemin tried to brighten his hyung’s spirits. “You can have my banana milk if it makes you happier!”

Key looked up with his head still on the table and smiled weakly. “No it’s fine Taeminnie, drink up.”

“You still have that fashion design class with her right? Just get close to her then. It’s not like all hope is lost.” Minho questioned as he pulled up his socks and tied up his cleats.

“I know. We talk sometimes but that Myungsoo or L or whatever he calls himself now is constantly texting her during class. How does he even do that?! He’s playing piano!” Key hit the table with his fist in anger and rubbed the sore spots shortly after.

“That guy has it all doesn’t he.” Jonghyun eyed the flower boy looking student, trying to find something, just SOMETHING, that could be said as a flaw. But there was nothing that could be seen. “Yes, he certainly does. Looks, smarts, he plays an instrument, and when he changes for PE, I’ve seen his noticeable abs.”

“WHO’S SIDE ARE YOU ON?!” Key screeched in frustration.

From what he had learned from Chaeyeon the other day, Key knew what Myungsoo was today was manufactured by her. The looks and the fit body were not there a year ago. He had gone in circles in his mind whether or not to spill about Myungsoo to the rest of his friends and possibly to the rest of the school. It would certainly guarantee the loss of Myungsoo’s friends and a whole lot of fans. But, he just couldn’t. How would Chaeyeon see him then? Definitely not some Greek god who just saved the planet. It was more like a person who just killed someone and was looking for applause.

*Why must I like a girl who won’t ever like me back?* Key sighed once again and sank back to the table.

He had tried to somehow make his mind believe he liked someone else by finding a good trait of girls sitting in the cafeteria during lunch. But the thoughts were never positive. *Ugh. Ugh. Not my type. DEFINITELY not my type. Whoa, cover your body, girl! Has a boyfriend. Too much makeup. Rumored to be a . . Possibly pregnant. Nope.* It didn’t work to say the least.

Onew held out a bucket of chicken. “Looks like someone needs some fried chicken to brighten up their day!”

Key scowled and showed unimpressed eyes but took a drumstick anyways.


I am soooo sorry to @White_Tiger for this chapter ;_; Like I said on my status, I wrote two chapters yesterday before going to bed so this chapter happened before your comment. Sorry again!

 

I hope you guys are liking this so far! I have ideas for a new fanfic but I probably won't start it until this one is over or summer comes (but then again I have school in summer... DX). Thanks for reading!