The Start of the Makeover

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

Chaeyeon’s excitement and impatience made the makeover begin on the first day of summer vacation.

“Come on! Come on! I booked an appointment at the salon for 1:30, it’s almost 2:00 now! Do you want to stay a nerd and bee bullied forever?!” She gestured frantically toward her car with a crazed expression.

*Jeez… I’ve never seen her this worked up before.* Myungsoo staggered through the front door, not even bothering to put on his beat up tennis shoes properly, and strode briskly toward the already open car door.

He slumped onto the seat and sighed, dreading the oncoming day.

Chaeyeon quickly put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway. “Don’t look like that, this is going to help you become the kingka of high school next year! I guarantee it one hundred percent.”

Myungsoo stared at her beaming face and heaved another sigh. His stomach grumbled due to the lack of lunch.

Within minutes, the car pulled up to a girly looking salon, complete with pink doors, windows plastered with all types of hot K-pop celebrities, and a store sign signaling they were arriving at Yoori’s Hair and Spa.

He glared at all the girly aspects and simply said, “Hell no.”

Chaeyeon scowled but shook off the negative response and stepped out into the hot summer air.

Myungsoo stubbornly sat in the car with his arms crossed and slouched.

His friend was forced to open his door. “Just look at the shop for second. Half of the people getting their hair done are guys. And look how handsome and famous they all look! All the pictures on the windows aren’t because the shopkeepers are fans, those celebrities actually come here to get their hair done! So Kim Myungsoo, I’m telling you to get your in there and get your hair fixed now!” Chaeyeon seethed.

Myungsoo tilted his head in thought. *Will this place really make me look cooler? I’m getting tired of all the bullying and this is worth a shot.*

With that, Myungsoo followed Chaeyeon into the posh hair salon.

“Annyeonghaseyo! Do you have an appointment?” asked a bright, smiley receptionist.

“Yes, my friend here,” Chaeyeon pointed at Myungsoo. “Is the one here for a haircut. I made an appointment for 1:30 but it seems that we are a bit late.” She finished the last part sheepishly.

The lady whipped her head at the boy who Chaeyeon was signaling in the direction of and she looked as if she was thinking a nerd like him shouldn’t be 100 miles within her shop.

“All right then, our best hairdresser Soobin will be with you in just a second.” She looked at Myungsoo once again with a hint of disgust. “Your friend here looks like he needs help from the best of the best.”

The anger that flashed in Chaeyeon’s eyes went unnoticed by the haughty receptionist as her high heels clicked away. *YAH how could that woman treat Myungsoo like that.. like he’s not even there! Insulting him that way is just so wrong.*

Chaeyeon cleared awkwardly. “So… have you thought about the style of hair you want to get? Or do you want the stylist to choose?”

“I think I’m just going to go with the Soobin person’s suggestions. I have no experience in this field whatsoever.” Myungsoo replied as he flipped through magazines filled with feminine looking boys.

Jealously filled his heart as each and every page he glanced at contained countless flower boys that could easily impress all the girls on the street. *I wonder what it’s like to be like them, to have females swooning at the sight of me and confessing their love.*

“Annyeong!” The sudden, booming voice surprised the two friends. “Is this the gentleman I’ll be working on today?”

The girl that stood before them seemed much friendlier than the last one with a messy bun full of thick light brown hair. She had the looks all Korean teens prayed for: big, round eyes with double eyelids, long eyelashes, thick healthy hair, long, skinny legs, and an innocent face.

“Uhm, y-yes. That would be me.” Myungsoo raised his arm dorkishly and instantly regretting the childish move.

Chaeyeon raised her eyebrows in surprise. *Wow, this girl must look seriously hot in front of Myungsoo’s eyes. I’ve never heard him stutter, ever! Even when he made his speech in front of the entire high school yesterday.*

Soobin led the way over to her station which was filled with combs of every size and hair dryers with many settings and different interchangeable nozzles.

A seemingly special comb sat along in a glass case. It immediately drew Chaeyeon’s attention.

“Why is that one separated from the rest?” She couldn’t keep in her curiosity.

“Oh, that comb was used on Yoona from Girl’s Generation.” Soobin said nonchalantly as if famous singers asked her to do their hair was no big deal and happened all the time.

“No kidding! Whoa!” Both Myungsoo and Chaeyeon had to pick their jaws off the floor. This hairstylist was no joke.

“How would you like your hair done?” Soobin raised her scissors and snipped at the air twice.