Park with Key... and Friends

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

“YAH, KEY!” Onew struggled to speak against Key’s strong grip on his mouth. “We’re already at the park so LET GO!!”

Key took his hand off and disgustedly wiped his hand on his pants because of the chicken hyung’s spit.

He pointed to a big tree with lots of shade and led the group over.

“Ahhhh… time to relax.” Key flung down his backpack and lifted his arms above his head to stretch. He then pulled out six banana milks.

Onew, Jonghyun, and Minho all gagged at the same time. “Banana milk again?! We have that every single time!” Jonghyun bat the containers out of Key’s hand. Taemin’s eyes widened in horror and quickly snatched his precious milks off the ground before they rolled down into the playground.

Chaeyeon shrugged and grabbed a banana milk from the maknae. She thought they were delicious.

Minho held his nose as Key, Chaeyeon, and Taemin peeled back the foil (A/N: I’m guessing that’s what the lid thing is called? If you drink the one that Taemin drinks or if you drink Yakult you know what I mean.). “I get nauseous whenever people drink banana milks now. I can’t even stand regular bananas!”

Onew gasped for air theatrically and clutched at his throat. “I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I need to smell my emergency stash of chicken!” He pulled out his weekly tub of KFC and inhaled deeply.

It was a wonder Onew wasn’t fat.

After the tasty drink, Chaeyeon had begun to forget about Myungsoo. Well, maybe a little.

“Oooooh! The swings on the playground are open! The little kids usually take them so I never get to play on them as much as when I was a little kid.” Taemin clapped his hands joyfully and ran down the hill.

Key shook his head in amusement. “As if he’s not still a little kid. Come on, Chaeyeon. Let’s leave these idiots to themselves.”

The other two were still mesmerized by Onew’s lifesaving chicken and were taking huge bites out of the bucket while their hyung complained nonstop.

“Key umma! Push meeee!” Taemin waited impatiently on the swing and kicked his feet against the rubber floor.

“Okay, okay wait one second.” Key reached his swing and began to push him higher and higher until he seemed as if he was kicking the clouds.

“Careful!” Chaeyeon watched from the side and prayed that Taemin wouldn’t fall off. She was never a fan of swings. For crying out loud, they were roller coasters without the protection!

“Do you want to try?” Key nodded toward the empty swing next to Taemin.

She shook her head quickly. “Nope, I’m fine.”

He smiled. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

Key grabbed her hand and hefted her into the seat. “YAH WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!!!” No matter how much Chaeyeon struggled, he kept a powerful hold on shoulders to keep her from getting up.

He then took a step back and used all his strength to give a push to Chaeyeon who went flying into the air. She clutched the metal chains on either side so tight her knuckles turned while and shut her eyes tightly. Even with all that, she could still feel her stomach dropping and the rush of wind.

Key didn’t yet see the fear in her face and continued pushing. Finally he noticed the silence.

“Don’t people usually laugh and whoop when they go on swings?”

No answer came.

“Hellllloooooo?”

Again, there was no answer.

Key worriedly crossed to the front and stopped Chaeyeon before she kicked him. She was still frozen in her scared state.

“Hey, you’re not moving anymore.” He loosened the tight grip she had and within moments, her whole body relaxed.

Chaeyeon’s eyes fluttered open and she took several shaky breaths to calm herself. “I t-told you not to p-put me on there.”

Key scratched his head in confusion. “Are you scared of swings or something?”

She looked down in embarrassment. “Yes.”

He looked at the slight sheen of sweat that had appeared on her face and the tension that was still visible. “I’m sorry.” He said quietly and took her in for a warm, safe hug.

She was shocked at the sudden skinship but hugged back after a second. Key’s body seemed to give off waves of calm and warmth.

“Hey what’s going on over there?” Taemin shouted down from his position on the fast moving swing.

Key quickly let go of Chaeyeon in shock. “Uhrm nothing. The swing is making you see things Taemin.”

“NUH-UH. HEY HYUNGS, I THINK I SPOT A LOVE LINE OVER HERE!” Taemin shouted at the top of his lungs to the three guys stuffing their faces.

Onew looked up with a huge drumstick in his mouth and greasy hands gripping another piece of chicken. “Hmmphhff…?”

The other two also stared confusedly at Taemin. “Who are you talking about?” Jonghyun called.

Taemin pulled off a cool landing by jumping right when the swing reached its highest point. He pointed two accusing fingers at the two people who were hugging a moment before.

“THESE PEOPLE!” He crossed his arms as if he just solved some big mystery.

The three gave each other knowing smiles. “It was not like it was unexpected, Taemin.”

Key quickly ‘ahemed’. “Well, I should have known bringing you to the park was a bad idea. Let me walk you home… WITHOUT these people.” He added the last part after the others got up to torture him again.

 

 

 

 

 

“I hope the stuff they said didn’t offend you too much. They don’t know what they’re talking about.” Key shook his head at the unforgettable events.

“Nah, I’m fine. They were really fun actually. Lots more fun than when I hung out with Myungsoo…” *Ah! Myungsoo… why do I have to think about him?!*

“Really?! Do you think you want to hang out again then? Without the others of course. They’re such a pain in the .”

“Sure.” Chaeyeon couldn’t help but smile at Key’s absolutely beaming face.

“Yah, Chaeyeon, where were you today?” Myungsoo stared disapprovingly at the two who were reaching her house.

Chaeyeon looked down and didn’t stop walking.

“Hey, why are you talking like you’re her mother? Just leave her alone. You cause her enough pain as it is.” Key replied with a stony gaze.

“What are you even talking about? She’s my best friend. I know her better than you ever will.” Myungsoo replied with the same tone.

“You knew she felt constantly left out and forgotten when you hung out with the kingkas? You knew how she thought you guys were separating? Heck, I bet you don’t even know she’s even sitting at your lunch table half the time. I notice every single thing! You don’t even deserve to be her friend.” Key stomped ahead to Chaeyeon’s house, towing her in.

Myungsoo stayed staring at the spot where Key and Chaeyeon were. *Was I really that ignorant? That blond guy was right… I don’t deserve to be with her.*