We are INFINITE

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Myungsoo turned and closed the door behind him, locking it shut. He turned his head to the side to the house where he was sure Chaeyeon was busy cramming for a test or procrastinating by watching variety shows.

But he wouldn’t be going over today.

Today was the first time they were going to be at the Woolliment building. 

A big van pulled up to the front of Myungsoo’s house and honked twice. To prevent Dongwoo from disturbing the whole neighborhood, he sprinted quickly to the car.

“Do you have the address?” Dongwoo looked at the rearview mirror to catch Myungsoo’s answer.

He pulled out a slip of paper that had the address of the company and the directions. “Yep, turn right when you hit that stoplight.”

The other six were also dressed in sweats and they all had the same nervous-yet-excited face.

Sungyeol nudged Myungsoo who was sitting next to him. “What do you think he’ll make us do?”

Myungsoo began to shrug when Woohyun suddenly spoke up. “I’m guessing we’re going to sing for him and then maybe dance? This is not good… I’ve never had dance lessons before.”

Hoya smirked from the passenger seat and did a quick popping move in the seat. “I totally got that all down.”

Sungyeol tried to mimic the cool looking move but it ended up looking like he was having a muscle spasm. He gritted his teeth and stared in frustration at his arm trying to make it move the way he wanted it to. With a loud sigh he flopped backwards and looked angrily at the top of the car.

                                                                                                                          

 

 

 

 

“We’re here!!” Dongwoo pressed on the brakes and looked back at the five sleeping guys in the back. He looked at Hoya and they both evilly grinned.

Hoya took out his phone and found his favorite song. Once Dongwoo covered his ears, he cranked the volume to the max and the music.

As the lyrics from Rain’s “September 12th” came blasted from Hoya’s phone each of the five people shut their eyes tightly and covered their ears. Sungyeol chucked a nearby neck pillow in the direction of the noise blindly while Myungsoo slowly opened his eyes and gave the two in the front death glares.

He rubbed his eyes in attempt to erase the bags but it didn’t work. He stayed up almost all night thinking about today.

“There you guys are!” Mr. Lee stood at the front of the Woollim building. “Hurry and come in, we have lots of stuff to go over today.”

The seven quickly exited Dongwoo’s van and stepped into the spacious building.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Each guy bowed 45 degrees as they passed by Mr. Lee at the entrance.

“Let’s go into the conference room.”

All seven of them shuffled into the room containing a long table and lots of official looking black office chairs with the CEO closing the door behind them.

After they all sat down Mr. Lee began. “Welcome to Woollim! We have to sort out a bunch of information and dates before you guys debut in June… let’s see here…”

The guys looked with wide eyes to each other. Sunggyu spoke up. “Sir? Did you say June? That’s only eight months from now! Excuse me for asking but isn’t that too short? I heard most trainees have two or three YEARS before they debut so they perfect their vocal and dancing skills.”

The CEO looked up from his paperwork with his pen still poised over a signature line. “That’s true but the thing is, we need to start debuting groups now. You guys are our first group and it took us ages to find some talented people like you so we just simply have to do this fast.”

The friends eyed each other worriedly, all excitement now faded away. It was replaced with full on anxiety and stress.

Mr. Lee cleared his throat. “Well since that’s out there already, let’s start with the basics. First, a leader. Do you guys have an idea on who would be a good leader in this group? I had a feeling that Sunggyu would be a nice leader. He’s the oldest and he seems to be mature enough to handle it.”

They all agreed and the post was given to Sunggyu. “I will do my best.”

Mr. Lee scribbled his name onto a sheet of paper. “Okay… based on what I heard from the noraebang, Dongwoo and Hoya will be the rappers and they can do some singing parts for slow ballad songs. Sunggyu can be the lead vocal while Woohyun is the main. Sungjong and Sungyeol will both be vocals. L will be the visual and also a vocal.”

Sunggyu looked up again. “Wait, excuse me again, but who’s L and where’s Myungsoo in this set up?”

“Oops, I forgot to tell you. Myungsoo’s stage name will be L.”

Myungsoo stopped tilting backwards in his chair and exclaimed loudly. “Wait, WHAT?! Why is my name being changed? And what is a ‘L’?”

Mr. Lee shifted his weight uncomfortably in his chair. “Well, we decided that your name was too close to Park Myungsoo so we decided to give you L, the English letter. It sounds pretty cool don’t you think?”

Myungsoo took several breaths to calm himself down. He really wanted to sing even though he never really thought about it before and this little problem wasn’t going to stop him. “Okay, yeah. It sounds fine.”

Mr. Lee spoke quickly. “In practice and in your personal lives of course you’re still going to be known as Myungsoo but just on stage and on variety shows, you’ll be L.”

Myungsoo nodded curtly and hoped not a lot of anger showed. He didn’t want the CEO to get a bad first impression.

“Moving on, this is the most exciting piece yet: your group name. I came up with it myself. Infinite.”

Sungjong looked confusedly at their boss. “You mean the car?”

“What? No, no. Like the sideways 8. It would represent the fact that you guys have unlimited possibilities and you guys will never stop improving.” Mr. Lee gestured wildly in the air to demonstrate his point. It showed that he was proud of the name.

The guys were hyped up over the name as well.

Hoya looked to Dongwoo. “Wow. Infinite. It’s quite good. It sounds cool and it has a meaning behind it.”

Sungyeol tested out a greeting. “We are INFINITE. Please support us!” Myungsoo glanced at him in amusement. “It sounds quite good doesn’t it?”

Mr. Lee’s grin grew even wider when he saw the members liked it too. “I knew you would like it! We hired composers to put together around twenty guide tracks for you guys to listen to. We can meet next… Monday to decide more things. Here, take this packet and go over it with your parents and sign some things and listen to the songs and decide which ones you guys want to have on your album! We’ll start doing dance and singing practice next time.”

Myungsoo looked at the clock. It was already 6 PM. *Wow, that went by fast. It seems we were only here a couple of minutes ago.*

Each of the members of the new group Infinite grabbed a CD and several sheets of paper from the table and walked out to Dongwoo’s car.

Sungyeol got giddy right when they passed the front door. “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh we’re Infinite. INFINITE, I TELL YOU, INFINITE!”

Several pedestrians looked annoyed at the screaming teenager but he didn’t care and neither did the others as they started hopping around and screaming too.

Mr. Lee chuckled to himself as he spotted the seven guys making a ruckus down on the sidewalk. *These guys are special all right.*


 

Yay, I actually made two chapters this week. Well, fifteen minutes before PST turns this week into next. 

I don't know exactly how entertainment companies and their new trainee groups make these decisions so I just made up this whole meeting between Infinite and their CEO, Lee Jung Yeop. Excuse me if I got it horribly wrong XD